PDA

View Full Version : Spaying day for the neighbours cat....

carole
12-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Finally the day has come, most of you will know the continuing saga of my horrible neighbour who lets her cats breed and never does a thing about it, I got her to agree for me to get them spayed, and thanks to Lisa Kuhio98 donation it has all been made possible.

Victoria was booked in for today, but a problem arose last night, her mother has just had her kittens and hidden them somewhere ( i will have her spayed when the kitties are around five weeks, and they will go to the shelter providing mama brings them out for us) Victoria decided one was to be hers and she and the other kitty I have named Zara were both sleeping in a box with a flannette sheet i had in our open shed around the back,but guess who else was in there a tiny less than week old ginger and white little boy, which is really Victoria's brother, my problem was what to do with bubs while mama was away being spayed,however as luck would have it Zara is also feeding it, and took over, she had disappeared for a while and i was panicking, but returned and was last seen feeding bubs, he is sure getting the best of two mamas that fat lil boy, We took Zara's only kitten left to the shelter only last week.

Victoria posed a problem for me also that I was not sure how i could get her, but i had built up her trust enough to pat her last night, she is what i class as semi-feral, but tamer than I first thought, I tempted her with some food and grabbed her by the scruff and plonked her in the cage, pronto, poor wee thing was pretty scared and not happy, still she will no longer beable to breed and it will be a better life for her all around, I am getting her de-flead and wormed as well, I saw her owner and told her she was in my shed with the kitten and what to do with her when she comes back, she thought it best i keep her, as she won't be there tonight, geez and she knew she was being done today, so I am thinking i will put her in the room adjacent to my daughter for the night, if she becomes too stressed i will put her back in the shed, but personally i feel she should be inside at least one night after her op, i know ferals are released outside straight away, but it is hard for me to do that, will just wait and see how it all goes, as long as Zara keeps feeding bubs it will be ok, I am making sure Zara and Victoria are getting at least three meals a day now so they have plenty milk for bubs.

I have no idea where the other cat Duchess is hiding her babies, they were in my neighbours shed, but drat it all she moved them.

One down two more to go, Zara will be my biggest challenge as she really is feral, worried about that one, but fingers crossed we can nab her and soon.

Corinna
12-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Don't for get the Bubs should be don't also. easier to find homes for and less fighting and looking for girls.

carole
12-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Don't worry bubs and the other kittens when i find them are all destined for the no kill cat shelter, where they will all be de-sexed and tamed and new homes sought, their outcome is very good, they would have been either destined to an early death, as most of the kittens we rescued had terrible eye infections which can ulcerate and lead to blindness so i believe and, or of course becoming feral and not de-sexed, that is why i am doing this to prevent this and thousands of feral cats in my neighbourhood, which are always hungry, fighting and sick, something I cannot bear to see., so res-assured i have it under control so far. :)

lizbud
12-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Your good deed for these kitties will last for years. :) Congrats and
good luck for the ones yet to be helped.

carole
12-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Yes well I have only done so much, there has been so many wonderful other people involved, my own Melissa for sneaking the babies, but most of the credit goes to Norma at the cat shelter, just heard the original five are now in a foster home, so there is another wonderful person to thank, our own wonderful PT member Lisa kuhio98 who without her donation none of this would have been possible, and even my girlfriend who has been the transport for me today (i donot drive) my hubby's support, and my nice kitty neighbour who is donated food and is donating me more today, gee this sounds like i am on stage getting an oscar and thanking everyone he he. (i really deserve one for my great acting job with the owner, i am so nice to her, but underneath my blood is boiling and i would love to tell her what i really think of her, but that won't get me anywhere will it), but truthfully it has been a combination of caring kind folks who made it all possible.

I could have just been like every one else who turned a blind eye to it , even though it was right under their noses, but i just could not do that, one I am doing this for the cats and kittens, two for the neighbourhood and three for my own cats safety as well, heaps of feral kitties are not a good thing.

The reward is knowing these babies now have a chance in life, pity so many have not had until now. I hope to post pics soon of Victoria, so Lisa can see her NZ kitty she helped and get some of the others when i can.

moosmom
12-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Great job, Carole!! You've definitely earned your wings, and then some!! ;)

rg_girlca
12-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Carole, I'm sorry I haven't posted until now, but I have been following your dilemma in regards to your neighbours cats. I will withhold my comments in regards to her ( :mad: ) as I really love being on PT.

I want to thank you and all the others that have had a hand in helping you to help these precious babies and their mamas. Just think what a better world this would be if there were more people like you and a lot less people like your neighbour.

