PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin E on scar question

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Ok, you all suggested I put vitamin E on my scar to help make it invisible. My question is, how much and how often? We've got some 1000 iu pills laying around so I was using those. On the weekend, I put a little on in the morning while we were lounging around in our PJs, then put some more on in the evening when I put my bathrobe on to watch a movie. During the day I wear turtlenecks all the time (since it's that time of year) so it just all rubs off on the collar - which is icky. Now during the week, I go right from bed into the shower so I don't have time to put it on in the morning, so is rubbing it in good in the evening enough, too much or just right? :confused:

Like I said, I really don't care about the scar. I'm sure it will diminish plenty where only really close up you'll be able to see it, but since I decided to do the vitamin e thing, I thought I'd get the details so I do it right. ;)

ramanth
12-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Oh man. I can't remember what the doc suggested to me. Sorry! :o

Rachel
12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
I did a little searching on the web and found this at http://www.yourmedicalguide.com/Skin-Diseases/Scar-Treatments.htm

Simple Treatments

Some suggest that using creams containing Vitamin E, taking vitamin E supplements, or including plenty of vitamin E in a diet from sources such as wheat germ, nuts, vegetable oils, eggs and green vegetables, can help speed up the healing process, and lessen the appearance of any scar afterwards.

Other research, however, suggests that applying Vitamin E to post surgical scars does not reduce the size, shape, or color of scars and can, in up to one third of patients, result in contact dermatitis, allergic reactions, or other irritation that can worsen a scar's appearance. (Source: Baumann, Dermatologic Surgery, 1999. Also:

There is also a suggestion that cocoa butter cream can be used to help heal scars, and to prevent the formation of keloid scars