PDA

View Full Version : Going to Maryland

smokey the elder
12-03-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm going to a conference in Bethesda MD starting tomorrow. Does anyone know if crabs are in season? :D

Alysser
12-03-2005, 08:36 AM
No, I habe no idea lol. But they may be going OUT of season since it's getting colder.

Samantha Puppy
12-03-2005, 08:53 AM
No, crabs aren't in season. You can get them but they'll be even more ridiculously expensive than they are IN season. Bethesda isn't really the place to get crabs anyway - you want to travel to Anne Arundel or Baltimore counties - somewhere surrounding the Chesapeake.

For decent seafood, try Phillips or Legal Seafood. For great seafood, go to G&M in Glen Burnie/Arbutus.

Enjoy!

smokey the elder
12-03-2005, 08:55 AM
OK. I thought it was too late. I guess I'll have to eat something else.

Samantha Puppy
12-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Crabs are "in season" from May to about September, depending on how warm the summer's been. You can always get crabcakes, but depending where you go you may end up with more filler than crab. That's why I suggested G&M. You get a baseball-sized crabcake with almost NO filler. As someone born and raised in Maryland all my life, it's a GREAT crabcake. The problem is it's not a chain, so the only one is over near Baltimore (G&M Restaurant (https://gandmcrabcakes.com/)). Phillips isn't bad, neither is Legal - and there are locations near DC - but G&M is better.

Come back in summer - there's nothing like sitting on a deck somewhere with a pile of steamed crabs doused in Old Bay in front of you. *drooling*