PDA

View Full Version : ___Foxy had an Operation___

gkristian
12-05-2005, 03:47 AM
Yesterday we had out Christmas BBQ at the local dog-training club where we train and I teach. Foxy went for a run with a couple of other dogs and when I called him back I noticed that he was favouring one leg (his right). So I checked his left leg to see if there was anything there and I couldn’t find anything, but I checked him again about 5mins later and found a rather large lump. I didn’t have a clue what it was, since Foxy is my first dog and he’s never had a crass seed or anything like that before, but the first thing that I thought or was a tumour. I got a couple of the agility people that I train with to have a look at it and they said it was most likely to be a grass seed. I was planning to take him to the vet this morning, but he got pretty bad during the day yesterday. He didn’t want to walk anywhere with me, and he was sleeping on the ground where there was food and didn’t worry about it. I got really concerned and one of the people took me to try and find a vet (most of the vets were closed because it was Sunday), and after driving for about an hour we found one that was opened. We took him in and the vet said that his temperature was pretty high (41*C), so he gave him an injection and some antibiotics and said to take him to the vet that we usually go to, to have the grass seed taken out. So I took him to the vet this morning at about 9:30am and I didn’t pick him up till 4:30pm. He has a pretty big wound (about 10-12cm long) and his left leg is all shaved. He seems pretty happy considering the situation. We have to wait 2 weeks till the stitches come out and he can’t go for walk or do any kind of exercise till then.

chocolatepuppy
12-05-2005, 05:11 AM
Poor Foxy. :( I hope he does well recouperating.

RobiLee
12-05-2005, 05:51 AM
{{Hugs for you and Foxy}}

I'm sending out lots of positive healing vibes. Be a good boy Foxy and don't be doing any running about. Time to relax and take it easy for a bit.

Daisy and Delilah
12-05-2005, 07:32 AM
(((((((HUGS FOR FOXY))))))) Get better sweetheart :)

cloverfdx
12-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Get well soon Foxy {{Hugs}}.

anna_66
12-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad to hear that Foxy is home recouperating.
Get well soon sweetheart!

Ginger's Mom
12-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Oh, I am sorry to hear that. I sure hope Foxy recovers quickly and completely. {{{Big Hugs}}} to you and Foxy.

lv4dogs
12-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Sorry about the injury but I'm glad to hear that she got treatment right away. Get better soon sweet Foxy girl!

k9krazee
12-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Poor Foxy :( Wishing you a quick recovery...

gemini9961
12-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Get well Foxy.

IRescue452
12-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Quite a quick operation. I've never had problems with grass seeds, I'd be scared too. Imagine finding a lump that quickly and a high temperature too. All from a seed. I hope Foxy has a quick recovery. Lots of healing vibes coming your way.

Lobodeb
12-05-2005, 05:11 PM
What an ordeal in one day!

I'm glad you had the wherewithall to get it looked at so quickly!

Speedy recovery, Foxy!

poofy
12-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Get well soon foxy.. :)

Toby's my baby
12-05-2005, 07:13 PM
{{Prayers}} for a fast recovery!!

gkristian
12-05-2005, 10:04 PM
thank you for the commentes everyone. Foxy has been pretty much sleeping ever since he came home. He sees to be ok. The only problem is though: he doesn't want to go to the toilet. i've taken him outside about 5 time today and he doesn't want to go. He's been drinking a lot of water (more than usual) and he hasn't been to the toilet at all since he's come home. Does anyone know why?

dukedogsmom
12-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Get well soon, Foxy! I don't know about the peeing thing. What is a grass seed injury? I have never heard of that.

gkristian
12-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Get well soon, Foxy! I don't know about the peeing thing. What is a grass seed injury? I have never heard of that.
a grass seed injury is when the grass seed goes inside the skin and it keeps on going in deeper until it's taken out. grass seeds are designed to work one way: they only go down and can't come out by them selfs and thats why an operation is needed to get the grass seed out.

vinjashira
12-06-2005, 03:49 AM
get well soon Foxy

our instructor did warn us about grass seeds. it is important to check if there is a grass seed anywhere in the body after you take your dog out as it can be dangerous once it gets into the system like Foxy.

IRescue452
12-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Here's a article about grass seeds, which I didn't know could be deadly if they migrate to the lungs or other organs
http://www.bellaonline.com/ArticlesP/art29569.asp

Warning-gruesome pics if you click the link to see a specific case

tatsxxx11
12-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Oh dear:( What a day for you and poor Foxy! So glad to hear he's doing well, on the road to recovery! How bizarre, a grass seed!:( Thank you so much for the important info./caution as well! Get well soon, dear Foxy! Big, healing hugs to you!:)

pitc9
12-06-2005, 01:26 PM
OMG!! :eek:
Good thing Foxy was taken in quickly!!!
Wishing a speedy recovery!!! :D