PDA

View Full Version : Ear Cropping

.sarah
12-05-2005, 02:25 PM
I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on this.

I am very against it unless if it is done for medical purposes. Putting your dog through an unnecessary surgery that is done for your enjoyment is just plain wrong. I don't care if you're going to show your dog, I don't care if you think it will look better. Why would you subject your PUPPY to anesthesia and risks when it's all done for cosmetic reasons?

P.S. I searched -- all the threads on this topic were old :)

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't be against adopting a dog with ears that were already cropped... and, I guess if it's required for showing or whatever, I can see why some people still do it. But, it would be cool if it wasn't considered a fault. Hmmm...and, I can see how if someone had a guard dog, just because it does make the dog look scarier. :( Eh, I wouldn't do it, though...I actually would like to get a doberman in the future, and, I would keep everything natural. Same if I got a great dane...I chose against...even though I'm not 100% always grossed out or offended by it...I'm not really undecided, though. ;)

.sarah
12-05-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't care if I adopt a dog with cropped ears ... I would just never have it done myself and don't understand why people do it. Unless if it's a medical purpose, people always seem to come up with excuses.

Kfamr
12-05-2005, 02:46 PM
100% against it.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-05-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm neither against or for ear cropping anymore. I prefer the appearance of all natural dogs (long tails, floppy ears) personally, so if/when I get another Dobe I definitely won't be cropping her (Not really much of a choice when it comes to docking though...)

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Dobe I definitely won't be cropping her (Not really much of a choice when it comes to docking though...)

Why is that? Do you know? I mean, the only reason I'm asking is because a doberman is one of the breeds I've wanted, and, might possibly look into when I'm ready and able to get another dog...how young are they when they dock them? I won't end up getting one at all if I can't choose a natural tail. That stinks!

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Why is that? Do you know? I mean, the only reason I'm asking is because a doberman is one of the breeds I've wanted, and, might possibly look into when I'm ready and able to get another dog...how young are they when they dock them? I won't end up getting one at all if I can't choose a natural tail. That stinks!

They're docked at about 2 days old usually...

JenBKR
12-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Against. I can't imagine putting my dog through that unless there was a medical reason.

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 03:14 PM
They're docked at about 2 days old usually...

WOW! I knew it was young, but, I had no idea it was that early. Dang, I guess that makes it an easy decision for me...no dobies in my future. Poo. I guess if I met a breeder that would make an exception for me...hmmm...oh, well...We'll see if and when it comes up.

Jessika
12-05-2005, 03:15 PM
WOW! I knew it was young, but, I had no idea it was that early. Dang, I guess that makes it an easy decision for me...no dobies in my future. Poo. I guess if I met a breeder that would make an exception for me...hmmm...oh, well...We'll see if and when it comes up.

Dobes aren't the only breed that have tails docked however. Aussies, Rotts, many other breeds have tails docked as newborns. But this isn't about docking so I won't go on hehe

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Dobes aren't the only breed that have tails docked however. Aussies, Rotts, many other breeds have tails docked as newborns. But this isn't about docking so I won't go on hehe

Yeah, I know...just dobermans are the only breed on my wish list that do. :)

jackie
12-05-2005, 03:18 PM
I am against.

.sarah
12-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Why would you not get one just because it has a docked tail? It is because you're against it and don't want to support it?

A responsible breeder can't hold back a puppy just for one person because at that age they can't tell anything about who will be a show or pet puppy. So all the tails must be docked.

If you wanted a Dobe without a docked tail you will need to look for a breeder overseas. If it is because you aren't supporting docking, why don't you just get a rescue? That way you know your money is for a good cause and you're saving a life :)

senorita02
12-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I used to be against it, but... i have changed my tune on it, i am not saying i am totally for it, but i wouldnt think any less of a person becuase they had their dogs ears cropped, if it were the standard of the breed, and done at the proper time, (when they are very young).
My girl (Presa Canario) has her ears cropped and my boy (Rottweiler) has his tail docked.
However... i didnt choose this, the breeders were not letting their pups go to their homes until they were docked/cropped. And i prefer the look on them anyway.

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Why would you not get one just because it has a docked tail? It is because you're against it and don't want to support it?

I would just rather have an all natural dog, nothing against anything, really. but, if I had a choice, which I do...I would prefer a dog with natural ears and a natural tail. :) And, as for rescue, I'm not sure what I'll be doing when it comes time for me to get another dog. It just depends on who I click with.

.sarah
12-05-2005, 03:33 PM
I would just rather have an all natural dog, nothing against anything, really. but, if I had a choice, which I do...I would prefer a dog with natural ears and a natural tail. :) And, as for rescue, I'm not sure what I'll be doing when it comes time for me to get another dog. It just depends on who I click with.
Ah, I see. Well, I know ear cropping is outlawed in other countries and I believe docking is as well, although I'm not positive. If you're willing to have a pup shipped, then that's what you'll have to do to get a natural dog :)

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Ah, I see. Well, I know ear cropping is outlawed in other countries and I believe docking is as well, although I'm not positive. If you're willing to have a pup shipped, then that's what you'll have to do to get a natural dog :)

Yeah, I knew it could be that complicated. Like I said, though, I have no idea...dobermans are just one of the handful of breeds I've always admired, and, have tossed the idea around...but, again, labs weren't even a consideration for me before, but, I met Finn and fell hard. So, you never know!

wolflady
12-05-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm against both cropping and docking, but it wouldn't affect my decision to rescue one of these breeds. I do love natural dobies though. They're stunning!!

