PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is a miniature Australion Lapradoodle???

Flatcoatluver
12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
OK well today I volunteered to be a elf at patsmart sanda photo shoot. Anyways we got one person that had two lapradoddle or as i like to call them mixed breeds, but anyways, so I pointed to her small labradoodle and said is that a puppy, she is like oh no she's a mini. Australion Labradoddle, I didn't ask her what it is mixed with because I didn't want to sound dumb or rude.

But then all out of no where a lady said omg I have been looking for years, for that breed, So the lady with the dog pulls out the breeders name and number, and says you better hurry because he is going to be breeding just black lapradoodles for now on! :rolleyes: anyway this post is not supposed to be a conflict post. But I want to know what the heck is a miniture australion lapradoodle!?!?!

CagneyDog
12-04-2005, 10:09 PM
It's a poorly bred dog from an irresponsible breeder.

AllAmericanPUP
12-04-2005, 10:12 PM
from what i can tell they are just miniature labradoodles bred from australian lines :confused:

Allecto
12-04-2005, 10:14 PM
A lab, mini Australian shepherd and poodle mix?
A lab, australian shepherd, and mini poodle mix?

If I had to guess, those would be it. I tend to think, though, that the most honest answer is "A very over-priced dog, very similar to many dogs sitting in shelters waiting for someone to pay a minimal adoption fee". Just my opinion, though.

.sarah
from what i can tell they are just miniature labradoodles bred from australian lines :confused:
That's what I was thinking. Just a Lab mixed with a Mini Poodle instead of Standard ... from Australia or Australian lines I guess.

Karen
Probably just a Lab crossed with a miniature poodle, instead of a standard poodle.

Jessika
12-04-2005, 10:15 PM
It seems to me to just be another designer breed with a fancy schmancy name :(

Allecto
12-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Aaah... apparently the australians have been breeding multiple generations of Labradoodles and are working with their national kennel club to get the australian multi-generational lines recognized as a new breed. I suppose it is just lab and a smaller than standard poodle, then, that is from several generations of labradoodles, and not just a lab and a poodle. Go figure. Thank you, Google.

Flatcoatluver
12-04-2005, 10:21 PM
I don't know but it just sickens me thinking there is tons of mixed breed dogs (beutiful by the way) that are sitting in a shelter watching their life pass them by.

Allecto
12-04-2005, 10:31 PM
I agree, but a part of me can't totally knock the people working hard to establish a new breed, and I have sympthy for people who's allergies won't allow them to own just any old mutt instead of a $$$$$ mutt.

Jessika
12-04-2005, 10:33 PM
That's what I find so funny about these dogs being bred because they are "hypoallergenic". There is NO hypoallergenic dog! LOL ALL pets have skin and saliva, every dog has dander. ;)

Lady's Human
12-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Just remember, regardless of what the websites say, there is NO hypoallergenic dog. Period.

Flatcoatluver
12-04-2005, 10:34 PM
I Know!!!!

Allecto
12-04-2005, 10:35 PM
I didn't say there was such a thing as a hypoallergenic dog, but there are certainly some dogs less likely to trigger allergies than others.The lady next door to me can't live with the poms and pekes she loves, but has never had an asthma attack from her poodle.

Jessika
12-04-2005, 10:37 PM
I didn't say there was such a thing as a hypoallergenic dog, but there are certainly some dogs less likely to trigger allergies than others.The lady next door to me can't live with the poms and pekes she loves, but has never had an asthma attack from her poodle.

While this is true, it can vary from breed to breed, it can ALSO vary from individual dog to individual dog as well ;)

Allecto
12-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Yes, I know, all I really said was that allergies kept people from being able to pick up just any old mutt, and that some DOGS (dogs, not breeds) are less likely to trigger allergies. The hypollergenic assertion just kind of got pinned on me.

Lady's Human
12-04-2005, 10:46 PM
People who have dog sensitive allergies need to live with a dog for a time to determine if the animal will trigger their allergies or not. The designer mutt industry has tagged labradoodles, schnoodles, etc, as being hypoallergenic, which they are most certainly not.

