PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on chihuahua

chealy731
12-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi umm i have a chihuahua and i was wondering if i should teach her how to sit and stuff like other dogs. I was hoping you could give some advice. Also do u know what it means when a dog keeps snorting? My chihuahua keeps doing that :confused: Thanks!

k9krazee
12-08-2005, 03:09 PM
A chihuahua is no different than any other dog, I would definately teach the essential basic commands like come, sit, stay etc. Not only is it a good bonding time, it also teaches her place in the pack and it could also save her life one day.

JenBKR
12-08-2005, 03:15 PM
I agree, teach her the commands. In fact, the best thing to do if you can is obedience training, I can't tell you how much it has helped my Roscoe. You may want to do private lessons though, since larger dogs usually go to the group classes. Good luck!

chealy731
12-08-2005, 03:16 PM
oo ok thanks! does anyone know how to train her commands by ourself or should i do obideience class? :confused:

Jessika
12-08-2005, 03:18 PM
I suggest taking her to basic obedience classes and starting there! :)

Jamieejo85
12-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi there! I am a fellow chihuahua owner. I have a few friends who have chihuahuas too and they can be a little difficult to train because most chihuahua owners spoil thieir little ones and let them get away with a lot. Personally, I have not taken Guapo, my chihuahua, to obedience because he has been quite easy to train but all my friends have done obedience with their chihuahuas and it has worked quite well!! Good luck! I hope to see some pictures of your dog!

JenBKR
12-08-2005, 03:20 PM
I suggest taking her to basic obedience classes and starting there! :)

I agree! It's a wonderful experience :)

Allecto
12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Basic commands can be taught by a rookie of you get a good guide and follow it closely. Obedience lessons might help both of you learn a lot, though, and will help you teach more than the bare minimum basic commands. If you go to a small-dog obedience training class, it could also help with her socialization.

Daisy and Delilah
12-08-2005, 03:43 PM
My chihuahuas are kinda stubborn and don't learn tricks well. They're as smart as can be but they do what they feel like doing most of the time. That snorting is reverse sneezing and is very common in chihuahuas. My small one snorts frequently but my large one only snorts occasionally. It's nothing to worry about. Good luck with your pup :)

chealy731
12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
thanks you guys! :) Oh and my chihuahua is 4 years old...so do u still think i should let her take an obdience class? And about how much is the class?

Jessika
12-08-2005, 03:57 PM
thanks you guys! :) Oh and my chihuahua is 4 years old...so do u still think i should let her take an obdience class? And about how much is the class?

Oh definitely! A dog is never too old to learn basic training!! :)

And prices vary significantly depending on where you go. I know when I was at PetCo their prices were... $95 for a six-week session (met once a week, but if you needed additional help you could come in early/stay late or come in on an off day etc).

chealy731
12-08-2005, 03:58 PM
ok thanks! i'll try to find a good obdience class! :D

BitsyNaceyDog
12-08-2005, 04:05 PM
My Chihuahua snorts too.:) I definitely suggest taking an obedience class with your chihuahua. I've never taken a class with my chihuahua because he was a rescue who was abused for 6 years before I got him. He's afraid of everything. I have taken an obediance class with my pug though and it was wonderful.

edit: I took a class at PetSmart, it was $100 for an 8 week class.

chealy731
12-08-2005, 05:29 PM
each pet? cause i have more than 1 dog.

Jessika
12-08-2005, 05:30 PM
I do believe you pay per pet, but just to be sure call the facility before hand and ask, some may have different policies.

k9krazee
12-08-2005, 05:39 PM
I would search around for obedience classes if that is what you really want to do. I found a local obedience class/club and it is $60 for 6 week course and the second dog is $50. Jack is the only dog I've ever taken to obedience (Well Micki and Mini went to puppy preschool...) but it has been a great experience, its a lot of fun or him and me. Plus, the socialization opportunity is great.

You don't really need to go to classes but it is a great way to be taught how to teach your dog.

Chica
12-08-2005, 06:57 PM
I have a chihuahua named Chica. I train her myself.But you have to give your dog the commands constantly and when they obey, you give your dog a treat and praise them. ;) I have been doing it since I got Chica as a puppy. I am also going to take her to obedience classes to help me train her more. :) She does pretty good, and it does take time. ;) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICA2/happy.jpg

CarrieB
12-11-2005, 06:58 PM
I have 2 chihuahuas (soon to be 3!) and they usually start weezing when they get excited or on their leash.. i have never met a chihuahua that hasn't so Im pretty sure its normal for them. And about the training.. i trained my own chihuahuas a few tricks like sit, lay, jump, beg,and go to the couch (they have there own miniature couch :)). It took a while to train them becaue all they could think about was getting there treat!