PDA

View Full Version : Temporary dog rescue tonight

K9karen
12-06-2005, 01:52 AM
I had Logan outside tonight when I saw her bark and run along the side fence. I saw a quick flash of black running back and forth on the other side of the fence running along side her. I went down and saw a young, playful black lab! I heard his tag jingle but didn't see anybody or hear anyone calling.

I ran in the house and recruited John to get a flashlight and another leash while I grabbed a handful of treats. i called to the dog who came running and jumping all over me. I grabbed his collar ehile he devoured about 5 cookies. We took him to the porch and while he sat on command, I tried to read his collar while he squirmed. John called the number and I spoke to the owner. The pup's name was Coal (neat) and had been missing for hours. We gave the guy directions to our house and then took Coal inside to meet with Logan. At first she wasn't too happy, but after we put them both on the porch, they wanted to play. (good girl, Logan).
I noticed Coal was very skinny and in desperate need of a good bath (PU) The owner showed up and apparently, Coal is a great escape artist and coming to my neighborhood was the farthest he's ever gone. The owner said something (mumbled) about the battery being out on his electric something or other-I'm assumming he meant electric fence.
Now John, who is very good natured, didn't like the guy's actions at all. He has a feeling that this guy was not a good dog owner and said that Coal was lucky he came to our place. He was sweet and friendly but I too had a funny feeling. John also said I probably shouldn't mention this on PT cause people would be upset, but I decided to thread it, since I was happy that I was able to help him in some way.

K9soul
12-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Well in that situation, with the owner at your door, I don't see what else you could have done. And you did a wonderful thing by getting him off the streets and somewhere where he could be given food and water. If you turned him over to a shelter I'm guessing they would have just called the owner too, although he might have had to pay a fee then? I'm not sure, I guess it depends on the shelter.

Either way you did what you could and hopefully this owner will buckle down and care better for him or find him a new home who can. Best of luck sweet Coal.

Daisy and Delilah
12-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Great job rescuing this cute guy. I just pray that this dog owner is not mistreating Coal. I'll add Coal to my thoughts and prayers. I have a feeling that it won't be the last time you see Coal.

elizabethann
12-06-2005, 08:51 AM
It was nice of you to rescue him.
:)

lv4dogs
12-06-2005, 08:56 AM
That is awesome that you re-united the dog with his owner.
I hope Coal really does have a nice home. Prayers are being sent his way.

Ginger's Mom
12-06-2005, 09:27 AM
You did the best you could do. You kept him safe from roaming the streets you gave him some food and water, and you called his owner (whom you didn't know at all). Good for you, for caring enough about Coal to do all of those things. :) Prayers going out for sweet Coal.

petslover
12-06-2005, 09:35 AM
I am glad you were there for the pup. He is very lucky that he found you. Way to go on helping out a animal in need.

Corinna
12-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Maybe you could have "play dates" with Coal and Logan and keep an eye on the little guy. Could also help with the excapes may be the pup is lonesome.

pitc9
12-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Congrats on the rescue!
You did the right thing!

lizbud
12-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Great job rescuing this cute guy. I just pray that this dog owner is not mistreating Coal. I'll add Coal to my thoughts and prayers. I have a feeling that it won't be the last time you see Coal.

I agree. :) Congratulations to both of you. Good job by you, your BF & Klo. :D

lute
12-06-2005, 07:46 PM
YAY for you! good thing you found Coal. he could have gotten hit by a car. i hope his owner really is a good owner.

dukedogsmom
12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Poor dog. I understand your situation. There wasn't much you could do once he got there. Did you keep the info on him? Maybe someone could go check on him to make sure his living conditions are good? Too bad we can't help you make Coal go "poof" and get him to a good home. You did what you could, though. It would have been an awkward situation.

poofy
12-06-2005, 09:08 PM
I wish the poor thing good luck in his life...

K9karen
12-06-2005, 10:52 PM
What made John wary was that the guy refused to give us his name or address and I never wrote down his number from the tag. John thought a play date would be great. But I'll tell you one thing we spoke about today, if Coal comes back, I will not call the owner. My neighbor, whose Pit passed last year (Loco, the one I mentioned before) has been considering another dog. When we told her about Coal being so friendly and sweet and playful, skinny and smelly, she said she would seriously, despite her husband's "no more dogs" edict, would take him. She misses having company and is lonely without her Loco.
I'd hate to be a dog robber, but if Coal has gotten away 5 times or more already, how serious are you about watching your dog? If Logan got away, I'd be around the world looking, calling the SPCA, the police, every vet in the area. This guy gave up and was at home. In my heart of hearts, I hope Coal makes his way back here.

Corinna
12-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Way to go . You have a great neighbor.

Karen
12-06-2005, 11:39 PM
You did the right thing, all around. And now Coal knows where he can get treats so maybe he'll head your way again, if he is an escape artist. If he's still a Lab, he may be skinny just because of that, and he certainly has that Lab energy! I hope he does have a good home - at least he had a tag with contact info on it, and an owner who cared to come get him.

And Good Girl, Logan for being nice to the visiting young'un!