PDA

View Full Version : flakey pads

charlidawg
12-07-2005, 06:35 AM
:confused:
Hi everyone! I have had cats my whole life, and I have never had one whos pads crack and peel. My cat Tony loves to get his back paws sratched, and thats when I noticed that they are peeling. His paws are rough and flakey. Is this normal? Its been going on for a while. Does he need lotion of some kind? :eek:

catnapper
12-07-2005, 06:45 AM
I actually have heard of that, but never experienced it. I do know you can put somethign oon it, but I don't know what.... and he'll most likely lick it off (since thats what cats do best! :p )

catmandu
12-07-2005, 09:46 AM
I have never haerd of that unless the Cats an indoor/outdoor where his paws are exposed to rough terrain.
We hope that its nothing serious.

Felix
12-07-2005, 07:57 PM
My sister-in-law just found out that her dog has the same problem.She took the dog to get her nails cut and they spotted the problem.The pads on on her paws are rough and cracked.They told her to keep putting cream on them to lubricate the pads.Make sure its non perfume.If it dont clear up I would suggest bringing the little one to the vet,for this can turn into a serious problem.Since cats lick themselves more often I suggest you bandage them overnight to ensure your kitty is getting some treatment.Hope this is a bit of help to you.

Felix.

kimlovescats
12-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Usually kitties that are inside all the time don't have that problem. Does he go outside? If so, they are probably just rough from that.

krazyaboutkatz
12-07-2005, 11:35 PM
All of my furkids are indoor only and I've also noticed that Storm's paw pads look dry and cracked. He also has dry flaky skin but it's gotten better since I've been giving him wet food 2 times a day.

charlidawg
12-08-2005, 06:46 AM
Tony is indoor only. I will try and find something to put on his paws. Thanks for the suggestions.