PDA

View Full Version : oreo's pregnant- update

dab_20
12-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Well if you haven't seen the thread yet here it is.... http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=94301

Since my dad hasn't set a vet appoinment yet, I decided to guess what day the kittens will be born. I did some research, and I think she is at her 6th week of pregnancy, so around what day would the kittens be born? hmm... can't think right now. lol

I've got a couple questions. Can the kittens use clumping cat litter when they start to be litter box trained?? If you read the last thread is it ok for them to eat adult cat food when they get weaned? How do you wean them, do you take them away from the mother, or does the mother just refuse to feed them anymore? sorry for all the questions.

catnapper
12-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Cluimping litter for small kittens is a huge NO! They are very messy --- VERY messy and VERY smelly! anyway, they are messy with food and water, etc all over them. the clumping litter gets in their fur and then they groom themselves and inest it, then it clogs up their insides.

dab_20
12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
ok i will tell my dad. oreo uses clumping litter right now, but we will switch when the kittens come along. we are like making a list of what all to get... can any of you tell me what i need?

catnapper
12-07-2005, 04:21 PM
make sure you have plenty of old blankets and towels. He will be doing lots of laundry every day. Like I said, they are messy.

catmandu
12-07-2005, 04:21 PM
About three weeks which will make them Christmas Kittens!
We are praying that they are all safe!!

dab_20
12-07-2005, 04:24 PM
ooooo excited!! :D my dad has lots of rag towels.

moosmom
12-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Clumping litter for kittens is a big no-no. The best thing to use is either Swheatscoop which is all natural and clumps, or plain clay litter. The reason clumping litter isn't good is because if they ingest it, it will clump in their bellies and cause a major blockage.

Pregnancy in cats is 62-65 days, that's a little over 2 months. Get a box and line it with old towels and blankets. Put Oreo in a spare room with her litterbox and food with the door closed. She needs peace and quiet. When it's time, you'll notice her getting restless, messing up the bed you've made for her. She will also start to pant, and not have much of an appetite. The birth should take no more than 10 hours TOTAL!!

If you have any other questions, there are alot of great people on this site than can give you pointers. Please, try and convince your Dad to spay her once the kittens are weaned (about 8 weeks).

dab_20
12-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Thank you. After this experience, I am sure he will want to get her spayed. He never wanted kittens in the first place, so I really don't understand it. Anyways, thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions would be great.

Should I leave her in the spare room all the time? Or only when my dad is at work... or what? We do have a spare bedroom. And about how much food should I be feeding her at this point?

Jessika
12-07-2005, 06:53 PM
If they are properly weaned and considering the mom does take good care of the kittens, then adult food shouldn't be a problem. BUT just as a precaution you could always just soak the food for five minutes or so in some warm water just to make it easier for them to eat :)

dab_20
12-07-2005, 06:57 PM
should oreo eat with the kittens, or should she have her own bowl? I'm sorry for all the questions i have.

Jessika
12-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Never apologize for asking questions -- its how you learn, and it shows that you care about your animals!! :D

Oreo can eat with her kittens, actually she probably should. The kittens will learn from example, and eating with her kittens is part of the weaning process. :)

moosmom
12-07-2005, 06:59 PM
She'll probably be happy having a room to herself. It'll make her feel secure. If you have a radio, that'll keep her company with classical music. Adult food is fine. When Mattie Grace was at my house (she was a pregnant stray I took in) I fed her dry kitten food and canned kitten food, as she needed all the nutrition she could get. She gave birth to 4 healthy kittens who, along with their mama, all got great homes!!

When your kitty starts giving birth, just observe. Let nature take it's course.