PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem...Can anyone help?

RobiLee
12-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey all!

My computer keeps shutting down on me. I'll be in the middle of typing something and it just shuts off and restarts. It has done it 3 times today so far. It has been going on for a little while now. Why is it doing this? I'm so afraid I have a virus or something. I run my spyware and norton stuff all the time. I had some kind of virus before and it destroyed my computer back then and I'm so afraid it is happening again.

Any help or advice?

Thanks...Robin :)

Miss Z
12-10-2005, 05:01 PM
You mean it completely turns itself off? I'd check that it's plugged in properly, but i don't know an awful lot about computers. Otherwise, get a computer technician to have a look at it.

Jessika
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
This could be a number of reasons. Your chip could be overheating is my first guess. Virus COULD be another reason. Another guess would be conflicting hardware but unless you've installed something recently you could rule out that option.

How long has the computer been running before it restarts?

And make sure EVERYTHING is plugged in snugly in the back and that there is NOTHING in the way of the fans that cool off the inside

G535
12-10-2005, 06:42 PM
You should turn off "automatic restart", that way you'll get an error message which may tell you what's going on.

Vette
12-11-2005, 02:53 AM
Ive had my computer reboot on its own a few times before.. but it only does it when im viewing something in QuickTime.

does it do it only when you run certain type of programs?

king2005
12-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Sounds like its over heating to me.
When was the last time you cleaned off the dust on the CPU fan or checked to see if its even working?

Turn the computer off, open the case, use a Q-tip & clean off the fan blades. Turn the computer with the case still open & see if the fan startes to move..

Unless you have a $$$ case, the CPU seems to over heat if the fan get dirty. We usually just left the case open & pointed a large fan blowing into the case. We now have 80-100$ cases & they keep the computer really cool due to LOTS of fans, larger fans & more empty space.

Remember if your CPU overheats too many times, it'll jusr fry!!! SO its best to clean it every 6 months.

EDIT: if you smoke or others smoke near the computer, clean the fan monthly, the tar is heavy on the fan & REALLY bogs it down.

RobiLee
12-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll look into all of your comments. Its done it once today so far that I know of. It doesn't do it when I'm running any certain type of program. Today it did it while I was surfing PT.

My computer is usually on all day and I shut it down when I go to bed. Is that good or bad? What do you guys do?

Jessika
12-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I usually leave my computer on all the time and just restart or turn it off once a week. I've heard its bad to turn it off or restart a lot, kind of like stop-and-go traffic with a car. :) But I don't believe that would have anything to do with your problem. As someone above mentioned open up your case and clean EVERYTHING off, get some canned air and spray out the dust and take a q-tip and clean off the fans. If yuo can, while your computer is starting up, hit DEL or whatever to bring you to the BIOS and see if yuo can't see how hot your processor is running. It shouldn't be any hotter than 110 fahrenheit. If it is you'll probably have to look into investing in some better fans or some more heat sync for your processor.

G535
12-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Makes no difference if it's left on all the time or switched on and off a few times a day, I work with computers and have a housefull here, I can't afford to keep them all running so they're only on one at a time when it's needed. There's also the risk of damage from power surges and storms if you don't have a good surge protector.

Take the guess work out of it and turn off "automatic restart". :)