PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Please!!!!

SammyCat
12-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Today when i was holding my 3 month old kitten I found a worm on my shirt. It was about 2cm and flat and when it stretched it was long, skinny and 2.5cm.

I am so scared. I called the vets today but they can't help me because you need a doc/patient realtionship? Also I even called the humane society to see if they could help, but they said NO! They said they only treat their animanls! THE HUMANE SOCIETY?!!!!! Why are they so mean?

So I called about 10 pet stores to ask if they have the right medication for the right worm. And After called the 10th place, my dad and I went to pick up the medication, now I read the packet inside, and its the wrong kind.

The vets is open on Monday, so I have to wait so long. We really don't have any money. My parents are in the heat of divorce everyone is emotionally and physically burned out. I only have about $4.50 cents.

I know thats not enough for proper treatment. I dont want my kittens to die. I am sure the other one is infected too.

Can anyone help me out? Any suggestions? Why do people become a vet? To help animals or just for money?! So many people are so creul. I have no where to go!

HELP!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

catnapper
12-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Well, he definately needs a dewormer. He'll need a full run of tests from the vet. Why is he three months old and not seen a vet yet? The vet would have found worms on a previous visit as basic tests, and given him the meds long before they got large enough to be visible on you.

The only thing you can do is make a regular vet appointment, get all his shots, and a full spectrum worm and parasite test. Then while you are there, make an appointment to have him neutered. He'll be 6 months old soon enough, and if you can't get an appointment for deworming him now, you most certainly won't get one in a snap to have him neutered.

And no, the Humane Society doesn't have enough funds to handle the full expenses on all of their own strays, they don't need to be responsible for yours too. Get the kitty to a vet! It should have been done months ago, and he shold have gone back a few times for additional shots.

slick
12-03-2005, 06:11 PM
First of all, calm down. Worms are treatable if you get them in time and it's a good thing you noticed it.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

This will give you a bit of info on worms. Check to see if the one you found matches one the pictures. Yes, you will need to have the kitty dewormed and I don't understand that excuse given to you by the vet. Was this a vet that you've visited reguarly? I'm in Vancouver and there are lots of vets open today although I'm sure they close shortly. Could you at least get a sample of the worm and take it into the vet? Also, you could take a stool sample in to the vet for examination as well.

Sammy, I know that there are vets in our neighbourhood that are open on Sunday too. I'm going to open up my PM's and ask that you let me know where you live. I can help you locate a vet that's open tomorrow. Fast action is what is needed right now, OK?

catnapper
12-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Slick, when they say they need a doctor/patient relationship, they mean they need to have at least seen you and your pet at least once. When I was new here and had an emergency with Nicki, I had a difficult time finding a vet because they take new patients as they can fit them in... usually they need a few weeks time to squeeze newbies in. If you are an established patient, they will make room for you the day you call or within a few days, I just figured this was standard practice.

catmandu
12-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Thankfully I only had worms once,with Mr Scrappy when he was younger.
And I already had a Vet,at the time.
I would take him,to a Vet that , and ask him,if you can get your Cat treated.
Hopefully he will give you a payment schedule that you both can live with.
Good Luck with your Kitten.

slick
12-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks CatN. :) There are three vets in my neighbourhood who will take new patients. I was one 8 years ago and there is no problem switching vets, depending on the circumstances. I know that I can help Sammy get her little kitty into a vet tomorrow...even my own vet would be happy to help out. I've seen it happen before.

Also, my local Humane Society will assist with vet bills whether or not the kitty came from them. I'm not sure what the criteria is though.

I've sent you a PM Sammy. PM me back, OK. We just want to help you and your little fluffball.

SammyCat
12-03-2005, 07:55 PM
thankyou everyone for your replies!!

I just sent you a message SLICK.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/roundandtapes.jpg

I was wondering in that picture is says, "SEGEMENTS"? What are segements? Because I think I found a segment on my shirt, thats kinda what it looked like, and it moved

SammyCat
12-03-2005, 07:58 PM
i was also wondering what exactly is POT BELLIED? I went into the room today to visit my kittens and when I held them their belly was like a hard ballon. I can't wait any longer, I need to do something

slick
12-03-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm just sent you a message back Sammy.