Bigyummydog
12-05-2005, 02:06 AM
I always make a joke about not charging 'extra' for the fur. MAXIMUS sheads somethin' awful....Yeah, that's supposed to be funny, about the extra fur they may have on their stuff before they get it back. Anyway, this lady was saying, as I measured her hem lines....."The lab puppy we just got is mixed with a poodle, so she is not supposed to shed." What's that supposed to mean? I just...OOOO...almost went off on her. I should have stuck her with a pin(I've never done that, BTW.) Designer dogs!!!!!!!! AAhhh!!! Dogs made just to be what some people think they need/want. Aren't we supposed to accept them as they are? I think it would be better to have designer humans. Wouldn't that be cool??? Make people what they "should" be. Not what we think they should be.....but, what they really should be. That's just what I think though. I need to go to bed, I've been up too long. I think, I'm thinking to much to be reading PT. I may just get really ugly about some things. And, not because I don't mean it.

cloverfdx
12-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Yep they are Miniature Poodle/ Labrador Xs :(. Our kennell club is not at all interested in taking on this "new breed", thank doG ;).

lv4dogs
12-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Just another yucky desinger name. I refuse to call any labradoodles, or goldendoodles & the such a breed no matter what.
They will NEVER EVER be a breed, a breed is what you get when you breed 2 of the same dogs to get that dog. Well with those dogs you have to breed a lab & a poodle to get a labradoodle, you CAN NOT breed a labradoodle with a labradoodle and get labradoodle puppies. They have to half & half.

Personally I could not of kept my mouth shut in your situation. I would of told them exactly that and more. I wouldn't care if I sounded stupid, I'd just point out that that I am stupid when it comes to dogs that are not breeds, they aren't breeds to begin with and they never will be.

areias
12-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Yea, its probably just a mixed breed. I hate designer dogs!

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but on a similar note, we had an "Australian Bush Terrier" come into the kennel last year. I just though it kind of looked like a Dachshund mixed with something with fur. What do you think? I couldn't find anything on the internet about them.

Jessika
12-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Yea, its probably just a mixed breed. I hate designer dogs!

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but on a similar note, we had an "Australian Bush Terrier" come into the kennel last year. I just though it kind of looked like a Dachshund mixed with something with fur. What do you think? I couldn't find anything on the internet about them.

Could it have just been a long-haired dachshund??

lute
12-05-2005, 05:30 PM
i don't like designer dogs. they are just stupidly priced mixed breeds. alot of them end up in humane societies and don't get adopted. when i worked at a petstore they had a litter of labradoodles ON SALE for $2,000!!! :eek: amazingly they all sold quickly! :rolleyes:

Flatcoatluver
12-05-2005, 05:31 PM
At our shelter we got a litter of lapradoodle's and in a weekend they all got homes :rolleyes:

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 05:34 PM
They will NEVER EVER be a breed, a breed is what you get when you breed 2 of the same dogs to get that dog. Well with those dogs you have to breed a lab & a poodle to get a labradoodle, you CAN NOT breed a labradoodle with a labradoodle and get labradoodle puppies. They have to half & half.

I disagree with the whole designer dog thing, too...but, isn't this how almost all breeds started out? Breeding two different types of dogs for enough years to eventually consistently and predictably get the same puppies with the desired characteristics? It makes sense that if they keep breeding these dogs, that eventually you would be able to breed a labradoodle to a labradoodle and get labradoodles. I just hate the stupid names they make up for them. It's dumbing it down for people so that they know what they're getting. Ugh. I mean, if they're really trying to come up with a new, long lasting breed with future hopes that it will be recognized, why not just come up with a completely new name? Anyway...it's a cycle that will always always be moving...unfortunately.

Flatcoatluver
12-05-2005, 05:39 PM
I disagree with the whole designer dog thing, too...but, isn't this how almost all breeds started out? Breeding two different types of dogs for enough years to eventually consistently and predictably get the same puppies with the desired characteristics? It makes sense that if they keep breeding these dogs, that eventually you would be able to breed a labradoodle to a labradoodle and get labradoodles. I just hate the stupid names they make up for them. It's dumbing it down for people so that they know what they're getting. Ugh. I mean, if they're really trying to come up with a new, long lasting breed with future hopes that it will be recognized, why not just come up with a completely new name? Anyway...it's a cycle that will always always be moving...unfortunately.
yeah but do we really need more dogs in our population with thousands of healthy dogs are dying every year??

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 05:42 PM
yeah but do we really need more dogs in our population with thousands of healthy dogs are dying every year??

you're seriously asking me that? i didn't say at any point that i agreed with it at all. i was just making a comment based on this comment "a breed is what you get when you breed 2 of the same dogs to get that dog"...because that, as far as i know, isn't the way it happens.

Jessika
12-05-2005, 05:42 PM

Well the same arguement could be used against breeding the current breeds, you know??

I don't agree with designer breeds but at the same time that IS how our current breeds all came to be in most cases. Now more "established" designer breeds SUCH AS the Labradoodle have a better chance of becoming a "real" breed but other ones like the Puggle and whatnot are crosses that are only made to feed the public for a certain time span. Once the public is bored with Puggles those "breeders" will move on to a new "designer breed". It's sick but true.

