PDA

View Full Version : Careers with dogs

tz1
12-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Currently I'm a junior in college majoring in Political Science. Coming into college I was thinking that I wanted to go to law school and eventually become a lawyer. I've really changed my mind since then, and don't think that I would want to do that for an occupation.

When thinking about jobs I was thinking about that phrase: "you should do what makes you excited to wake up and go do your job everyday", and being a lawyer really doesn't appeal that much to me. I was really just thinking about the amount of money I would make in that profession. Anyways, I came to the conclusion that I would LOVE to do something with dogs.

I am going to finish my education as a political science major, and get my bachelors, but I was wondering if anyone knew some jobs that I might be able to get into that would be working with dogs everyday. I was really thinking something along the lines of a police k9 handler or something similar to that...Anyone know some of the requirements to do something like that?? Would I need to get a different degree?

KYS
12-09-2005, 08:49 PM
IF you want to change your major, How about a VET? :D

I did a google search and came up with lots of web sites.
Here is one:
http://www.pk9.com/documents/policy.html

If you want to be a police officer.
I would think you would need to contact the different
law enforcement agencies in your area.
They should point you in the right direction on whom
to contact for k-9 unit information. Not every area
has their own k-9 unit and each county/or state might have their own requirements.