PDA

View Full Version : Cha-cha-cha

catnapper
12-05-2005, 09:41 AM
As hubby says "diarrhea, cha-cha-cha" :rolleyes:

EVERYONE has diarrhea again. EVERYONE. I took Angel for a direct fecal last week - came back negative. They sent me home with Panacure for her. Then her diarrhea got worse during the week, so back I went with a fecal sample. That too came back negative. Over the weekend, it got WORSE. and ALL my guys have it now too.

Last night, she just about knocked me out when she used the litterbox that is under my desk.

I am at a loss here. I've had undiagnosed diarrhea in the house since the summer. Its getting old now. Things cleared up for a while, but then got bad again. Allen was diagnosed with campy a month ago, and everyone went on antibiotic since its is contagious. Then everythign got better. Once they were done a full course (and then some) of the antibiotic, the diarrhea returned.

My house smells BAD. Then I added Aladdin the other night who has never been neutered.... and boy the boy's urine SMELLS. So now my house smells like poop and strong urine (amazing how the smell can come up from the basement, and he HAS been using the litterbox, no misses yet)

I guess there is no point to this thread but to vent. I just called the vet and they want me to return with Angel for yet another direct fecal. What if this one comes back negative? I think I might just go junmp off the nearest bridge! :(

I've tried everything - pumpklin, yogurt, panacure, albon, erythromycin, clavmox, baytril... and so far no luck! The only thing keeping me sane is knowing other people in the rescue are experiencing the SAME thing... and feeling the same way.

Laura's Babies
12-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Hummmmm! That is puzzeling as all get out! What is the world can it be? Do you think maybe the vet is missing something? That "to close to the forest to see the trees" thing? Have you tried different food to see if it is the food? Something in the water perhaps? gee whiz, I am stumped and I bet you ARE pulling your hair out!

kimlovescats
12-05-2005, 09:57 AM
I feel your pain ... I am treating 4 of my adult female (post-moms) for the same thing. They have had it so bad their little bottoms are raw as can be!
:( We are using the albon and thankfully it does seem to be improving. I just hope it lasts! Appears to be Coccidia for now. I panic everytime I hear the wrong "sounds" in the litterbox ... so afraid that it will spread like a wildfire through my babies here too. Has your doctor tried Clindamycin? That is what we finally had to use with some kittens about a year ago! Ask your vet about trying that. Another (brand) name for it is Antirobe!

GOOD LUCK! ;)

catnapper
12-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Well, Angel just went.... and its actually halfway firm, but still smells terrible. So now I don't know WHAT to think! I'll take the fresh sample instead of her, and if things continue to firm up, then we're ok, but if it gets worse, then back I'll go in a few days with Angel. Problem is time is running out. Her new parents want her thursday!!! :eek:

Well, I'm taking Aladdin to the vet today and he might be staying to be neutered. So really, going to pivck him up and taking Angel along won't be a problem. Or should I just take her today?

kimlovescats
12-05-2005, 10:16 AM
I think just taking the sample will be ok for now ... as long as she isn't to the point of dehydrating ... which I KNOW you would take her in if she were! ;)

CalliesMom
12-05-2005, 11:25 AM
CatNapper, you should really have the vet clinic run a Sheathers fecal exam instead. Direct smears don't pick up everything and the sheathers is generally good at getting all the eggs/organisms to float to the top. The old lab I used to work in ran fecals all the time and they always ran sheathers vs. doing a direct smear. Good luck and I hope you figure out what's going on!

catmandu
12-05-2005, 06:58 PM
I had some problem with runny poos,until I switched to Nutro Complete Care Indoor,and the problem is gone.
Senior Formula,I hope that you can get things back to normal for your Poor Cats.

jenluckenbach
12-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Kim, this won't cure the cause of the problem, but it might help firm them up. Go to a drug store and into the vitamin/suppliment section and get lactose free acidobacillus pills. (OR, remind me to bring you some Sunday). It is a "good" bacteria. and with all the antibiotics killing ALL bacteria, good and bad, it sometimes helps to normalise the intestinal track.

1/4 tablet popped or crushed in food. once a day.

Worth a shot.