IRescue452
12-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Quotes:
"yeah but do we really need more dogs in our population with thousands of healthy dogs are dying every year??"

"I don't know but it just sickens me thinking there is tons of mixed breed dogs (beutiful by the way) that are sitting in a shelter watching their life pass them by."

Well there are 2,344 golden retrievers (to pick a breed) on petfinder right now, and many purebred puppy litters. So when a "reputable breeder" (not to mention any names) sells puppies, don't they also lessen the chance for shelter puppies to be adopted? I mean they cancelled out a family that was looking for a golden puppy. If you read my siggie I hope you agree that all breeders, even show breeders, should stop unless they are willing to do something with the shelter dogs that lost their chance because of them.

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 06:23 PM
and, just a question...is it laPradoodle? Or laBradoodle? I mean, it makes more sense that it's the second one, but, heck, the whole thing doesn't make sense, so, I wasn't sure. ;) I've seen it both ways, but, I'm assuming one way is right...anyone know for sure? I thought it was labradoodle...

Allecto
12-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I've always seen it as labradoodle, with a b.

Jessika
12-05-2005, 06:40 PM
its LaBradoodle, because its a mix between a Labrador and a Poodle. ;)

And also she spelled Australian wrong in the subject too so I would chalk it up to typos :D

Flatcoatluver
12-05-2005, 06:54 PM
jessika you should know by now i can't spell to save my life!

Jessika
12-05-2005, 06:56 PM

Oh hon I wasn't knocking on your spelling as I said they were probably just typos!!

Funny story though, for the LONGEST time I thought "Australian" was spelled "Austrailian" lol

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 06:57 PM

I wasn't knocking your spelling, either, as I've seen many people spell it with a 'p.' and, i hadn't noticed the title at all...oops. ;)

Flatcoatluver
12-05-2005, 07:09 PM
OH no I was just saying that jessika knows i suck at spelling ! :D

Vela
12-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Quotes:
So when a "reputable breeder" (not to mention any names) sells puppies, don't they also lessen the chance for shelter puppies to be adopted? I mean they cancelled out a family that was looking for a golden puppy. If you read my siggie I hope you agree that all breeders, even show breeders, should stop unless they are willing to do something with the shelter dogs that lost their chance because of them.

No way. I want responsible breeder breeding to BETTER the breeds and breed out the genetic deformities now popping up in them and doing all of the required testing so that I can buy a healthy dog. I have nothing at all against shelter dogs, but if I specifically want a Boxer, I want to go to a boxer breeder who does all the appropriate things so I stand a better chance of getting a healthy dog. Responsible breeders should NOT be penalized because someone else was stupid and didn't fix their pets or is a BYB. The only way to ever better the breeds and breed out genetic abnormalities to have those FEW experienced breeders willing to shell out for the showing and testing of their breeding stock to produce quality animals. If you want to stop the overpopulation of dogs, try going to the source of the problem, which is NOT responsible breeders. You would actually get farther by banning all pet store from selling puppies, kittens etc. Then the puppy mills wouldn't have so much business and all of those sick dogs from those puppy mills with inherited genetic and temperament issues wouldn't end up in the shelter.

I hate the fact that so many wonderful dogs are put down every day, but that is not a responsible breeder's fault. I have had shelter dogs, and I may again, but I also want to be able to purchase a dog of whichever breed I choose from a responsible breeder who can provide me with copies of their health testing on paper so I can see it and who show their dogs to make sure their stock is of the best quality. There is nothing wrong with that.

K9soul
12-05-2005, 07:42 PM
The people who feel responsible breeders need to stop breeding at all to clean up the messes of the irresponsible, puppymills, and so on are promoting the opposite of what they seem to want. That would only SUPPORT puppymills and BYB and the like, I don't understand how people can't see that? It's not realistic to think that if all reputable breeders were stopped, suddenly it'd solve the homeless/shelter dog problem. That's just not how it would be. In effect it would be like pit bull banning which punishes the responsible people and forces the bad owners/fighters to go to the next breed or go underground. You're wanting to punish and penalize the few people who are doing things the RIGHT way. Sure someone MAY go to a shelter instead of to a breeder, but they just as likely may go to their neighbor who is now breeding puppies because demand is higher for that certain type since it's hit and miss at the shelter.

Reputable breeders' dogs rarely end up in shelters because any true responsible breeder will always take their dog back if things don't work out. Outlaw all breeding, and quicker than you realize dogs will be phased out (and of course you know there'd be an underground trade for it then as well.) If all reputable breeders stopped the way you say they should, pet stores, puppymills, and BYB would become much more profitable and I'm willing to bet you there'd be no decrease in numbers at the shelters.

