PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Email Question

RobiLee
12-06-2005, 06:14 PM
I use Microsoft Outlook and can anyone tell me if there is anyway to delete all the messages in my inbox all at once instead of one by one. I know its probably a stupid question but I'm not too bright at computer stuff :rolleyes:. I need to clean up my email. Help!

Jessika
12-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Of course! You should be able to select all messages by hitting CTRL+A and then clicking delete! Let me know if that helps!

RobiLee
12-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Fantastic!! Thank you! How do you know all that stuff...lol. The sad part is that I'll never be able to remember it..lol.

Thanks! :)

Jessika
12-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Let's just say I spend too much time on computers for my own good. :D

That and I've learned not to trust any computer technician so I learned a lot on my own :D

slick
12-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Ha! This is the type of question I get at work all the time. Welcome to my world Jessika. :D

caseysmom
12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
You can click on the top message and hit shift and the down key to select a block of them, then hit delete.

Laura's Babies
12-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Don't forget to delete your sent mail too.. Don't feel silly, we ALL were where you are at one time.

TIP... Keep a tablet by your computer to write these tips in for the next time, that is what I do.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Also, if you want to delete some mail but not necessarily all of it, you can highlight individual mails then hit delete and all the highlighted ones will disappear. To do this, if the messages are one right after the other - consecutive - highlight the first one then hold the shift key down and highlight the last one you want to delete and click. This will highlight the first one, the last one and all in between. If the emails on not right after each other - not consecutive - click to highlight one, then hold the ALT key in and click on the next one you want to delete and it will be highlighted, then go on to the next one you want to delete, keep holding the ALT key and click and that one will be highlighted. You can do this as many times as you want, then when all the emails you want to delete are highlighted, hit the delete key.

Like Laura said, don't forget your sent mail, but don't forget that you also have to delete your deleted items. Just right click on the deleted items file, then click on Empty Deleted Items Folder. It's important to remember to delete your deleted items. Terry has the hardest time doing that and sometimes he ends up with 8,000-9,000 messages in his deleted items file! :eek:

Barbara
12-07-2005, 10:05 AM
CTRL+A and Delete is something you better remember! Filou hit these keys once when my husband had no idea what they do and so everything he had written just disappeared. And he had no idea there is an UNDO-button ;) :rolleyes:

Jessika
12-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Like Laura said, don't forget your sent mail, but don't forget that you also have to delete your deleted items. Just right click on the deleted items file, then click on Empty Deleted Items Folder. It's important to remember to delete your deleted items. Terry has the hardest time doing that and sometimes he ends up with 8,000-9,000 messages in his deleted items file! :eek:

With Outlook though can't you have it set so that messages in the trash are emptied every time you close the program??

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-07-2005, 01:42 PM
With Outlook though can't you have it set so that messages in the trash are emptied every time you close the program??

Yes. "Tools" then "Maintenance" then check the box that says to empty upon closing the program.

Jessika
12-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Yes. "Tools" then "Maintenance" then check the box that says to empty upon closing the program.
Ah yes that's what I thought. I haven't used outlook in over a year though since I use Mozilla Thunderbird instead so I didn't know if it was Outlook I was thinking of, or Thunderbird ♥