PDA

View Full Version : Rockee has really bad kennle cough :(

buttercup132
12-03-2005, 04:56 PM
she has it really bad i feel so bad for her it sounds awful! we took her to the vet last night and thats what they said it was and they told us wat to give her..well lil missy dosent like to have it and she bites your fingers when you try to give it to her! :mad: she was locked downstairs last night and we have a babay gate wich she cant really hop over cuz shes too fat,but she finally got over after trying MANY times and this was in the middle of the night then she went into the bathroom and knocking things over and going insane so my dad took her outside to her pen..well she decided she didnt want to come in he left her out and tried to get her bak in again and she wouldnt budge...so she spent the night outside! but i have no clue where she would have got it from shes not odg freindly so not from another dog, but my other dog had it for a while but it seems to have gone away so she might of caught it form him but i dont know where he would of got it he hasnt been around another dog for gosh ages

Glacier
12-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Kennel Cough is airborne and has about a 10 day incubation period(dog has been exposed but shows no symptoms) So if your other dog had it in the last 2 weeks or so, that's likely where she got it from. My dogs got it two years ago from another dog team over a mile away. His dogs were all sick, we hadn't been there, but it blew down the road. It eventually worked it's way through every dog team in the Yukon practically! It took three weeks to go through all my dogs. The ones that showed signs first were perfectly healthy again by the time the last dogs got it. The only two who never coughed at all both came from big racing kennels and had some form of it previously.

Generally it's not serious. It's like a cold in humans and will run it's course regardless of what you do. My vet doesn't give anti-biotics or anything for it unless it's a young puppy who develops a fever. Kennel cough can turn into pnuemonia in some dogs. I did give a few of my dogs some plain cough syrup at night so they could rest(and so I could too!) Don't let her exercise while she has it. Exercise will only make her cough more. Don't let her near any other dogs. It's highly contagious. She may not feel like eating. That was my first clue that Raven was sick--she refused dinner. The next morning she was hacking! Make sure she keeps drinking. Add chicken broth or something tasty to her water if she doesn't drink much. It's important to keep her hydrated. In 10 days or so, she should be fine.

lute
12-03-2005, 05:12 PM
i thought Maggie had Kennel Cough when we first brought her home. she hasn't coughed since the day we got her, i guess she had something in her airway.

i hopeRockee gets better soon.