PDA

View Full Version : Cat license?

PostGhosty
04-02-2002, 07:38 AM
I was just wondering, how many of you are in citys/villages that require you to pay for a cat license, how much they are and how many kittys you are limited too?

Our city just adopted a licensing program and I was wondering how it compared to other places...

Thanks ;)

tuxluvr
04-02-2002, 08:15 AM
Dogs need licenses in my state, but not cats - it isn't "mandatory" to have cats vaccinated here either, but when you do, you get a tag with the details.

purrley
04-02-2002, 10:41 AM
Normally I'd pay $5 per cat, but since someone sent Animal Services to my house because I have too many cats, they penalized me 25.00 per cat. They made me license 2 of them at $30.00 per cat:( :(

PostGhosty
04-02-2002, 10:52 AM
It's just that I saw an article in our paper, about a lady that rescues cats and they are making her get rid of all but 4 by a certain date or they are going to destroy them. If they are all spayed or neutured, and she is financially able to care for them and isn't creating a nuiscence...I don't understand what the problem is.

My kitty wears a collar with a tag that has our name and number to contact us in case she runs away. I have no problem getting a license for my cat but I think that their limitations, and things they included in this ordinence is unfair.

Like, its illegal to feed a stray.

Something else I don't understand, is the astronomical charges for adopting a homeless kitty. Close to $200. I was always supportive of the local humane society and when we were looking to get a new pet that is always where we would go first. But that is just plain terrible. No wonder no one is adopting from there.

It just seems like such a shame to deny them a good home because of these fee's. I take care of my kitty, make sure she has good vet care, a good diet but it breaks my heart to see them denying these animals the possibility of a good home by charging these costs. There used to be a time when all you need do was sign a statement that you would seek vetrenary care for the animal and make a donation of food or a small amount of money to the shelter.

I'm sorry to go on like this but the article really upset me.

Heather Wallace
04-02-2002, 11:23 AM
In the UK you don't need a license at all. Maybe the US has more strays etc, maybe someone can answer that one.

LoudLou
04-02-2002, 12:18 PM
We live in a rural town and it is opitonal to liscense your cat. Here it cost $16 for 2yrs. if they are fertile and $6 if they are altered.... at least in 2000 that's what it cost. As to how many cats I haven't seen any law or anything...

Adoption fees here are about $60 and include shot/spay/neuter.