PDA

View Full Version : Possible new puppy...

Allecto
12-05-2005, 04:00 PM
I am going in about three hours to look at a litter of puppies I saw advertised in the newspaper. Over the past eight months or so, I have responded to at least 20 ads and visited some nearby shelters, but haven't found one that has 'clicked' yet. Wish me luck.

BC_MoM
12-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Good luck! What breed? :)

Allecto
12-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Beagle.

lute
12-05-2005, 05:19 PM
normally looking in the newspaper for a dog isn't a good idea. chances are they aren't responsible breeders. the breeders i got my dogs from wouldn't EVER put their puppies in a newspaper. they tend to attract unwanted people.not saying that's you, of course.

if you don't care to get a mixed breed i would definatly keep checking out your humane society. the perfect one will definatly turn up sooner or later.

if you must have a purebred, i would check out the breed's american kennel club. most of those websites show some great breeders. breeders sometimes have HEALTHY pet quality pups. you may have to pay more them you would if you found a pup in the newspaper, but the dog will be healthier, and well worth it.

Allecto
12-05-2005, 06:05 PM
normally looking in the newspaper for a dog isn't a good idea. chances are they aren't responsible breeders. the breeders i got my dogs from wouldn't EVER put their puppies in a newspaper. they tend to attract unwanted people.not saying that's you, of course.

if you don't care to get a mixed breed i would definatly keep checking out your humane society. the perfect one will definatly turn up sooner or later.

if you must have a purebred, i would check out the breed's american kennel club. most of those websites show some great breeders. breeders sometimes have HEALTHY pet quality pups. you may have to pay more them you would if you found a pup in the newspaper, but the dog will be healthier, and well worth it.

Thanks, but I am not a total dunce. I was able to locate both parents of the puppies I am going to see on the AKC web site. I look both online, in magazines, and in newspapers for purebreeds when I want one. With newspapers, you have a better chance of the puppy being close enough to go and view the facilities yourself. The AKC is a great organization, but there are still a fair number of puppy mills that haven't been caught that are registered and advertise through them, which they are pretty honest about. Buying puppies online is a big hotbed for scam activity as well. All three methods have lots of drawbacks, but not everyone who uses newspaper ads is some low-quality, disease-spreading 'byb' people like to turn their noses up at.

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Good luck, I hope you find your soul dog soon! :) I knew it when I met Finn, that he was my dog. :) And, you're right...not every single newspaper ad is posted by scum sucking breeders. And, not every breeder who doesn't post ads in newspapers is a responsible breeder, either. I can't wait to hear how meeting the puppies went...

Allecto
12-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks!

sammy101
12-05-2005, 06:19 PM
And, you're right...not every single newspaper ad is posted by scum sucking breeders. And, not every breeder who doesn't post ads in newspapers is a responsible breeder, either. I can't wait to hear how meeting the puppies went...
i agree!

good luck!I LOVE Beagles.We used to have a female beagle,a 15 inch one,she was a wonderful dog :)

Allecto
12-05-2005, 06:26 PM
I grew up with beagles. I lost my last one in July of 2004. He'd been with me for 19 years. I couldn't remember ever NOT having him :( . Can't wait to get back in to the Beagle world, so hopefully my puppy will be there. Just waiting for my puppy-shopping buddy to show up, and then we'll be off.

Allecto
12-05-2005, 06:34 PM

If it makes you feel any better, on my visits to shelters I did help my sister find a furry soul mate(a husky mix), my nieces find a furry soul mate (a heinz 57 that probably has some heeler in him), and my mom find her furry soul mate (a poor little kitty who's long-ish fur was nothing but dreds when we met her). But so far, the dog for me hasn't been there.

lute
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
i didn't say you were a dunce. i also, didn't say that ALL the pups in the newspaper were terrible. from what i've seen MOST of them are. i wasn't being foul at all.

