PDA

View Full Version : liizards + snakes

reptiledude
12-04-2005, 12:22 PM
i was told that u could keep a lizard and a snake together as long as they grew up with each other. well i have a savannah monitor and a grey rat snake and i was wondering if i could keep them in the same cage.

buttercup132
12-04-2005, 04:29 PM
i wouldnt the liozard is small and may try to eat the snake or opposite i know berded dragon eat abby snakes as sometimes

areias
12-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Hmm but Savannah Lizards are pretty large, he might eat the snake when hes an adult. You might want to see if you can seperate them, if possible.

CathyBogart
12-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Odds are your savannah monitor would see the rat snake as a fun prey item, I wouldn't reccommend it.

Examples of snake-lizard pairs that work well are things like:

Rough green snakes with anoles, house geckos, and small skinks.

Er...actually, that's the only grouping that I have seen succeed. That doesn't mean there aren't other pairings that would work, but I haven't seen them. I did some quick research, and it has so far confirmed my knowledge...that pairing species of lizards and frogs is much easier than pairing snakes with other types of animals.

Allecto
12-04-2005, 10:54 PM
No! Mixed-species vivariums are pretty much best left to very experienced herpers only, and require extensive research, lots of set-up, and a very diligent keeper. Even if you find compatible species, it is quite difficult to set the habitats up so that they are not stressed by the presence of the other species. Also, your sav and rat snake are not only quite incompatible species (the snake would not stand a chance due to size and monitor's appetites, although rats will eat lizards too if they are small enough), but their habitat needs are different enough that you really couldn't house them together without sacrificing the needs of at least one. They also probably both carry parasite and bacteria that are normal to them but alien to the other animal.