PDA

View Full Version : That oh so terrible sound of a cat barfing x 4

sasvermont
12-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Well, night after night, while I am sleeping, I hear the sound of at least one cat barfing somewhere in the house. It is like a game to find the "present" once the sun comes up. Since I have four cats, it is four times the amount of noise and mess. I wonder how the folks with more than four cats tolerate it! I fear having to use the facility some sleepy night, and having to step in one of those land mines. I usually find a dried up pile of half eaten cat food, sitting on a window sill or book shelf. Do you folks with multiple cat homes do a routine hairball thing? I never see hair in my land mines, just cat food!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. Sorry for such an icky subject so early in the day! :eek:

christa
12-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Brodie throws up almost every day. And sometimes more than once. And he's not a graceful vomit'er! :eek: I don't know what I would do if both of mine vomited on a regular basis.

Gin
12-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Oh, the dreaded 'Erp Alert'. It's a horrible sound, especially when you're half asleep. Since it doesn't seem to be hairball related, do you think a change in diet would help?

orangemm
12-11-2005, 12:08 PM
I know the sound too well.

But, it's always a conflict...should I get up and clean the mess or should I wait and take my chances? I'm usually nice and cozy in my bed, so I wait til morning to find my prize. :eek:

Kirsten
12-11-2005, 12:26 PM
I also know the sound well. In the years before her passing; Katz threw up almost every day. For some reason she prefered my bed, or - which was even worse - objects like the telephone or the answering machine.

Also, she liked vomiting down from high places, like the stereo or the fridge.

Luckily, Luna and Lily do not throw up that much.

Kirsten

momcat
12-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Groucho is an only cat and fortunately he doesn't vomit very often. I did call our vet about it once because I didn't notice anything hairball related. It was a milky colored fluid and food. Our vet said it WAS hairball and recommended putting vaseline on his upper lip. As he would try to clean it off, he'd swallow it. Once in his system the vaseline would keep things moving. Our vet also said hairball treatments are just flavored vaseline. It works for us.

catmandu
12-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Scrappy 2 was ill,and thats rare as she had always had a bit of a cast iron stomach!
I hope that theres not a Flu Bug going around!!
The Meezers still bolt thier food and lose it,all the time!

kb2yjx
12-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Despite having 13 Christmas under his paw, Ralph has not learned that if he eats the fake tree, he will throw it up several minutes later. And does he make noise....glug...glug...glug then he pukes!!!! YUCK!!! Sandra

G535
12-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Finnigan is also an only cat and he only does it once every couple of weeks. When I had lots of cats it was an everyday chore to clean up the little piles.

Felix
12-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Felix never throws up.He prob done it twice in his life.Thats why he has to take meds twice a week to make his bowls loose so he can pass his furballs that way :o :rolleyes:

kimlovescats
12-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Oh yes ... I have several who insist on swallowing their dry food whole ... and immediately throw it back up! :rolleyes: I really only have one who barfs up hairballs regularly and that is my long-haired Coon mix Dexter. I have learned to just let them stay a while and dry out good ... it makes for easier cleaning! :p

krazyaboutkatz
12-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Sunny is my barf boy because he'll sometimes eat too fast or try to run and play right after eating so this will make him throw up. Sky and Storm will usually just throw up hairballs. I give all of my furkids hairball medicine at least 1 time a week.

Barbara
12-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Are all of your four barfers? Here its mainly Tigris who devores his food too greedily and then it happens. Or Filou if he has eaten grass. That clear liquid of his with some grass is something you hardly see. I know exactly how it feels at my feet ;)

jenluckenbach
12-12-2005, 11:39 AM
There was once a time that I would hear the sond and dutifully get p, find and clean up the mess.......no LONGER!! I just leave it go. I will get it later. :p

Luckily, mine are usually just logs of hair. Sometimes liquid surrounds the log (this is the hard part to plean up.) I think my NEXT carpet will be that yellow/brown, liquid color. :rolleyes: