PDA

View Full Version : Games and Puzzles

Miss Z
12-02-2005, 02:50 PM
At my school me and a group of friends run a puzzle club. Here are some puzzles that we use, have a go and try to think logically, after a few attempts i will post the answers and some more if you like them!:

1. If Mrs Smith's peacock laid an egg in Mrs Dawson's garden, who is the rightful owner of the egg (and it's not the peacock!)?

2. On a table is an egg box containing 6 eggs. 6 people come and each take an egg, but one egg is left in the box. How is this possible?

3. Andrew married 2 women in one week. He did not divorce either of them and the women didn't divorce him. None of them died and Andrew is a Christian. However, Andrew did not commit bigamy. How did he do this?

4. Two mothers and two daughters went out shopping for shoes. Each person bought a pair of shoes, but when they came out of the shop, had just three pairs of shoes. How is this possible?

5. Jenny was asked to draw a picture of her uncle Ronnie for a school portrait display. She had never met him, seen him or heard him described, but she knew exactly what to draw. How did she know?

6. A boy and his dad were driving along a road when another speeding car lost control and the car with the father and son in was knocked off the road. Unfortunately, the father died, but the boy survived with serious injuries. When he was taken to the hospital, the surgeons found that he needed a dangerous operation to give him a chance to live. However, the surgeon saw the boy and said , "I can't operate on him, he's my son." Is this true?

Enjoy!!!!

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Do you want us to post what we think the answers are?

Miss Z
12-02-2005, 02:56 PM
yeah if you think you've got them!:) :D

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Ha ha, just the first one...I mean, my first thought was that peacocks don't lay eggs...is that the line of thought we're supposed to go with?

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 02:58 PM
And, I have no idea on a lot of them...but, just brainstorming...are there seven eggs in the box to begin with? Bah, that seems so silly, ha ha. :)

Miss Z
12-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Well done, first one correct! if you can get that one then a lot of the others follow the same sort of principle, you've got to look at each one with a logical eye................:D no, there are not seven eggs in the box. sorry!

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 02:59 PM
no, there are not seven eggs in the box. sorry!

ok...hmmm....

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Ack, someone takes the box with the one of the eggs still in it?!

Miss Z
12-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Yes! You're good at this!:D

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 03:11 PM
I am still trying to figure the other ones...but, I know the last one...the surgeon's his mom! :)

Miss Z
12-02-2005, 03:12 PM
yep, right! for some reason that question confuses many people, they often think of surgeons as male! that annoys me...:rolleyes:

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Ha ha, my mom totally answered this one without even blinking...he's the minister! :D

Miss Z
12-02-2005, 03:15 PM
yeah, that's one that some people get immediately while some don't get it at all. It depends how you read the word 'marries'.

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Ok, let's see if I can word this correctly....there are only three women...a mother, her daughter, and, her grand daughter... :D hee hee, my brain hurts, but, this is fun!

Miss Z
12-02-2005, 03:17 PM
yes you've done it again:) just one more to go!

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 03:18 PM
yes you've done it again:) just one more to go!

Yeah, and, I know the answer's going to kick me right in the face, but, I can't figure it out, yet. And, I feel bad, since there aren't that many people in here right now to read them....grr....but, these things always suck me in! ;)

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 03:19 PM
GOT IT! Ronnie's her dad's twin, DUH! :D

Miss Z
12-02-2005, 03:21 PM
YAY YOU DID IT! i might post some more later tonight (yes it's night where i am) when there are more people on, but if not then tomorrow! see if anyone else can be as good as you!:)

Miss Z
12-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Actually, i'll post some more now! Can anyone else do as good as finn's mom?:)

1. Bob and Pete are in a pub. They order a pint of beer each and sit down facing each other. They both take a sip. Pete gets froth all over his lips but Bob's lips are clean. But then, Bob gets up to go and wipe his mouth. Why did he do this?

2. Bridget and Bernadette look identical.When Brian met them for the first time, he said, "You must be twins!" Bernadette smiled and said, "We both have the same parents and we were born on the exactly the same day, but we are not twins." How is this possible?

3. A woman has 7 children, and half of them are boys. Is this possible?
(note: this is slightly a trick question, but it does make sense!)

When someone gets these i'll post a mega-hard one!!! LOL:)

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm working on them, but, I don't want to post anything until others have seen this! :)

king2005
12-02-2005, 07:21 PM
#2. Same fathers, different mothers?

Karen
12-02-2005, 07:29 PM
#2 - Born the same day, different years, they're sisters.

#1 -Because after they each take their sip, Bob leans over and kisses Pete, so then has froth on his lip he needs to wipe off.

Karen
12-02-2005, 07:30 PM
#3 - One is a hermaphrodyte?

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 06:07 AM
Sorry none of them are right, but Karen was quite close with #1:)

vinjashira
12-03-2005, 06:22 AM
#2 if born on the same year.. they maybe triplets or quadruplets, and so on... not just twins

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 06:39 AM
Well done vinjashira, you're right!!!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/grinser/grinning-smiley-006.gif

finn's mom
12-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Does Bob wipe Pete's mouth off for him?

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 06:58 AM
no, but good try...:)

finn's mom
To the last question, are they all boys?

finn's mom
Bob has a moustache? :D :rolleyes: :o

finn's mom
12-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Did Bob drink out of Pete's mug?

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 07:02 AM
To the last question, are they all boys?

Yes!

he doesn't have a moustache and didn't drink from his mug, but keep trying, mega-hard puzzle(s) is/are looming ahead!!!!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/grinser/grinning-smiley-009.gif

finn's mom
12-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Yes!

he doesn't have a moustache and didn't drink from his mug, but keep trying, mega-hard puzzle(s) is/are looming ahead!!!!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/grinser/grinning-smiley-009.gif

Cool...and, dang it!! ;)

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 07:06 AM
In these questions, it always helps to read what is there carefully to get a picture of it in your mind, and then look for what's not there....:)

finn's mom
12-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Is Bob's beer flat? oh, man, i'm so digging here, ha ha...

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 07:12 AM
No, i'll give you a clue, it's to do with the way that they are sitting....

finn's mom
12-03-2005, 07:13 AM
No, i'll give you a clue, it's to do with the way that they are sitting....

I know, I keep saying that part over and over! Dang it.

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 07:16 AM
if you want the answer, just say and i'll post it, but you can still keep trying if you want!:D

finn's mom
12-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Does Bob assume he has froth on his mouth because Pete does? :D

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 07:24 AM
Yes you've got it! Well done!

Ok, as promised here is a hard one, if you get this then i will post an even harder one LOL

At the olympics, there was a 100m men's sprint final. Each finalist gave a statement after the race:
Argentina: I was not last
Brazil: Canada got the bronze medal
Canada: Argentina finished behind South Africa
Dominican Republic: South Africa got the silver medal
South Africa: The Dominican Republic didn't get gold
The problem is that the gold and silver medallists are lying. What is the order of the countries from 1st to 5th???

Good luck with this one!!!:)

finn's mom
12-03-2005, 08:28 AM
ok, check this out...i hope i'm at least close...

gold - south africa
silver - dominican republic
bronze - canada
4th - argentina
5th - brazil

please, please, please. ;)

finn's mom
12-03-2005, 08:29 AM
dang it, that's wrong. :( ha ha

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 08:30 AM
No, sorry. Good try:) this one is a killer, i'll admit! you've got two in the right place though!

finn's mom
12-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Ok, here I go...check this out...

gold - brazil
silver - dominican republic
bronze - south africa
4th - argentina
5th - canada

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 08:45 AM
You did it!!!!

Ok, here is a super-devil!!!

A man is in prison facing the death penalty for something that he didn't do. Because the judge, jury and police force are unsure about his innocence, they decide to let fate decide what happens to him. The man is placed in a room with 2 doors, each guarded by a guard. One door leads to the execution room, the other to freedom. The man is allowed to ask only one question to one of the guards to find out which door is which. However, one of the guards always tells the truth, whilst the other always lies. The man doesn't know which is which. What is the one question that he can ask to either of the guards to ensure that he goes free?

Ok, have fun!

finn's mom
12-03-2005, 08:47 AM
You did it!!!!

Ok, here is a super-devil!!!

A man is in prison facing the death penalty for something that he didn't do. Because the judge, jury and police force are unsure about his innocence, they decide to let fate decide what happens to him. The man is placed in a room with 2 doors, each guarded by a guard. One door leads to the execution room, the other to freedom. The man is allowed to ask only one question to one of the guards to find out which door is which. However, one of the guards always tells the truth, whilst the other always lies. The man doesn't know which is which. What is the one question that he can ask to either of the guards to ensure that he goes free?

Ok, have fun!

Forget you. ;) I'm leaving. Ha ha, seriously, though. I am not reading that today! I'm happy I got that olympic one, so, that's good enough for me. I'm heading out for the day, and, will be going out of town for the night...I'll be back tomorrow, though, and, if it's not answered, I'll read it and see if it'll blow my head up. :) I've had fun with them, though, so, thank you! But, for now, I'm going to walk my dog. That'll be easy! :)

Miss Z
12-03-2005, 09:01 AM
That's OK glad that you enjoyed them:D :D :D Have a good walk with your dog!

Almita
12-03-2005, 11:37 PM

i'm not good at this and i think um he can ask is.

Which door leads to freedom

if I get it wrong it's ok lol i'm not that good at these but it's worth a shot?! ;)

Soapets
12-04-2005, 02:08 AM
"Am I guilty?"

The one that tells a lie would tell him "Yes". He would choose the other door.

The one that tells the truth would tell him "No". He would choose that door.

Deb

Miss Z
12-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Sorry but they are both wrong, but Almita was very close with her answer!!!:D

lady_zana
12-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Is the lying guard guarding the door to freedom?

*crosses fingers* Oooh! - I hope I'm close! :p

Miss Z
12-04-2005, 03:29 AM
Sorry, the doors are unknown. When someone finds the answer or i give it, it doesn't actually matter which door is which!

lady_zana
12-04-2005, 09:45 AM
I'll give it another go! :D

Could he ask, "Will your room free a guilty man?"

Almita
12-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Yay i was close um let me think

He could ask: Are you leading the door to freedom?!

Miss Z
12-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Yay i was close um let me think

He could ask: Are you leading the door to freedom?!

Your even closer!!! But you just need to change the direction of the question....

Almita
12-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Your even closer!!! But you just need to change the direction of the question....

Umm let me think umm

Is this the door to freedom?!

Miss Z
12-04-2005, 01:05 PM
You were closer before!

Almita
12-04-2005, 01:09 PM
ok um

Does the door behind you lead to freedom?!

Soapets
12-04-2005, 04:43 PM
"Are you guarding the door to the execution room?"

OR

"Is the other guard standing in front of the door leading to my freedom?"

MariaM
12-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Darn!! We did one really similar to this in math class last year, it was about two guys and they were brothers, and one always lied and one didn't, and it was something about 2 paths in a road, and I remember getting the answer, but now I can't remember it, and I'm sure it would be really similar to this one!

Miss Z
12-05-2005, 01:11 AM
"Is the other guard standing in front of the door leading to my freedom?"

You're sooooooo very close! you just need to change the object slightly and explain your answer a little more... good luck:)

Almita
12-05-2005, 09:24 AM
is the front door that the guard is gurading lead to my freedom?!

Miss Z
12-05-2005, 12:47 PM
You are soooooooooo very close, it's just the opposite of freedom....

.sarah
12-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Oh, come on! I've been following this for over a day now! Just spit out the answer already!! :p

Miss Z
12-05-2005, 01:12 PM
OK, i've been itching to give the answer to with Almita being so close!!!

The man would ask, " If i were to ask the other guard which door led to the execution room, which one would he say?" Whatever the answer was, he would go through. If he asked the lying guard, the lying guard would know that the other guard would tell the truth about which door was which, but he would then lie about it. If he asked the truthful one, this guard would know that the other guard would lie about which door was which, and so he would tell the truth about this. So, all in all, whichever guard says is the door to the execution room, is actually the door to freedom!

Hope you get that, it is complicated!!!

Almita
12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
oooooooooooooooo i get it! I know i was so close!