After seeing certain surgeries at the vet hospital during my time there, I have really come to dislike some of the procedures. The puppies are so pitiful when they are brought in for tail docking. Since they're so young and the procedure is so quick, no anesthesia is used. They basically just clip the poor little tails off! :eek: We would call it "puppy torture" whenever someone brought puppies in for docking. Poor things! You could hear their screams all the way to the front of the hospital! :( That's a sound you don't soon forget. :(

I really don't see the point in either ear cropping or tail docking (unless for a medical reason), but I know that's what's preferred in show dogs. For non-show dogs...what's the point?

**hugs**

areias
12-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm against ear cropping. I think it really is pitiful looking-one of the ladies at my work just got a Boxer puppy to be shown, and his ears are done already. But he had problems with it...one of the ears swelled up and now that it's untaped, you can see all the scabbing and everything. Especially if its done by an educated person-I've seen dobes with ears cropped like a Pit, and Boxers done completely wrong. It's really kind of sad...

Docking isn't something I'm totally against. It's useful for different dogs...Dobes, Great Danes, etc can get "happy tail"...it's so long, it wags so much that when they smack it against something it will break. And for working aussies, especially ones with really full coats, its useful not to have a huge furry tail dragging around, and when they use the bathroom it won't get all caught up in the tail area.

IRescue452
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Well, I think it does make some breeds look better, like the briard, but I wouldn't do it myself. Personally, if you must change the dog's appearence to suit your wants, I think you shouldn't have that breed. I've also heard of breeders making acceptions to cropping and occasionally docking. Docking is only done in a few countries, so you can find undocked puppies. I'm undecided on docking because some dogs do break their tails more often or break the skin and bleed. Cropping on the other hand doesn't do anything to help the dog.

K9soul
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Strongly against the practice of ear cropping. In my mind it is not all that different from declawing as far as being a mutilation, but in dogs it is purely done for cosmetic reasons. I know show people and breeders if they want to get anywhere in the ring have to in the U.S. (although that is beginning to change from what I understand), but I bet many wouldn't miss it if the AKC changed their stance on it. I'd love to see it become a disqualification in conformation but I doubt it.

Now, this is not to say I feel anyone who has it done is a bad person or a bad/cruel owner because that is not necessarily true at all. I just vehemently dislike the actual procedure.

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Personally, if you must change the dog's appearence to suit your wants, I think you shouldn't have that breed.

Yeah, that's basically my stand on it. ;) That's why dobermans might not be a breed I get in the future...

I'm undecided on docking because some dogs do break their tails more often or break the skin and bleed.

Yeah, my friends in Texas have a lab that busts his tail open all the time. Poor thing. :( They've considered having their dog's tail docked because of it.

Flatcoatluver
12-05-2005, 05:23 PM
whoops!! I posted for it when i am actually against it!! sorry! yeah no i am totally against it

sammy101
12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
i'm not for or against it. If i bought a dog from a breeder,most likely i wont get there ears cropped.I would rescue one though :)
I know my breed,bull terriers,naturally stand up and sometimes they need help with there ears ,so i know some breeders tape them to help with there ears.I have nothing wrong with that because they're ears are naturally standing up.

cali
12-05-2005, 06:12 PM
against, I both dislike the proceeder and I hate the look of cropped ears. I know with Pyrsheps they are supposed to be both cropped and docked, neither of which are needed for herding sheep, and both are used soley to hide faults lol for example with most cropped breeds it makes flop ears stand up, but with pyr sheps, well their ears naturally stand up.. but for the show ring they are supposed to be tipped, cropping in this case is quite litterlly chopping off the top of the ear to make it APPEAR tipped. :eek: there is absolutly no exuse for this, if they are so obbessed with tipped ears then do what every other breed does and glue em. the docking is also to hide a fault.. they are not supposed to have a gay tail, so in this breed if a pup ends up with a gay tail they chop it off. :eek: these in my opnion are completly inexusuable.

cocker_luva
12-06-2005, 09:25 PM
im for it

Vette
12-08-2005, 05:38 AM
I dont have anything aginst cropping as long as its done right.
same for docking. but thats a different mater. :)

Vette
12-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Dang, I guess that makes it an easy decision for me...no dobies in my future. Poo. .

