PDA

View Full Version : Don't get anyone a furry friend for christmas! BUT

Alysser
12-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Read this: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=media_tristatenewsalert&JServSessionIdr004=0i0boxsn41.app24b#5

Alysser
12-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Ugh! It's to the wrong link! What the article said was that: You shouldn't get someone a furry friend for christmas. With all the excitment and stuff the pet will be very stressed. Especially a new puppy. You can get a leash or the accessories and go get the dog after the holidays. Just a warning.

Alysser
12-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Got the right link: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=adopt_petsaspresents

Jessika
12-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Not to mention pets given as gifts for the holiday season are usually impulse buys and get dumped at the shelter after the holidays are over because the parents don't want to spend the time to properly train or housebreak puppies and stuff.

Vette
12-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Yeah its juts a bad idea to give anyone pets for chrismas.. or give pets away period.. unless its someone in your family..(maybe) other wise its too risky for the animal/s.

BC_MoM
12-08-2005, 10:43 PM
I have never encouraged anyone I've ever met to get a dog for a child/friend/family member for Christmas. I, myself, never asked for a dog for Christmas. I asked for a horse when I was younger, but never another living animal. haha

elizabethann
12-09-2005, 10:12 AM
I just saw a huge neon sign last night....puppies & kittens. This was outside a mall where there's a pet store.

You know somebody is going to buy one. It just depresses me. Some people just don't understand the time, money and patience to raise a pet. It shouldn't be an implulse buy. Most of these animals will probably end up at an animal shelter.

I wonder if there is any data from a shelter, which shows that a lot of puppies and kittens end up at their shelter in January and February. I wonder if you're looking for a purebread...the best time to go to a shelter is January or February? Just thinking out loud.

Jessika
12-09-2005, 11:27 AM
I wonder if there is any data from a shelter, which shows that a lot of puppies and kittens end up at their shelter in January and February. I wonder if you're looking for a purebread...the best time to go to a shelter is January or February? Just thinking out loud.

Actually studies DO show that the rates go up dramatically at shelters for drop-offs during January ;)

ParNone
12-09-2005, 11:42 AM
I would never get a puppy for anybody at anytime of the year. I feel like people should choose their own dog. I think that attaches more of a sense of responsibility, if they're doing the choosing.

I do however think X-mas time is a really good time to get a dog for myself. I usually have a lot of vacation at that time, which helps with bonding and getting off on the right foot on housebreaking. Also, the puppy can get lots of socialization with all the people and hubbub. I actually got Murph right before X-mas and he has the most stable temperament about anything and everything.

Par...

Allecto
12-09-2005, 01:57 PM
A related note that I think is cool:

I've been puppy-shopping for a long time, and a lot of the good breeders right now offer a 'christmas package' for their puppies... a leash, an adorable photo, a squeaky toy, and a letter from santa or the puppy's mom explaining that he or she wasn't ready yet (even if the puppy is old enough to go), but will be there after the Holidays. I thought that was both cool and responsible of the breeders.

Alysser
12-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Allecto, that is very responisible for the breeder to do! I LOVE THAT! That makes me relived. IF I did get any dog at ANY time of the year though it would be a rescue dog. If you want a purebred go to a rescue. But mutts are just as good! :D