PDA

View Full Version : Post-op

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Got my tape taken off yesterday - no stiches, just tape. Doc says everything looks good. We went over the pathology report and he said that there were several things going on. First of all, there was Hashimoto's Disease (http://www.4woman.gov/faq/hashimoto.htm) and here (http://familydoctor.org/548.xml) which he knew about. Well....if he knew about it, why didn't he tell me?! This was the first I had heard of such a disease.

Secondly, he said that it was just this side of malignant! The regular pathologist wanted a second opinion so "several people looked at it" and they all finally agreed that it was benign, but just barely! :eek: He also said he took the lymph nodes because they had biopsied (sp?) them on the spot and things were inconclusive, so they decided to be on the safe side and take them so if it was malignant it wouldn't spread any further. :eek:

He took the entire right thyroid and part of the left. They also biopsied the para-thyroids, but they must have been ok because they reattached those right away. He said chances are slim that the remaining part of the thyroid will cause a problem in the future. He said that had he had any doubt about that, he would have taken that too while he was in there.

So, it was kind of scary to hear how close it was to being cancer, but what a relief to know it's all gone and can't bother me anymore. I don't know if I mentioned this, but my mom said my great-grandmother died of thyroid cancer, so this definitely runs in the family.

I'm feeling great. I seem to have more energy and things like my allergies don't bother me as much. It seems like even though I was taking medication to keep my thyroid levels up, this was still dragging my body down and I feel much better overall, so I would say the surgery was one big success! :D

Oops, almost forgot. Here are two pics of my scar. Looks like somewhat slit my throat :eek: but maybe that's because he did! ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
12-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Good to see that you seem so upbeat! Hope things continue to improve

ramanth
12-02-2005, 10:23 AM
I bet that scar will heal nicely! The one on my foot is about that long and barely noticable.

How scary it was so close to malignant. The tumor on my foot was benign. Stoopid tumors.

Hope you heal up quick! *hugs*

Randi
12-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Debbie, this must have been scary, but I'm so glad to hear they got what was neccesary and you're safe now. :)

I'm sure your scar will heal up nicely, so keep your chin up! :)

Hugs!

kuhio98
12-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Debbie ~ I'm glad that the prognosis is good. As for the scar, I'm thinking a diamond choker for Christmas would be the way to go. :D There are scar creams on the market that promote faster healing and fading if it really bothers you.

Killearn Kitties
12-02-2005, 11:00 AM
That's great news that you feel more energetic already! I'm so glad you decided to have the surgery when you did. :)

Lobodeb
12-02-2005, 11:05 AM
What a roller coaster of emotions that visit must have been for you, good news, not so good news, close calls and everything! Jeepers!

I'm glad to hear through all of that, the end result was good and you're feeling better. My mom has a terrible thyroid condition, so I know how much it can drag you down.

Your scar should heal nicely too. A little cocoa butter ought to make it disappear in no time.

catnapper
12-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Wow, Debbie, glasd to hear everything is ok! How SCARY to hear how close to cancer you were. :eek:

{{{{HUGS}}}

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-02-2005, 11:08 AM
That is great news, Debbie!!

lv4dogs
12-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Glad to hear that everything is ok! :D

Donnaj4962
12-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Good thoughts coming your way that the scars will heal. I am glad that the news ended up being good.... but how scared you must have been. Keep healing!

Barbara
12-02-2005, 03:05 PM
What a beautifully healed scar in a beautiful swan neck ;)

Debbie I'm so glad it's over for you. So good that everything is removed. Having it in the family must really have been scary.

And good that it happens in winter- it will help that scar to be really thin and invisible after it's healed.

poofy
12-02-2005, 03:32 PM
sounds good, glad all is well, whew, just made it didnt you..smile..my mom had a scar just like that when they took hers out..they heal up good.. :)

RedHedd
12-02-2005, 03:51 PM
As for the scar, I'm thinking a diamond choker for Christmas would be the way to go. :D LOL! I was thinking the same thing! :D surgery is always scary, but I'm glad you had it done. Better to have those "almost" things removed so you can get on with your life and not worry about it.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-02-2005, 03:57 PM
As for the scar, I'm thinking a diamond choker for Christmas would be the way to go. :D

I like the way you think, Kuhio! :D Now if I can just convince Terry..... :rolleyes: :D

Thanks so much everyone. I'm not worried about the scar. My mom has one exactly like it from when she had her para-thyroid(s?) removed in 1986 - see, it does run in the family - and if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't even be able to see it. Her theory is that you can always tell how old someone is by the amount of scars on their body since she has this one, the one on her chest from by pass surgery, along with the one on her leg where they took the vein for her bypass and those made when she had surgery on her knee after their car accident. Gee, hope I never end up with that many. ;)

Thanks so much everyone. Hope Terry's in a good mood tonight - I feel like I dodged a bullet and I'm ready to celebrate! Hmmm.....maybe some shopping for a diamond choker...... :D

Cinder & Smoke
12-02-2005, 04:42 PM
I like the way you think, Kuhio! :D Now if I can just convince Terry ..... :rolleyes: :D

.... I'm ready to celebrate!
Hmmm ... maybe some shopping for a diamond choker ...... :D

Sillie you!
WHY didn't you ask the Doc for an Rx: One Diamond Choker
script while you were there!?

CONGRATS on the You're A-OK report!!

:D

Laura's Babies
12-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Gee! What a scar! Did they tell you to put vitamine E on it to help keep it from being so bad? You wouldn't believe what vitamine E cream is doing for Eddies burn scars.

I have a friend with that Hashimoto's disease and she is what you would call morbidly obese and can hardly walk due to her weight. It runs in her family she said.

I know how you feel about being that close to cancer... I had some colon polyups removed that were precancerous and that brings your mortality right home to you. THANK GOD for modern day medicine!

krazyaboutkatz
12-03-2005, 01:59 AM
Debbie, I'm glad to hear that you're doing well and will be fine. :) I also agree that a diamond necklace would be the perfect Christmas gift for you. ;)

smokey the elder
12-03-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm glad you're recovering well. If you want to talk, PM me. I've been battling thyroid trouble since 14 (no surgery yet, thanks to heaven.)