PDA

View Full Version : Bloat?

ComedyDevil
12-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey guys,

As some of you might know, I might be adopting a GSD (see thread HERE (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=94312) )

The only thing that worries me slightly is that I've heard GSD's are prone to bloat. I've done a Google search but not finding much helpful information. Can anyone tell me a bit more about it, what causes it, treatment, prevention ... is it something I'm really going to have to watch for with a GSD?

Also, are there any other health/behaviour problems I need to watch for with GSD's (apart from hip dysplasia)?

Thanks!

Amy

wolflady
12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I included a section about bloat in the website I created for my hospital. It has a list of things to look for and what to do/not do in case of bloat emergency. You can read about it here: http://www.gilroyvet.com/305366.html

I hope this helps! :)

**hugs**

areias
12-05-2005, 04:26 PM
That webpage is pretty good. Bloat is usually caused by dogs that gulp their food...basically eating it really fast, and they inhale a lot of air while doing this. You can wet the food down, which expands it and slows them down, or you can put a big rock in the middle of their food bowl, also slowing them down by having to eat around the rock.

GSDs...hmm.. Hip Dysplasia, Elbow Displasia, vWD, BLoat, Cataracts, Pancreatic Enzyme Deficiency, allergies, heart problems...you name it, they can get it. A trip to the vet would do you good, and make sure you're watching the eating/drinking habits, as well as urination/bowel movements, as any owner should. I've known a lot of GSDs that get bladder infections/UTIs.

I know you asked for temperment issues in another post, as well. They are usually extreme one person/family dogs, and very protective. A lot are dog aggressive, as well as people aggressive. They can either be really dominant, or incredibly shy, resulting in fear biting issues. Working in a kennel, a lot of them are cage aggressive/fence aggressive. This dosen't mean, though, that they can't be around strangers, it just takes socialization. They are extremely intelligent and high drive, they love to be out and about. You might want to make sure he is temperment tested. I do like the breed a lot, but its not for everyone. I have one now, yes, but I'm not sure if I would have another. I don't think I would get one from a breeder, I rescued mine. She's one of my best dogs though.

K9karen
12-06-2005, 01:30 AM
My Logan is a GSD mix so I'm praying that she'll be free of all the problems they can encounter. After reading horror stories about bloat, I watch her like a hawk after she eats and I'm so paranoid, I watch for symptoms all the time. She's a slow eater, thankfully. So far, in 2 years, no vet visits except for nail cuts and she's in tip top shape, no hip dysplasia or other problems. I thank God every day. My lab/retreiver Cody had terribly hip dysplasia at an early age, gulped his food, had 2 ACL surgeries. Every dog is different. Logan exhibits a lot of GSD traits though, the major one being as smart as a whip, easy to train, very loyal. I think any dog can have personality problems. I learned my lesson by socializing Logan quickly, as I wasn't sure of her past experiences. She's become friendlier and less nervous in strange situations. It's a daily thing but worth it. Good luck. The main thing is that I'm definitely the boss.

ontariogreys
12-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Greyhounds are also proned to bloat, things you can do to help to prevent it from happening

Kibble swells once it gets in the stomach which can add the weight which could possibly cause the torsion so
Feed 2 meals a day instead of one, and wet the kibble prior to feeding(dry kibble has really no benefit to teeth, most just swallow the kibble whole anyway) this will cause it to swell prior to digesting and they will feel full sooner

Bouncing and running around after eating can cause stomach to bounce and turn and the weight of the food in the tummy can can it to stay in that position, so restrict activity to no more than a leash walk for 2 hours after eating.

There probably is not a single breed out there that is not predisposed to some thing or other or has the risk of inherited genetic diseases. If you are looking at getting a puppy I would highly recommend going to a good breeder,
if it is a good breeder, they are going to want to know about you and will want to do reference checks, they would have you sign a contract that if for some reason you no longer want the dog it must be returned back to them, they will provide a health, temperment and hip guarantee. Several years ago I went through a backyard breeder to get a GSD pup, for the first few months he seemed like the most fantastic pup in the world, but then at about 4 to 5 months of age I started noticing him become more aggressive, and it gradually got worse at 6 months I had him neutered hoping he would improve, but it did not help then I went to the vet to see if he could find any problems , I took him thru obedience training, at about 8 months I finally took him to a behaviourist what they found that he was wired wrong mentally, the recommendation was that I have him put down, it took me a while to accept but the day I seen him ram into the chain link fence to try and grab a child on the other side, I finally accepted he was too dangerous and if I didn't. one accidental slip up on my part could result in him possibly killing someone. It is not an experience I want to see another go through