PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a retrieve?

k9krazee
12-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Its funny how the Jack Russell has perfect retrieving skills, yet the Retriever can't??!

I am in the process of teaching Jack to get a kleenex. I sneeze, he runs over to the box, grabs a kleenex and returns it. Last night we worked on the first part, getting the kleenex. He is doing great with that part, I "Achoo" he grabs it now and holds it in his mouth (well, most of the time). The problem I'm having now is how do I get him to bring it to me? Once he makes one step towards me he drops it.

He doesn't like to retrieve toys either, I toss a toy, he bounces over joyfully but never brings it back. I tried a while back putting him on a leash and reeling him in but same thing, he'd drop it as he starts walking.

Any ideas on how to actually get him to hold something and carry it to me?

elizabethann
12-07-2005, 03:41 PM
I have no idea, but that is so cool that he takes the tissue out of the box. Once he masters bringing it to you, I'd love to see a video of it!

Good luck!

Jessika
12-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Anytime he brings you an object tell him "GOOD BRING!!" and get super excited. Once he gets the hang of "hey bringing my toys over to mom makes her happy!" teaching him to bring other objects will become easier!

Pembroke_Corgi
12-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Does he know "take it" and "drop it"? If he knows those, it might make it easier. It is funny that Jack doesn't want to retrieve being a retriever! :) I'm sure he'll get the hang of it. Sounds like a great trick!!

cyber-sibes
12-07-2005, 10:21 PM
in teaching Star to bring things back I started by clapping wildly and praising her when she picks things up, and calling her and claping saying "bring it back". Start only a few steps away so he gets it to you quick, then increase the distance he has to bring it to you. Huskies are not generally known for retrieving, but she really loves it. She's so cool, she'll bring her ball back & drop it right into my hands.

k9krazee
12-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys :)

I have no idea, but that is so cool that he takes the tissue out of the box. Once he masters bringing it to you, I'd love to see a video of it!

I will get a video, I have one right now of him taking the kleenex and holding on to it but its a bit dark :(

Anytime he brings you an object tell him "GOOD BRING!!" and get super excited.
But what if he doesn't bring anything to me in the first place :p

Does he know "take it" and "drop it"? If he knows those, it might make it easier. It is funny that Jack doesn't want to retrieve being a retriever!He knows take it, hold it and drop it. As soon as he takes the kleenex I've been telling him to hold it and then trying to get him to come to me. The only time I've actually seen him retrieve something is if I throw it in the water, lol.

And cyber_sibes, thanks. I will try doing that. And I havn't been telling him to bring it but just saying come, that could make a difference....I just need him to make the first step toward me, lol...we'll keep working on it! :)

Jessika
12-08-2005, 02:44 PM
But what if he doesn't bring anything to me in the first place :p

My point being though is whether you told him to bring it or not, let's say you're just on the computer minding your own business and he trots in with his toy wanting to play. Then you tell him "GOOD BRING!!!" and get super excited. :P