Allecto
12-05-2005, 06:46 PM
i didn't say you were a dunce. i also, didn't say that ALL the pups in the newspaper were terrible. from what i've seen MOST of them are. i wasn't being foul at all.
I just felt you came off as pretty condescending, which is upsetting to me considering how careful I always am about choosing pets. Things like capitalizing that your breeders would NEVER advertise that way, and if I paid more I could get a HEALTHY puppy, if I 'must' have a purebred... it made me quite defensive. If I read too much in to it, I'm sorry.

Wish my puppy-shopping partner would get here already! Grrrr! :mad:

Allecto
12-05-2005, 06:51 PM
:D He's here! Calling for directions to the puppy house...

poofy
12-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Good luck , I got my YOllie from the ads and met the parents, and she is such a doll..I just love her..the vet says shes in perfect health and is really a fire ball around the house..lol.. :)

Allecto
12-05-2005, 06:59 PM
They are about ten minutes away and want us there in 30-45 minutes (someone is there now, looking). Aaahhh... I just LOOOVE waiting :rolleyes: .

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Let us know how the puppy visiting went!

Allecto
12-06-2005, 12:54 AM
It went pretty well. Mom was very healthy, pups were a beautiful lot. There was one little female there who I kept gravitating towards, but I didn't bring her home tonight. The father had cut his paw pretty badly and had been taken to the vet, so I set up to come back when both parents would be there and after I had time to think over the little girl I liked. I saw a full sibling to these pups that they'd held back from last year. High-quality dogs, but I am just not sure... :(

*sigh* It has been about a year and a half since I lost my Beagle. I'd never not had at least one in my life, and now it is starting to feel like I'll never find the right one again (sighs). Oh, well... I still have one great dog to spoil for now.

finn's mom
12-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Well, keep looking. Even if you don't find the beagle that you want, you never know what other dog might be out there that's just right for you. Just keep searching, you'll find the dog for you. :)

Allecto
12-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Thanks. There are plenty of other breeds I am in love with, but this is the longest I've ever been without having a Beagle in my life :eek: .

lv4dogs
12-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Did you ask the breeder if the parents were tested & x-rayed for health defects, genetic diseases and the such? Do they offer at least a 2 year genetic health garantee on their dogs? Do you have to sign a contract? Will she take the dog back IF for any reason you can't keep him/her? A reputable breeder will do/offer all of the above.

Good luck!

JenBKR
12-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Good luck finding the right puppy! Keep us updated! :)

Allecto
12-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Did you ask the breeder if the parents were tested & x-rayed for health defects, genetic diseases and the such? Do they offer at least a 2 year genetic health garantee on their dogs? Do you have to sign a contract? Will she take the dog back IF for any reason you can't keep him/her? A reputable breeder will do/offer all of the above.

Good luck!

1)Yes, and we use the same vet, who she has given permission to fully disuss her dogs' medical records with prospective buyers.
2) Yes, in writing, and had health certificates on each pup from the vet.
3) Yes, but I didn't really look over it yet since I knew I wouldn't be buying without seeing the father first.
4) Yes, and she was extremely concerned about where the pups were going. I told her she could come and check out my set-up before I brought the puppy home, if we made a deal.

lv4dogs
12-06-2005, 12:21 PM
1)Yes, and we use the same vet, who she has given permission to fully disuss her dogs' medical records with prospective buyers.
2) Yes, in writing, and had health certificates on each pup from the vet.
3) Yes, but I didn't really look over it yet since I knew I wouldn't be buying without seeing the father first.
4) Yes, and she was extremely concerned about where the pups were going. I told her she could come and check out my set-up before I brought the puppy home, if we made a deal.

Wow thats great. Sounds like a great breeder.
It can't hurt to look over the contract before looking at the father. There might be something in the contract that you don't agree with & therefore may not even need to go back to look at the father. I look at the contracts before I even look at the dogs. I wish you the best of luck!