PDA

View Full Version : Bears...

Alysser
12-02-2005, 04:50 PM
As some of you know I am going to PA tommorow with my best friend. We are going on a hike in the woods ALONE and I am kind of scared. I know it's stupid but I have heard REALLY scary stroies of bear killing people. I am just afriad if a cub comes near me the mother will KILL me. I know it's stupid but is there anything I can do if this happens?? Or to stay calm if I see a bear or a cougar. :(
Scared Pter,
Alyssa
P.S. I am going to miss PT so much :(

jackie
12-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Where I grew up there is a lot of bears, and while I have seen them, I have never had any problems with them. There is no reason for you to be scared. Bears have very sharp hearing and as soon as they hear you coming, they usually move along. I hope you have a great time!

Alysser
12-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks, I hope the do move on:(Thanks, PA should be fun. My worriyng is kind of stupid.

kuhio98
12-02-2005, 05:17 PM
I have attached bells to my backpack. As I walk, they jingle and let the bears know where I am. Usually, they move off long before I see them. Got any Christmas bells you can carry? You can lace them on a shoestring and wear it for a necklace or bracelet or even put the bells on your own shoelaces.

Alysser
12-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Good Idea. ill try it.

Addie
12-02-2005, 05:26 PM
if you see a bear coming i doubt it will kill you. Just stand still and humm a little song to yourself

neko1
12-02-2005, 08:36 PM
I guess you are not from the same part of Jersey that I am from. I live in bear country (good ol' west milford). The bears here have fun running out in front of our cars, and sauntering down the streets looking for garbage cans.

I grew up in PA, (Nazareth), never saw a bear until I moved to Jersey.

Alysser
12-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Never saw a bear in the wild. But in zoos. I live in Momouth county . Not much happens here, :D

Karen
12-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Black bears are pretty shy of people, you have nothing to worry about. The stories about bears killing people are almost always about grizzly bears, which do not live in Pennsylvania.

Black bears, by the way, can be many different colors, despite their name. If you're still afraid, just be noisy. the most dangerous bear is a cornered bear. It's the wrong time of year for cubs, too, by the way, the cubs would be pretty big by now.

Alysser
12-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks Karen. I never thought they were grizzlies. Most of those stories happened in yellowstone anyway. But I now completely doubt that theres any bears.

moosmom
12-03-2005, 07:32 AM
I saw on television that if being attacked by a bear, you should drop down on the ground into the fetal position and lay perfectly still. The bear will lose interest.

Sorry, that's the practical side of me speaking. ;)

Alysser
12-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Lol! I am bringing a dog training whistle just in case to scare it. I will not blow it unless I need it because some dogs will be attracted by it. lol.