Bless you for caring. :)

kuhio98
12-07-2005, 02:10 PM
carole ~ I'm late checking in. I hope everything went well with the babies. Bless you guys for taking this on. I'm so glad your neighbor has agreed to cooperate a little. You are making a huge difference in their lives. Keep up the good work!

carole
12-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Just thought i would give you all an update on Victoria's spaying, all went well, she does have a rather raspy cough though after the tube put down her throat, can be quite normal I am told, but i am a little concerned, hope there is some improvement by tomorrow, otherwise an infection in her chest may have started, hope not, she is a darling, not semi-feral at all as I first suspected, she trusts Melissa and I competely and is so sweet, she loves to snuggle and smooch, she is a very sweet girl, and if you have not already guessed it I have fallen in love with her, which of course breaks my heart to know I have to return her to that woman, I bawled my eyes out last night just thinking about it, and there is a knot in my throat as i write this, she does deserve so much better, I only wish I were in the position to offer it, mind you that woman probably would not give her up anyhow.

She is home and has not even come over to see how she is doing, i have kept her inside all night and today, but it is getting too hot in there for her and I cannot open the window, as it is along way down, and she can hear her kitten and might do anything silly to get to it, Zara the other mama kitten who i suspect is Victoria's daughter is taking wonderful care of Master Hissy spitter, the cute lil orange and white kitten, his belly is nice and rotund and his eyes are open now, he looks fine, I am giving them all good nutrition so he should thrive.

I will endeavour to post pics soon, just have to wait until Melissa puts them on here for me, have not worked that one out yet, so try to be patient , but i know that is a hard thing to ask lol. :)

PS Victoria is so paper thin, i know having babies has taken a lot out of her, but it is obvious she never gets enough to eat, she has bones sticking out, it is disgusting to me to see her like that, sure my two might be a bit on the roly poly side, but this is extreme to me to see a kitty so thin, that is owned, at least now she is spayed she might have a better chance of putting on some weight, and no more worms for three months or fleas for one, still if i can catch her now, i might beable to put a stop to that misery for her, but this woman is talking about leaving in the new year, and that poor girl and the others are destined to be with her, It truely breaks my heart now that i know and love this wee girl.

carole
12-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Well since i posted that one something happened inbetween, my ex neighbour and now a lady i consider a friend, Louise, she is the lady who has been giving me cat food and milk for the kitties on a regular basis to help out, keeps visiting seeing bubs and today she wanted to check on Victoria.

She is also the lady who when she shifted her darling orangey boy George disappeared, still no sight of him, which is very sad, as he was the most lovable boy ever and we are still hoping for a miracle there.

She has three cats left now, Oliver, Ben and Talluah, Ben is either Victoria's son or brother, she agrees with me that woman does not care about the kitty and does not deserve her back, she thinks also that Victoria is a sweetie pie, and she is considering WAIT FOR IT, taking her and the kitten, which is also her brother, it does depend on her partner though , so it is not definite, i know we would be in actual fact stealing Victoria, and I do feel bad about that, but I DONOT feel bad either because i know she deserves so much better and Louise can give her everything, she will have plenty nice good food, LOVE which she just adores, vaccinations, worming, de-fleaing on a regular basis, I cannot or will not let that baby go back to that woman, even if it means I have to be dis-honest and lie which believe me is very hard for me to do, I think if it all happens and it is only a might at the moment, she will just disappear suddenly as kitties do from time to time, Louise lives far enough away so Victoria won't be spotted.

Keep all fingers and paws crossed for this to happen, it is the best i could ever dream of, i am sad though that Duchess her mother will still be with that woman and Zara her daughter will be left behind all alone, but don't worry she will become my little feral adoptee., and i will do the best i can for her.

G535
12-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I would consider it life saving, definitely not stealing. Fingers and claws crossed here that she takes them with her and also that George soon finds his way back. :)

mruffruff
12-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Carole, I have to commend you and Melissa on everything you're doing. I too would consider the new plan a life-saver, not stealing. The "owner" may be relieved not to have to take Victoria when she moves. Some people just want to be able to say "I Have......" but really don't want the responsibility that goes with it.

I know how hard it is to let go. It's easier when you know they are destined for a better life.

Welcome to Rescuing!

catnapper
12-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Just checking in to see how everthing is going.... I do hope the sweet cat can find a new home! Like the others said, thats a life saving plan. You TRIED the other avenues, and the woman claimed to not own them when the animal people came around. She herself said the cat isn't hers. So how can you "steal" something that she admits isn't hers? Good luck! Please keep us updated.