PDA

View Full Version : New kitten trying to nurse on my dog

jbovee1
12-10-2005, 11:33 PM
I have a new kitten that is about 10 weeks old. He and the dog get along great. I think Max (the kitten) thinks Gracie (the dog) is his momma. He is latching onto her nipples and sucking. Is this ok? The dog just lays there and doesn't seem to care. I wasn't sure if I should just allow it or try to discourage it.

Joanne

Cinder & Smoke
12-10-2005, 11:50 PM
I think Max (the kitten) thinks Gracie (the dog) is his momma.
He is latching onto her nipples and sucking.
Is this ok?

:D

Reminds me of First Shepherd Casey and First Kat Fred. :)

We'd just built the house and Casey was enjoying "her" house ...
when the tiny abandoned kitten arrived.

Fred would toddle around the house searching for poor Casey ...
then curl up between her legs and try to nurse!

Always knew it was time to feed the Kat when poor Casey started
to *Whiiiiine* from her favorite rug.

The only "problem" I ever noticed was the Kat spoke "Dawg" for her entire life ~
she *BARKED* her Meows!

/s/ Phred

Beauty17
12-12-2005, 09:20 AM
If the dog doesn't mind, I don't see any reason to worry. They are forming a bond in the way that seems to satisfy them both. When I was a girl, a stray kitten at my grandmother's farm started nursing on a stray dog that she has adopted, and the dog, who was spayed, actually started to lactate. At least my aunt believed she was lactating. Since it is true that even human men have been known to lactate if they nurse babies with enough perseverance, I think it could be possible. I know another stray kitten who chose an elderly cocker spaniel as her surrogate mother - not for nursing, but for sleeping with. It seemed to comfort the dog as much as the kitten. I guess love is love, the world around. Animals know how to find it.