PDA

View Full Version : The story of Oreo

Cincy'sMom
04-01-2002, 07:40 PM
After spending Easter at my parents yesterday and seeing Oreo, I am feeling a little guilty about not talking about my first dog, so here, for those kind enough to listen, is the brief history, of Oreo...

When I was 14 years old, I REALLY wanted a puppy. My brother and sister, claim they didn't then, but I don't really remember. Anway, a friend of the family drove for UPS and told us about this cute puppy he saw on his route. She was a beagle poodle mix, and would be a small dog. We drove out to see her, and totally unprepared brought the little girl home. (we had to stop on the way home to buy food, crate, collar, leash, etc.)

Oreo was a quick learner. She quickly learned potty outside and how to get attention by tearing up newspapers. And she was a hungry puppy!!! She ate couches, carpet, curtains and tiys. If she found it, she destroyed it!!! See it turns out I wanted a puppy, but not the RESPONSIBILTY of a puppy.

The years went on a Oreo became a very independent dog. She stopped eating everything (for the most part) and learned to pass her time sitting on the back of the chair, watching out the patio door, barking at the goings on of the neighborhood.

Oreo endured a lot of changes...me going to college, my brother going to college and then..the invasion of another dog. First, it was just an occasionaly overnight visitor. Trent, was a lab mix that just kept getting bigger. She as glad he didn't stay!!! And then there was another visitor...Sadie! Another dog that just kept getting bigger! Thankfully she doesn't come around too much....

And then came Dazzi and 7 months later, Dazzi had been there everyday! The two had to estblish their territores, but now they are friends! For a dog that lived 12 years as an only dog, Oreo has adjusted so well. Dazzi and Oreo play tug of war, check on each other and even sleep in the same room. Sure, there is still occasional growling when one dog crosses the line, but for the first time since she was a puppy, Oreo is letting people hug her, and occasionally touch her feet. She is even starting to tolerate those large puppies Sadie and Cincy!

Oreo will be 13 in October and although she wasn't the best socilized dog, she is learning new tricks in her senior years. And she is still my puppy!

aly
04-01-2002, 07:58 PM
Awww, I'm glad you shared Oreo's story with us. She sounds so sweet. I have to ask if you have any pictures! A poodle/beagle mix sounds so interesting! I'd love to see her!!

Cincy'sMom
04-01-2002, 08:02 PM
I do have pictures, but not on the computer..I will try and get some scanned in and posted ASAP :)

sammi
04-01-2002, 09:58 PM
What a nice story to read before I go to bed. I bet Oreo is a great dog.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-01-2002, 10:17 PM
AWWWW that was a sweet happy story.......... I would love to see some pics of Oreo too!!!:D

jackiesdaisy1935
04-02-2002, 09:30 AM
Thanks for sharing Oreo's story. We never forget our first dog.
Actually at my age which is "older than coal" Daisy is my first dog.
When I was growing up they were my mother's dogs, then when I got married they were the kids dogs, finally it was my turn and my husband took me to pick out this little black scrawny Schnauzer (actually she was the last of the litter, because she has I don't know what they call it, her bottom teeth stick out further than the top) and she wasn't exactly a beauty. I fell in love with her, no matter what, I was taking her home. I did and I think she has turned out to be so beautiful and I love her with all of my heart. I named her Miss Daisy.
Jackie

anna_66
04-02-2002, 01:59 PM
Wonderful story of your Oreo. All our dogs deserve to have their equal time!

jennifert
04-02-2002, 02:23 PM
What a wonderful story about Oreo. It made me think of Bandit, the dog I had growing up. (He LOVED Oreos too!!) We had to put him to sleep and on the way to the hospital, we brought some along and fed them to him. What a sad sad day that was, more than words can say...

Thank you for sharing the story. :) It brought tears to my eyes and wonderful memories of my childhood dog to my heart.

LoudLou
04-02-2002, 02:28 PM
O-R-E-O, Oreo what a wonderful story! Cincy'sMom thanks for sharing her story. Hope maybe someday to see pictures.:D