If you find a good breeder and ask the breeder before the dog is bred,, to keep one puppys tail undocked. :)
but you wont be able to have pick of the litter,, or rescu if thats what you wanted to do.

i have seen undocked and cropped Dobes and Rotts before though. so keep your eyes open. :)

LKPike
12-08-2005, 09:32 AM
I support it when its the normal for the breed.

neko1
12-09-2005, 08:43 AM
After seeing certain surgeries at the vet hospital during my time there, I have really come to dislike some of the procedures. The puppies are so pitiful when they are brought in for tail docking. Since they're so young and the procedure is so quick, no anesthesia is used. They basically just clip the poor little tails off! :eek: We would call it "puppy torture" whenever someone brought puppies in for docking. Poor things! You could hear their screams all the way to the front of the hospital! :( That's a sound you don't soon forget. :(

Yes it's horrible. I *hated* when the breeders would bring in the puppies. Their screams are the worst-it really makes you wanna cry. None of the girls ever wanted to hold the puppies while the doc did the docking because we all just felt it was so torturous for them. And then to see all those poor little tails lying there on the table--ugh I can't go into it anymore :(

senorita02
12-09-2005, 09:03 AM
now that does sound torturous, dont they use anesthethia or something?

lv4dogs
12-09-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm mostly against it.

I personally would not have it done to any of my pets, unless it needed to be done due to a medical problem. I also don't mind if others have to have it done as long as it will help the dogs health.

I am for it though ONLY if the breed standard says that it HAS to be done AND ONLY if you are showing that dog. BUT I do wish that the AKC & other organizations would change it so that you could show natural ears.

I was wondering was there ever a reason to crop ears? Like some breeds of dogs have their tails docked because they heard, it prevents them from getting it stepped on, or hunting dogs where it prevents damage that could occur while running through overgrowth and the like. But I've never heard of a logical (other than looks) reason to crop ears.

senorita02
12-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Our breeder we got Senorita from said that some of her dogs had problems (especially her dad) with ear infections, the Presas ears are long and floppy and her dad had his kept long, and her mothers were cropped, her dad had ear infections, her mother did not, so she wanted them cropped and it was in the contract. so we went with it.
Our CocKER Spaniel when i was growing up of course had the long floppy ears and he had constant ear infections .

Lady's Human
12-09-2005, 03:32 PM
With all the breeds that have long floppy ears and no issues with ear infections, (St bernards, Labs, Hounds of almost all descriptions) it sounds like an appearance issue more than anything.

lv4dogs
12-09-2005, 03:35 PM
With all the breeds that have long floppy ears and no issues with ear infections, (St bernards, Labs, Hounds of almost all descriptions) it sounds like an appearance issue more than anything.

Actually all of the breeds you listed have a very well known to get re-occuring ear infections but they don't crop their ears. I am also betting it is only for appearance.

Lady's Human
12-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Well, the list above is from personal experience with the breeds. the animals I have known from the breeds have not had that issue.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-09-2005, 03:41 PM
I was wondering was there ever a reason to crop ears? Like some breeds of dogs have their tails docked because they heard, it prevents them from getting it stepped on, or hunting dogs where it prevents damage that could occur while running through overgrowth and the like. But I've never heard of a logical (other than looks) reason to crop ears.

I'm not sure what the reason was for any breeds other than Dobermans but the reason they began cropping Dobe ears is because they were used as security dogs and they wanted any "handles" off the dog so that people could grab them by their tail or ears. The other reason they began cropping them is because the man who made the breed was trying to get a dog with naturally standing ears but he past away before he got that chance so for some reason, people thought it'd be a wonderful thing to crop them. That's what I've read in various Doberman books and internet sites anyway...

dogzr#1
12-09-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm against ear cropping. I just don't like the fact that a dog's ears are being cut off just because you like the way they look.

as for docking- i'm not completly against it but i certaintly won't do it if I get a dog that would normally have a docked tail. i.e- doberman.

Suki Wingy
12-09-2005, 07:27 PM
I have no problem with it. Wouldn't say I'm for it because that seems like I want all the particular animals of the breeds that usually do it to have it done. Either way I don't care.

cloverfdx
12-10-2005, 01:22 AM
I am completly against it, thank goodness it is illegal here.

Kari you could always import an all natural australian bred Dobie ;).

im for it
cocker_luva ^ I am just wondering why?

Buddy Blaze Lover
12-10-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't care if I adopt a dog with cropped ears ... I would just never have it done myself and don't understand why people do it. Unless if it's a medical purpose, people always seem to come up with excuses.

Same here!:(

animal_rescue
12-10-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm for it.

.sarah
12-11-2005, 07:17 PM
So far none of the people who are for it have really explained themselves. I am very curious why you are for it.

CagneyDog
12-11-2005, 07:22 PM
I am 100% against it. There is NO reason to get it done;.

.sarah
12-11-2005, 08:00 PM
now that does sound torturous, dont they use anesthethia or something?
If you're talking about tail-docking, no they don't.

senorita02
12-12-2005, 08:17 AM
I did explain why i was for it, i said if it fit the breed standard i was for it if not then no i am not for it.

Example...Rotties tails
Dobie... Ears & tails

Now if someone were to crop there Rotties ears, i would say thats ridiculous, and i also stated that i would only be for it if it were done at the proper time, very early on.