PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area?

pnance
12-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I need some help. :confused: I'll be up in the Bay area next weekend for a job interview. If all goes well I'll probably take some time and look around for housing etc., but I'm not familiar with the area at all, so I was hoping someone might help with some ideas. The job is in an area called San Leandro. Any suggestions on what cities/areas I should check :) or stay away from :eek: would be a great help. I'm willing to go up to about 20-25 miles for a commute if that would help narrow it down.

Allecto
12-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Umm.... yeah.

Well, it's the bay area... that pretty much says it all. Anywhere you are, you'll pretty much be well within 20-25 minutes of a yacht club and a slum ;) .

I'm sure you'll be going just by yourself to the interview, but I'll warn you anyway that there has been fairly recent outbreaks of rabies, and a rash of pet theft (mostly of small 'fashion accessory' dogs). Just FYI.

I might be able to help steer you towards places certain places to visit if you gave me an idea of what you were looking for? And just go in to the housing market expecting prices to be pretty astronomical :eek: . Maybe not as bad as the last few years, but still...

RedHedd
12-07-2005, 02:46 PM
I live in San Francisco, yes, in the City. I'm a native San Franciscan and have lived here all my life. San Leandro is somewhere over there .... the East Bay. Oakland or Berkeley are considered to be in the Bay Area affordable range; heck even San Leandro is considered affordable for the Bay Area. I turn completely blonde when I go across the Bay Bridge and have NO idea where San Leandro even is; all I know is that it's "over there." :rolleyes:

caseysmom
12-07-2005, 02:59 PM
I am about 90 miles from the bay area but the traffic there is horrible, my advice would be to try to get the most safe affordable housing as close to your job as possible.

elizabethann
12-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Umm.... yeah.

Well, it's the bay area... that pretty much says it all. Anywhere you are, you'll pretty much be well within 20-25 minutes of a yacht club and a slum ;) .

I never realized San Francisco had slums. How can they afford to live there since it's a pretty expensive part of the country? Just curious.

pnance, good luck in your interview.

Samantha Puppy
12-07-2005, 03:30 PM
I never realized San Francisco had slums. How can they afford to live there since it's a pretty expensive part of the country? Just curious.They can't! That's why they live in slums!! :D

pnance
12-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Umm.... yeah.

I'm sure you'll be going just by yourself to the interview, but I'll warn you anyway that there has been fairly recent outbreaks of rabies, and a rash of pet theft (mostly of small 'fashion accessory' dogs). Just FYI.

I might be able to help steer you towards places certain places to visit if you gave me an idea of what you were looking for? And just go in to the housing market expecting prices to be pretty astronomical :eek: . Maybe not as bad as the last few years, but still...

Can't be any more expensive than San Diego.....I hope. :eek: I'm mainly looking for something to rent initially, maybe a small house, condo or townhouse while things settle down. The catch is I need a pet friendly place that accepts cats and large dogs.

I am about 90 miles from the bay area but the traffic there is horrible, my advice would be to try to get the most safe affordable housing as close to your job as possible.... I used to live in LA I can't imagine anything worse, you wouldn't move at all. :eek:

Oakland or Berkeley are considered to be in the Bay Area affordable range.... I always thought Berkeley was much farther south, is it near that area?

I never realized San Francisco had slums. How can they afford to live there since it's a pretty expensive part of the country? Just curious.....
Unfortunately that almost makes it worse. Because people can't afford it hear there are a lot of homeless. In addition we put so much money into purchasing a house we have very little left over for anything else. ....Thanks, I'm really hoping it works out even though it will be a nightmare to move.

caseysmom
12-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Well the bay area is pretty pet friendly so that is a plus. We even had a pet talk gathering in Berkely. I believe Berkely is north of San Leandro.