PDA

View Full Version : Desktops pics

lv4dogs
12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I had a computer repair man tell me that you shouldn't use any pics for your wallpaper unless they came with your computer. He says they can mess up your computer & take up a lot of space. Is he correct?

Jessika
12-05-2005, 04:57 PM
LOL this is entirely false. The images that come with yoru computer are either BMP or JPG. Just because the images may be different, the file formats are still the same!! You can use anything, nothing bad will happen. :rolleyes: Computer technicians sure need to learn a thing or two about computers.

lv4dogs
12-06-2005, 04:02 PM
LOL this is entirely false. The images that come with yoru computer are either BMP or JPG. Just because the images may be different, the file formats are still the same!! You can use anything, nothing bad will happen. :rolleyes: Computer technicians sure need to learn a thing or two about computers.

Yeah now I can use my pics & yell at my boss (my brother & dad) for yelling at me for using them before. lol

Yes some comp. tech. are idiots. :D

Jessika
12-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Well think about it this way. If using different wallpapers for your desktop was detrimental to your monitor or computer in any way, shape, or form -- the option to do so wouldn't be there! :D

lv4dogs
12-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Well think about it this way. If using different wallpapers for your desktop was detrimental to your monitor or computer in any way, shape, or form -- the option to do so wouldn't be there! :D

Thats what "I" thought but the computer tech. said different & my bosses agreed with him.

Husky_mom
12-06-2005, 04:14 PM
i HATE with capital H A T E our former comp tech, he, not once but two times, :mad: ERASED ALL of my photos, works, proyects i had in my comp (well my family comp) the first time he said it was a virus and he had to format it so everything was lost, i was mad but what could i do, he was the tech!!!, anyway the second i had all my kid baby pics in it and it happened the same!!! this time i´m sure he got scared because he never even called back.

(just to make a story short ever since he starded giving maintenance to the comp, it crashed, had viruses, burned the monitor and motherboard, and everything you can think of, and before that nothing ever happened) :mad:

Jessika
12-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Ah husky_mom cmop techs like that p*ss me off THE MOST! People who think that the ONLY answer to computer problems is to format the hard drive :rolleyes: Gah I'm SO GLAD I have educated myself enough to know how to fix my own problems instead of taking it to someone who THINKS they know what they're doing.

Vette
12-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Its true to an extent.

if you download a town of wallpaper,, and keep them all in a folder somewhere on your computer. with out staving them to floppy disk or burn them to a CD.. then yes it can suck up a lot of your computer memory. espically the .bmp files. those things are a HUGE file format.

but if you keep track of the stuff and delete old wallpaper off(or save them to something and then delete them of) then your computer memory wont be used up by a bunch of pictures.

that goes for EVERYTHING on your computer.
even .gif tiny image format can suck up a lot of you have a ton of stuff.
but it would take LOT of pictures and stuff to really make a dent in your computer memory

Jessika
12-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Its true to an extent.

if you download a town of wallpaper,, and keep them all in a folder somewhere on your computer. with out staving them to floppy disk or burn them to a CD.. then yes it can suck up a lot of your computer memory. espically the .bmp files. those things are a HUGE file format.

but if you keep track of the stuff and delete old wallpaper off(or save them to something and then delete them of) then your computer memory wont be used up by a bunch of pictures.

that goes for EVERYTHING on your computer.
even .gif tiny image format can suck up a lot of you have a ton of stuff.
but it would take LOT of pictures and stuff to really make a dent in your computer memory

Hmm you're right, but you would have to have thousands, if not millions, of very high-quality high-resolution images before they would start to pose a problem hehe. And anymore 80GB hard drives are standard and it would take A LONG TIME to fill that up completely on images alone. Oh yes and a sidenote (probably unrelated but I wanted to throw it out there just the same) your hard drive space/capacity DOES NOT make your computer run slower or faster. Some people seem to think that if they have a lot of MP3s or images on their computer that it will make it run slower. Not true! Your computer's speed is solely affected by the amount of RAM you have and your processor speed. And another related issue, reformating your hard drive thinking it will make your computer run faster won't do a thing because of what I said above LOL

Sorry but computer technicians tick me off :(

Vette
12-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Ture :D

but those wallpapers at the size 1024x768(what i have my resulition set to) can take up your computer memory then what you think. and i dont have those high quailty ones either.. i resized these ones myself...

i have maybe about 100 wallpapers on my hard-drive right now.. and those suckers all by themselves takes up 2MB :eek:

but since i got a big butted hard-drive.. i dont care.
but someone with a smaller hard drive might..

when i was stuck with using my old computer..it was rather annoying to see that error screen ""You do not have a sufficient amount of memory" everytime i wanted to download something... and got a lot of blue screens of death too

when your down that low on MB.. weird crap happens.
but its not wallpapr alone that causes it.. its everything you download or downloaded.

just remeber to save stuff you want to floppy disks or CDs and delete stuff off that you dont want or use anymore to keep your computer memory freed up for you do want. and free of that ""You do not have a sufficient amount of memory" message...