People who go to a reputable breeder are not bad people and there is nothing wrong if they want to go that route. People who ARE reputable breeders, truly responsble, are NOT to blame for dogs dying in shelters. I say efforts should be aimed at stopping puppymills, backyard breeding, designer mutt breeding and irresponsible breeding. Not focused on stopping the one group who are doing things correctly and responsibly.

areias
12-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Could it have just been a long-haired dachshund??

Oh, no, I forgot about longhaireds. :o No, it was quite different than a normal one. It had a long body, with longer legs than a dachshund, kind of a seal brown with fading tan points and a white star on its chest. Its fur was fairly thick unlike the long haired dachshund, but it wasn't really long fur though. Strange...I'm not sure what it was.

lv4dogs
12-06-2005, 09:11 AM

Thats what I thought too, but at the local shelter I volunteer at they often have little conferences about different subjects. I went to one a couple months ago where they had vets, trainers & breeders speak about designer breeds. I can't remember all the technical things that explained why but apparently they ALL said that a labradoodle can NEVER be breed, not even after thousands & thousands of years. I'll have to ask my trainer next Sat, as he was one of the speakers... see if he knows/remembers exactly why.

lv4dogs
12-06-2005, 09:14 AM
and, just a question...is it laPradoodle? Or laBradoodle? I mean, it makes more sense that it's the second one, but, heck, the whole thing doesn't make sense, so, I wasn't sure. ;) I've seen it both ways, but, I'm assuming one way is right...anyone know for sure? I thought it was labradoodle...

It probably was just a typo. But as you said I too have seen it spelled both ways. Since it's not really a breed I guess you can spell it however you want to. :p There is no right way to spell a mixed breed other than, mixed, mutt, heinz 57, alloyed, amalgamated, assimilated, assorted, blended, brewed, composite, compound, conglomerate, crossbred, crossed, different, disordered, diverse, diversified, embodied, fused, heterogeneous, hybrid, hybridized, incorporated, infused, interbred, interdenominational, joint, kneaded, married, merged, mingled, miscellaneous, mongrel, motley, multifarious, tied, transfused, united, varied, woven, etc... lol

Flatcoatluver
12-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Just a question why do people call mix breeed heintz 57 never herad that expression b4!

Allecto
12-06-2005, 03:18 PM
It is tied to the Heinz 57 varieties ad slogan... basically, a Heniz 57 dog conatins so many 'varieties' that you can no longer pick out what breeds he came from. Some of the cutest little dogs...

finn's mom
12-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Thats what I thought too, but at the local shelter I volunteer at they often have little conferences about different subjects. I went to one a couple months ago where they had vets, trainers & breeders speak about designer breeds. I can't remember all the technical things that explained why but apparently they ALL said that a labradoodle can NEVER be breed, not even after thousands & thousands of years. I'll have to ask my trainer next Sat, as he was one of the speakers... see if he knows/remembers exactly why.

I wonder what makes a labradoodle any different from any other "breed." So, they're saying that in order to make labradoodles, you have to have a lab and a poodle? That all of the puppies being bred from those two breeds are incapable of breeding? Hmm...I'd be interested in hearing more about that, definitely.

lv4dogs
12-06-2005, 03:38 PM
I wonder what makes a labradoodle any different from any other "breed." So, they're saying that in order to make labradoodles, you have to have a lab and a poodle? That all of the puppies being bred from those two breeds are incapable of breeding? Hmm...I'd be interested in hearing more about that, definitely.

Yeah, thats what they were all saying (1 vet, 2 technicians, 2 trainers & 4 breeders). For some reason they never mentioned it for any other designer breed, like the puggle. They did mention the puggle and other breeds but as far as breeding the offspring (already a labradoodle or goldendoodle) they only mentioned it for the labradoodle & goldendoodle.
I will have to ask my trainer I'm, sure he remembers.

cocker_luva
12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
probably a miniature poodle mixed with a labrador from australia.

cloverfdx
12-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Could it have been an "Australian Silky Terrier" or an "Australian Terrier"?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images/silkyterrierstand.jpg
Silky Terrier

http://www.dogbiz.com/dogs-grp4/australian-terrier/images/aussie-terrier-280x210-tig-128.gif
Aussie Terrier.

Flatcoatluver
12-07-2005, 02:38 PM
no it looked like a labradoodle only a smaller size and I asked her if it is a ppupy and told me no its a austalion minture labradoodle

Jessika
12-07-2005, 02:42 PM
no it looked like a labradoodle only a smaller size and I asked her if it is a ppupy and told me no its a austalion minture labradoodle

I think she was replying to areias ;)

Flatcoatluver
12-07-2005, 02:43 PM
oh whoops sorry duh!!! I havn't read all the post!!!!