PDA

View Full Version : Leave Kia at the Vet? A boarding facility?

ramanth
04-02-2002, 03:16 PM
My mom called from Florida and my grandpa took a turn for the worse. The doctors are making him comfortable and they believe he will pass this week. There is now talk of me and my sisters driving down to Florida. Suddenly it dawned on me. Kia! I had totally forgotten about her!

Should I leave her at the vet? A boarding facility? With a friend?

It's such short notice.. I don't know if a facility or the vet would have room. And what of kennel cough?

:( :(

I'm just a wreck.

When you have to leave your animals.... where do you leave them?

aly
04-02-2002, 03:40 PM
Do you have any friends that could take care of her? I think she'd be less stressed in a home with someone, or even in your home if they could come to your house several times a day.

There are some nice boarding facilities though if you have to go that route. The only problem is you don't have time to research them. I would try to find one that does play groups and gives the dogs special attention so you don't have to worry about Kia getting bored to death sitting in a cage all day. I tend to think if you board them at the vet, they don't get as much attention. Well my old vet flat out told me that they don't have time to play with the animals they board because they are taking care of the sickies.

I'm sorry about your grandfather :( I wish I could watch Kia.

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-02-2002, 03:50 PM
I am sorry about your grandfather, Kimmy.

I agree with Aly about boarding her. We usually leave Drake with Andrew's parents or have my brother dogsit for us. A few times, I have asked a sorority sister to come and take care of him.

I would only board Kia as a last resort. Could Andy take care of her? Do you have any friends that Kia is OK with that could come and stay with her? I would watch after her if we lived closer. Good luck with your arrangements.

sasvermont
04-02-2002, 06:10 PM
Although I have cats, I often dog sit for friends' doggies. My cats don't mind dogs and I won't take a dog that hates cats.

I have boarded my cats at the Vet some time ago, for a week, and they were fine.

I have to cross the bridge in June and I plan to ask someone (post teenager) to stay here and pay them a per diem. The cats are always much happier having someone to stay with them. So I imagine a dog would like the same.

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I hope he does not suffer.

delidog
04-02-2002, 07:24 PM
get a house/pet sitter!!!! i just left deli for a week...and she would have it no other way....she is not stressed because her environment is not changed....i am comfortable knowing that my house isn't empty for a week...otherwise...is there any chance that you could bring her???? if you're driving it isn't difficult......

but no matter what...remember to tell whomever watches her...that she can be an escape artist...i am of course referring to the "Easter Hot Dog Incident!!!"

good luck...

best wishes for you and your family.....

delidog

Logan
04-02-2002, 07:39 PM
Kimmy, I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. A road trip from Michigan to Florida is quite long, and I don't blame you for wanting to leave Kia at home. I would definitely try to find a petsitter, if you feel comfortable that she won't try to escape. Otherwise, board her. Easter is over so they shouldn't be as busy, and you will not have the escape worries that you might have if she stayed at home.

I've said this before, but I found my petsitter through www.petsit.com . She is a wonderful person. I was very fortunate to find her.

Logan

Cincy'sMom
04-02-2002, 08:20 PM
Sorry to hear your grandfather is not doing well.

We have been fortunate enough that when we have left Sadie, someone in the family has been able to take her. We haven't left them since we got Cincy, but hopefully when we do, someone will still take them!

Being in Ohio and between you and Florida, I wish I could offer to watch Kia for you, unfortunatly Cincy is being spayed this week and it wouldn't work out well to have extra excitement...

I am sure something will work out for you.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-02-2002, 08:23 PM
I am sorry to hear about your grandfather...
I have never had to board a pet but I think if I had a trusted friend I would probably leave it with them first unless I had a trusted vet or pet hotel....
Hope everything works out o.k.

sammi
04-02-2002, 08:24 PM
A petsitter is the best. But you don't have time to check that out so I would go with boarding your baby - that way you will at least know that she is safe. You should be able to check these places out somewhat b/4 you go. You don't need to be worried about Kia at this time. I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. This is a very stressful time for you.

ramanth
04-02-2002, 11:59 PM
I talked to mom tonight and Grandpa got worse and the doctors said 48 hours.... :( :( :(

So mom and dad told my sisters and I to stay home. I talked to my friend Deb about staying at the house and she said she'd be able to check up on the animals but not stay at the house this time. (She's stayed at the house and watched the cats before)

Andy's parents would take her in a heartbeat but they are a couple hours out of the way... so they'd be a last resort.

Again... thank you all for your suggestions. I'm leaning heavily towards getting a pet sitter if an emergancy ever arises again.

(((Hugs)))

Gio
04-03-2002, 04:21 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about your grandfather :(

Dixieland Dancer
04-03-2002, 07:39 AM
Kimmy, I am sorry to hear about your Grandfather. {{{HUGS}}}

delidog
04-03-2002, 07:42 AM
kimmy,
where is your family in florida?????

you probably have some kia sitting volunteers right here if you need them!!!!!!;)

ramanth
04-03-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by delidog
kimmy,
where is your family in florida?????

you probably have some kia sitting volunteers right here if you need them!!!!!!;)

My grandparents live in Lansing but they would winter in a condo in Pensacola. So that is where they are.

It's hard because he is so far away. I really wish he could of come home. :(

anna_66
04-03-2002, 08:29 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. {{{Cyber hugs}}}
from all of us.

LoudLou
04-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Kimmy-
Very saddend to hear about your Grandpa.:( :( :( {{{HUGS}}} to you ...and Kia.

- Katie,Kit, Louie & The Beans

sabies
04-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

About pet sitters I have found it is hard to find one with short notice. I recommend looking into local kennels or sitters for the future right away. Good pet sitters will want to meet with the pet beforehand and establish familiarity with them. I live in an area where there are plenty of pet sitters, most of them bonded and insured, but it is still hard to find one that is available.

Check out kennels and ask your vet for suggestions. Also ask other dog owners around you who they use.

A pet sitter like once a month or doggie day care once a month may not be too expensive and would establish a relationship that would help ease anxiety (for you and Kia) when you go away for an extended time.

ramanth
04-03-2002, 10:45 AM
I'm definately going to look into kennels and pet sitters for the future.

At the moment, the only problem I could see with a pet sitter is that I live with my parents and they might be leary of having a stranger staying at their house.

But once I have my own place, I'm a bit more open and trusting. :)

tatsxxx11
04-03-2002, 10:53 AM
Dear Kimmy, I am so sad to learn about your Grandfather.:( We're keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. All our love to Kimmy and Kia. Sandra, Cody, Star and the Furkids.

jennifert
04-03-2002, 04:32 PM
So sorry about your grandfather. I'm sorry you couldn't be there with him but I'm sure your parents are glad they could be.
Just want you to know that you're on my mind everyday. It seems you and Kia have had a lot of things going on the last few months. If you need anything.....:)