PDA

View Full Version : Demodectic mange

denise52358
12-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Anybody had a puppy that had this?

pitc9
12-09-2005, 01:21 PM
I saved a Toy Fox Terrier from a bad home and he had Demodectic mange, his owner let it go so long his toes were bald and scabby. No furs around his eyes or the inside of his legs, and arm pits.

When I rescued my first GSD Sierra, she was 6 months old and after a while we realized she had Sarcoptic mange. She started loosing fur on her hocks and the edge of her ears. and NEVER stopped itching!!!!! (My husband and I wound up getting it too!!)
From my understanding Sarcoptic is the worse of the two being that it is highly contagious and Demodctic is not.
Your vet has to do a skin scrapping to determine what type of mange it is.
Do you have a dog that has mange, or that you think may have mange?
Here's a link with some info:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/mange1.html

denise52358
12-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Yes, unfortunately my Delilah has it. I noticed it last weekend as a red patch onher shoulder that seemed to grow. I took her to the vet this week and she is on an ointment that I have to apply to the area daily for a month. I just hope it doesnt' spread. The vet said she only saw 2 or 3 of the mites that cause it in the scrapings she took from 2 different places on Delilah's shoulder. It almost made me cry to hold my baby while the dr scraped her skin off. Now my girl has 2 "owies" on her shoulder. She's still my princess and she's still beautiful. Thanks God it is not contagious so Samson and Zukie won't get it.

I was just curious about others experiences with this as I have not encountered in any fo my other dogs before. The vet said she has seen alot of it lately.

pitc9
12-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Ouchie!! Poor Baby! :(
I know how it feels to see that happen to a baby of yours!
I hope she gets better soon!

chocolatepuppy
12-09-2005, 09:59 PM
My Rainbow Bridge Corey had it when he was a puppy. I had to bath him, every inch of him, not missing a spot, with something the vet gave us, until we got rid of it. Then he would go in for skin scrapings until they were sure it was gone.

AllAmericanPUP
12-09-2005, 10:18 PM
my 13 yr old lab has demodectic mange :(
i'm having a really tough time getting rid of it..we're trying nu stock now and it seems to be working

areias
12-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Yes, unfortunately my Delilah has it. I noticed it last weekend as a red patch onher shoulder that seemed to grow. I took her to the vet this week and she is on an ointment that I have to apply to the area daily for a month. I just hope it doesnt' spread. The vet said she only saw 2 or 3 of the mites that cause it in the scrapings she took from 2 different places on Delilah's shoulder. It almost made me cry to hold my baby while the dr scraped her skin off. Now my girl has 2 "owies" on her shoulder. She's still my princess and she's still beautiful. Thanks God it is not contagious so Samson and Zukie won't get it.

I was just curious about others experiences with this as I have not encountered in any fo my other dogs before. The vet said she has seen alot of it lately.

You know, from what I've read ALL dogs have the demodectic mange mite on them. It's only when seen in large numbers, that they will loose hair/itch. Therefore, seeing 2-3 mites is normal. You might want to get a second opinion on that. It usually dosen't start on the shoulders either-it's usually feet and around the head/base of the ears that you would see it. It sounds like what my Sam had, supposedly a reaction to a flea bite. And yes, one flea can cause a reaction like that. But please research it a bit, and maybe get a second opinion. I don't know your vet, but from an uncaring vet's perspective it is more profitable to treat something as something else, having no improvement, trying something else, and so on. I've seen it happen a couple times, unfortunately. :(

Eastwood Great Danes
12-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Mange is vet induced in the majority of cases in my opinion when they beat the he11 out of the immune system with multiple vaccines. The best course of action is to NOT do any dips for one thing. That only furhter damages the immune system. No drugs. No medicated shampoos. All these things and chemicals further mess with the dogs own ability to fight things. Sometimes these things will work only to end up with a new problem in pups. Usually UTI's follow. Its a chain reaction from crap that has been done to them in the name of bogus protection.
Feed the dog the best food you can buy (Raw would be good). Boost the pups immune system with Vita C and perhaps some echinachea herb. Wipe lemon juice on the effected areas.

Allecto
12-20-2005, 03:24 PM
My family had a sweet golden who was show-quality and AKC registered. She was dumped by her previous owner because her demodectic mange was so bad she was pretty much entirely bald and had badly infected skin lesions from scratching and chewing on herself until she bled. I had her for years, but she never regrew her hair in many of the spots she'd damaged, and we could never go too long it seemed without some localized spots popping up. I gave up early on on all aesthetic efforts, and just worried about preventing infection and controlling itching. Good food and some natural immune system boosting supplements seemed to make the biggest difference in severity and comfort level.