PDA

View Full Version : Sequoia has a boyfriend!!!!!

Denyce
12-02-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't know how many remember the trials we have had with our Sequoia and trying to determine if she is aggressive with all dogs or what. We have taken her to many dog social occasions and whenever another dog gets near her or looks at her she will act up. But sometimes we weren't sure if she was being aggressive or "husky talking". We have talked to numerous people and have watched her carefully and have tried learning and listening to our sweet husky girl to understand her better. She is DEFINATELY aggressive with other aggressive dogs. If they are big and even look her in the eye she will snarl, lunge and make a growling bark. With small dogs she gets so extremely excited that we don't allow her to get too near them. She often will show her teeth and make this yipping noise that isn't a bark or a growl. So we are not always sure how to interpret that. But she seems different around other huskies for the most part yet she will often still lunge, show her teeth and make that weird talk.

Well last Sunday a local pet adoption organization had a large fundraising event called the PAWS Pet Extravaganza. So as usual we took Sequoia. She did her usual act. I even got a slight nip on the leg when I was between her and this Rottie/Chow mix that she wanted to put in his place.

But then this HUGE red/white male husky walked in. Merlyn was the largest husky I have ever seen. Very long legged...almost looked sorta Malumutish but he was a purebred Husky. We talked to Merlyn's parents and explained our dilemma. They said that Merlyn was laid back and wouldn't care if Sequoia nipped him so they let him get right in her face. A local dog behavorist was also standing and watching to help us interpret Sequoia's reaction. WELL!

They stood up on thier toes and sniffed each others faces..then they moved along to sniff butts...all the time being very stiff and only slightly moving their tails...with slight growly noises coming from Sequoia. Suddenly..as fast as you can imagine Sequoia jumps up and puts her paws on Merlyn's back..he then ducks out from under her and puts his paws on her....she crouches down and lunges up for his throat...he goes up..she goes up...and they look like two bears on their hind legs wrapping their paws around each other...growling and showing teeth....AND HAVING THE BEST TIME WRESTLING WITH EACH OTHER!!!!!

The dog behavorist was laughing and saying...."look...she likes him she really likes him" Some people standing around at first thought it was a fight but it was just 2 huskies having a good time. At one point Merlyn tried to walk away and Sequoia nipped his butt demanding he come back and pay attention to her and they started wrestling again.

We exchanged phone numbers and we are hoping that perhaps we can set up some play dates for them. I can't tell you how happy it made me to see her having fun like that. One person told me that the only difference between husky play and husky fight was the amount of blood. I don't know if that is always true but our girl had a really good time going paw to paw with this big male husky.

Denyce

cyber-sibes
12-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Yay for Sequoia! That's wonderful, Denyce. Hope the play dates work out. I've been told by several husky people that huskies do seem to get along better with other huskies because of their social structure. I know they play different than alot of dogs! Mine love each other too, amid all the growls, snarls & wrestling. :)

anna_66
12-03-2005, 10:25 AM
I just knew as soon as you said they were jumping on each others backs that they were Husky Playing:D
I'm so glad to hear that Sequoia has made a friend and hope they can get together often and play!

poofy
12-03-2005, 11:46 AM
wow that is so great, and wonderful for her..hope she can get togather with him often :)

Glacier
12-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Yah! How nice for Sequoia to have a buddy.

I swear huskies speak their own language and sometimes only another husky can understand them. My Chum doesn't have great play skills. Not aggressive, just missed that part of his puppyhood. If he runs into a lab or a golden when he's loose on the trails, there will be some kind of problem. If he runs into a husky, immediately best buddies!

That might have been me that told you about the blood. We often say that around here--No blood means they are just playing.

PS: Where are the pictures of your pretty girl???

cyber-sibes
12-03-2005, 01:45 PM
PS: Where are the pictures of your pretty girl???
Yes, where are the pictures? ;)

Ginger's Mom
12-03-2005, 02:19 PM
I think that is great. Good girl Sequoia. :) I have definitely developed a new type of respect for Huskies since being on Pet Talk. I hope you have many happy play dates, Sequoia.

RobiLee
12-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm so happy to hear this! I hope that you guys will be able to get together and have those play dates. I agree that we need to see some pics of beautiful Sequoia! Its been way too long since we have seen her.

Hugs to Sequoia!

wolf_Q
12-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Way to go Sequoia!

and they look like two bears on their hind legs wrapping their paws around each other...growling and showing teeth....AND HAVING THE BEST TIME WRESTLING WITH EACH OTHER!!!!!
Nebo plays like that all the time.....

You just described how Nebo plays all the time.....huskies are definitely one of a kind lol. The best time we've had at the local dog park was when it was filled with huskies (10+).......lots and lots of growling, chasing, etc it looked vicious but they were all having a blast.

Denyce
12-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Thank you very much everyone... I haven't had much time to be online at all these days. Between being very busy at work and the holiday season I feel like I run about like a chicken with my head cut off. I have a bunch of new pics of Sequoia..I will try and post them as soon as possible!

Of course our neighbors took in a foster dog from the SPCA last week. A really cute little 20 pound ball of energy and attitude. Sequoia was less than impressed with her. I thought at first they might get along because Sequoia was wagging her tail and just yipping. But Angel raised her hackles and bared her teeth while looking Sequoia in the eyes...that was all it took...she went beserk. There wasn't any mistaking play from aggression in that incident...*sigh* But then Angel isn't a husky either! Each encounter is a new learning experience for sure!

Denyce