PDA

View Full Version : * What does your dog like to eat apart from meat? *

baywatch babe
04-03-2002, 03:37 AM
Chubby loves meat and bones. I wanna find out what else dogs eat apart from meat and bones. I feed her meat very often and when we eat our dinner we give her some left-overs, I mean she likes them too. Sometimes I buy her dog biscuits but she won't eat any now. I think she wants something new, maybe she's fed up with eatig the same food everyday. Can you suggest new meals for my dog? Maybe even new recipes? Thank-s a lot for your help!

sabies
04-03-2002, 10:25 AM
Cottage cheese - a little bit now and then (like once or twice a week) is great for the dog's digestive system. My dog likes meat stuff only and I was shocked to find out she LOVES cottage cheese. She recognizes the sound of the container opening and is at my feet within seconds.

Also - raw eggs, good for a shiny coat.

tatsxxx11
04-03-2002, 10:32 AM
My girls love all fresh fruits and veggies, especially sliced apple and baby carrots. I add several pieces with each meal. And they love yogurt; plain yogurt, and cottage cheese. They get a tablespoon or so with each meal! Most dogs like fish. If your doggie is on a mostly meat diet, you may want to consider adding some freshly cooked fish. (No bones) Many dogs love the addition of green beans, fresh or canned, as well. My girls are especially fond of salmon! Do you give yours any dry kibble at all? Dry food does help to keep the teeth clean! Make sure if you do give Chubby bones, it's only the knuckle type!

Here's a link to a good site of lots of doggie recipes!

http://www.doggieconnection.com/recipe/

And here's a favorite recipe of my girl's!

Divine Doggy Dinner

1/2 lb. extra lean ground beef (OR turkey, chicken, lamb, fish)
1/4 cup cooked rice, preferably brown rice
one small potato
1 large carrot
1 cup greenbeans, preferably fresh
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup plain, lo fat yogurt

Brown the meat in a pan. When completely cooked, drain the fat. Add the cooked rice; mix well. Set aside.
Cut the potato, carrot, and beans into small bite-sized pieces. Place in a pot with water; bring to a boil. Simmer until veggies are tender (about 15-20 minutes). Drain. Add the vegetables to the meat mixture. Add garlic powder; toss thoroughly under low heat. Let the dinner cool thoroughly before serving to prevent burning. When cooled, top each serving with one or two teaspoons plain yogurt and serve with a smile!!

Yield: about 2 dinners

Sudilar
04-03-2002, 11:21 AM
Shiloh loves to eat anything!!:eek: Carrots, cucumbers, cake, cookies, apples, bananas, watermelon.....you name it, she'll eat it!!

Deb Motter
04-03-2002, 12:29 PM
Bonnie will also eat anything, absolutely anything that we have. Her very favoritest thing is peanut butter, then cheese, spaghetti, eggs, bananas, icecream, carrots, rice, any cooked vegetable including cauliflower, apples,...

Today is her birthday, (1yr) however so she gets a big knuckle bone!

anna_66
04-03-2002, 12:39 PM
HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY BONNIE! Roxey Angus & Anna

manda99
04-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Anything!
Pork Chop loves to lick popsicles - he does it so gently it's funny.

Sudilar
04-03-2002, 02:26 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BONNIE

jennifert
04-03-2002, 03:24 PM
Sandra, that recipe that you gave is what Duncan has to eat right now for his belly! I made a huge batch of it last night for him. He loves it!!

Cincy'sMom
04-03-2002, 04:20 PM
I think the easier question to answer is what don't my girls like to eat! Sadie wasn't sure what do to with spaghetti noodles, but everything else we have given them, dog treats, meats, vegies, fruits, sweets, peanut butter, cheese, on and on they have loved! We even gave them a small bite each of sauekraut to see what they would do...they begged for more!

tatsxxx11
04-03-2002, 04:45 PM
How was din-din Duncan???:) Good boy!

sabies
04-03-2002, 04:58 PM
great link tatsxxx1 (doggieconnection.com), thanks! I'm lazy when it comes to preparing food but I can at least try on special days like her birthday.

My dog hates fruit and vegetables, really only likes meat. She won't eat any of my leftovers - I'm a vegetarian :).

tatsxxx11
04-03-2002, 06:00 PM
My girls think they should eat like every day is their birthday!!:D Just today, Star and Cody polished off a BIG bowl of mac & cheese this afternoon while I was cleaning upstairs!!:rolleyes: Oh well, it was good, the little bit I tasted!!:D

LoudLou
04-03-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
...Just today, Star and Cody polished off a BIG bowl of mac & cheese this afternoon while I was cleaning upstairs!!:rolleyes: Oh well, it was good, the little bit I tasted!!:D

RUH ROH, Star and Cody were you two NAWTEE doggies?;) :D

What doesn't Louie eat! So, far we haven't really come across anything yet. :o :)

slleipnir
04-03-2002, 07:11 PM
-cough- one word..EVERYTHING -cough-

delidog
04-03-2002, 07:25 PM
this comes under the heading of:"if it lays still long enough",then it is food

Kfamr
04-03-2002, 07:27 PM
As for meals, Sometimes i take som of Simba's regular dry dog food and put a little shredded cheese on top then take a cup of atwer put it in the microwave for about a minute and then pour some of the water in with the food and cheese and stir it...the food makes the water long of flavored and gravy like and the cheese is just because Simba loves cheese.

Just make sure the water isnt really hot. He loves it. And seems to enjoy it alot.

minpinmom
04-04-2002, 12:21 PM
Bucky loves cooked carrots and sweet potatoes:D He likes all cooked veggies but those are his favorites.

KYS
04-05-2002, 05:32 PM
Sheba is a picky eater , but loves meat.
Rocky likes almost everything accept for vegetables
and fruit.
Pepper will inhale anything she can get in her mouth.

They all have a favorite snack food of McDonalds french fries. :)

Pam
04-05-2002, 06:26 PM
Anything us humans are eating is what Bella wants. What Bella gets is another story! :D

Logan
04-05-2002, 06:29 PM
Socks!!!!! :D