PDA

View Full Version : Betta Fish Help again

crazy_caique
12-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I know I have asked about betta fish before but I have other ?'s(in a few months I hope to get one)
will a 2.5gallon mini bow set up thing be ok?
where should I get my betta?
how long do they live?
plastic plants ok?

Jessika
12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Bettas can live for a few years if they are properly cared for. I had one for at least three or four years awhile back :)

Plastic plants are OK as well as a 2.5 gallon bowl should be fine. Grant it, the more space the betta has, the more active it will be. But its not too small. :)

Just keep in mind that they need a space at the top of the tank because bettas are surface breathers. So just in general if you wanted to put your betta in a bowl with a real plant etc just make sure there is enough exposed surface area for them to come up and breathe. ♥

I recommend getting your betta from a fish specialty store, NOT from a store like WalMart. Stores like WalMart DO NOT specialize in animal care so many of the fish they get are sick or aren't properly cared for. Also when you purchase fish from animal speciality or fish stores most will come with a guarantee so if the fish dies within the first X days from the purchase date you can usually bring it back for a refund or exchange.

Good luck!

crazy_caique
12-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Can I have a tank air cleaner thing?
If a betta flares it's fins it's a good sign right?

Uabassoon
12-07-2005, 07:18 PM
I prefer silk plants instead of plastic. Sometimes the plastic is a bit hard and can tear their fins. The best way to test it is to take a pair of panty hose and run it across the fake plant, it the plant makes a run in the panty hose then odds are it will tear the betta's fins. A 2.5 minibow is a fantastic tank for a single betta. They usually live 2-3 years.

Flatcoatluver
12-07-2005, 07:19 PM
if you see them flare it is a good sign that always tells me there healthy :)

Flatcoatluver
12-07-2005, 07:20 PM
I prefer silk plants instead of plastic. Sometimes the plastic is a bit hard and can tear their fins. The best way to test it is to take a pair of panty hose and run it across the fake plant, it the plant makes a run in the panty hose then odds are it will tear the betta's fins.
that a really good idea!! I have a plastic on and never thoguth of that hurting there fins!! thanks for telling me this

bckrazy
12-07-2005, 07:23 PM
*2.5 gallons is the perfect size! The Minibow set-up already comes with a filter and gravel, just add a couple silk/live plants and a cave (small terra cotta pots work well)... and don't forget to buy Amquel + Novaqua from your local pet store to dechlor the water. Water should be changed every 7-10 days and waste should be syphoned out as often as possible.

*Bettas live for 2-4 years, generally much longer if you buy from a breeder

*You should get your Betta from me! ;)

mehe, good luck.

crazy_caique
12-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks for all your help.I not be getting a betta for a while(a year or so)but I will remeber all your advice thanks everone :) :) :) :D