PDA

View Full Version : Canadian breed ban

Ree'sKujo
12-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I was on the internet yesterday and found this article on breed bans in New Brunswick Canada.Anyone who owns a Pit,Rotti or an Akita or any mix of those breeds must first carry a special license,carry a million$ liability policy,If the dog is being walked in public it must be muzzled at all times and if you have him untied in your yard even if it's fenced it must be muzzled at all times.This seems totally extreme to me not to mention if you have a dog who's not a biter and not vicious I think the constant muzzling is just flat out cruel.Talk about total discrimination.Illinois is in the process of a similar law as well.If you again own a Pit,Rotti or Akita you have to carry a special license,300,000$liability policy and register your dog at the local police Dept.,Animal Control and Spca.I'm really ticked about this especially since I just moved to Illinois and Own an Akita.I think if they spent less money trying to ban all of these breeds and put it into the communities to educate people on how to be responsible dog owners and how to properly train their animals it would substantially cut down on some of the dog attacks.I've owned Akita's all my life and only had one that bit .It was because the kids behind me shot him 3x with a paintball gun and one of my sons friends went to pet him after being warned not to because he didn't like kids after that and the kid did it anyone.When will people realize these things don't generally happen because of the breed they happen because of irresponsible owners.

Suki Wingy
12-04-2005, 03:22 PM
what the h311! I usually read all the current BSL stuff and I thought it was out of IL for now!?! Grrrr.. It will never end. :(

ontariogreys
12-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Ontario recently passed some extreme and ridiculous laws regarding pitbulls and ridiculous dangerous dog laws that the government slammed it through refusing to hear opposing sides :mad:

Existing pitbulls and mixes were allowed to be grandfathered in to communities were total bans did not exist, but they must be registered as such, must be neutered and muzzled and leashed, if your dog regardless of breed acts agressive in any way toward a human or even any domestic animal even if it is fear related it, even based on heresay by a disgruntled neighbor, it can be deemed a dangerous dog and seized.

Just don't bring a pitbull or any dog that remotely resembles a pitbull into Ontario to visit, I am sure it is only a matter of time before other breeds become banned as well.

What if I am just passing through Ontario with my pit bull?

You will be in contravention of the law if you are found to have imported a pit bull into the province. Your pit bull may be subject to seizure and you may be subject to a fine and/or jail time. Please note that exceptions exist for Ontario residents who are out of the province with their pit bulls for less than three months. Limited exceptions also exist for individuals coming to Ontario for purposes of participating in recognized dog shows and flyball tournaments.

The new laws here allow the dog to be seized without a warrant, it will then be turned over to the pound for euthansia or sold to a research lab

Ree'sKujo
12-05-2005, 01:14 AM
This doesn't apply in New Bunswick.

Suki Wingy
12-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Geeze, a research lab!

BC_MoM
12-05-2005, 04:21 PM
What is a million dollar liability policy?

Ree'sKujo
12-07-2005, 04:10 PM
If your dog bites someone then that policy pays for what damage the dog did when he attacked.It's kind of like carrying liability on your car.If a person gets hurt while your driving it pays for whatever damage that was done to that person.

king2005
12-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Ya ontario now sucks the big one :( a 1mil insurance is the same amount that we need to fly our plane. I can't see how a dog can cause 1mil worth of damage, since our health care is free (not meds, but the dr./hospital stuff is).

Kosy
12-08-2005, 01:32 PM
The New Brunswick legislation did not pass, so therefore it is not law. The legislature set up a committee to hear from the public, and many interested parties made very good presentations, including my vet, who owns four rotties. The committee agreed that the bill had no merit, and it didn't pass.

king2005
12-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ree'sKujo
12-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Kosy,thanks for the info.It's great to know it didn't pass and the breeds won't be victimized any more then they already are.

Kosy
12-09-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm the legislative editor for New Brunswick, and was very interested in the procedings.