PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what's happening - prayers please

Samantha Puppy
12-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Yesterday afternoon my heart began to race. I thought maybe it was from the Gatorade I drank so I mentioned it to the maternity triage nurse who did my non-stress test last night. She took my BP and it was 132/87 - which is in the normal range but extremely high for me (I am never over 102/65). She said that I was probably just nervous about the non-stress test but if it continued to call my doctor.

Well, it continued so this afternoon I called my OB who told me to call my GP. My GP wants me to come in this evening to see him. Not sure what will happen or what he wants to see or do, but on top of being nervous about my heart rate being so accelerated, I'm now also nervous about seeing him. I'm afraid he'll want me to go to the hospital or something like that. I know whatever happens, it's all in the best interest of the baby but my phobia of doctors and just about anything medical makes it a little more difficult to deal with.

If you guys could please think of me, hope for a non-invasive treatment, I'd appreciate it.

caseysmom
12-01-2005, 02:28 PM
How are your ankles? Is there any swelling? Maybe its just nerves...the big day is fast approaching...try to relax....

Samantha Puppy
12-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes, my ankles are swollen but I've had that issue for awhile - pre-pregnancy too. It's one of the reasons I went on the birth control pill "Yasmin". I don't know what started causing it (swollen ankles) but it began when I was about 22-23. My sodium intake's never been anything more than normal. My BP is always low. So when I realized I was pregnant and went off Yasmin, my ankles we swollen within a month and have stayed that way since.

I'm not so worried about that since it's something I've been dealing with pre-pregnant for a few years. What scares me is when I'm sitting at my desk, typing, and I check my heart rate and it's 124bpm. Normal, for a woman, is 75. It may be nerves, but I don't feel nervous about the next few weeks. If that's what this is, it's from my subconscious.

I don't know. I just don't like feeling like this - heart racing, short of breath. It's scary and I'm sure it's just making things worse...

caseysmom
12-01-2005, 02:41 PM
I don't know what it could be, hopefully its nothing, maybe you are having a little panic attack...no need for that...childbirth is a piece of cake...didn't feel a thing...hehe ;)

Lobodeb
12-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Good luck, Jaime.

FYI, I'm told (since I've had pregnancy induced high blood pressure from the start) that if you're nervous or stressed, only the top number will be high, not both.

Maybe it's just Nug's way of telling you he's ready.

Either way, prayers on the way.

Samantha Puppy
12-01-2005, 02:46 PM
I don't know what it could be, hopefully its nothing, maybe you are having a little panic attack...no need for that...childbirth is a piece of cake...didn't feel a thing...hehe ;)Uh huh. You're full of it. :P

Thanks for that info., Lobodeb. I'll ask my doctor about it tonight. I know that both numbers were definitely much higher than normal so if what you said is accurate, I wonder what it means...

finn's mom
12-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Wow, I hope it's nothing to worry about.

Husky_mom
12-01-2005, 03:07 PM
the same happened to me a couple weeks before my kid was born,(i always had low BP, but its normal since i never feel tired or anything) i didnt worried, but my inlaws made my hubby take me to the doc, and i was fine, so i just tought i might have been unconcious nervousness because i never was nervous, or maybe like they said it was just the baby giving me some advice he was coming soon ;)

dont worry, but DO check up since we all are different, but i hope its nothing.

JenBKR
12-01-2005, 03:14 PM
((hugs)) and prayers to you - I have a fear of doctors too (doctors, hospitals, needles, all of the above ;) ). Let us know what happens at the doctor's!

Anita Cholaine
12-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Hope it is nothing very serious... Sending lots of hugs and good thoughts for you. Good luck with the doctor, and keep us updated.....:)

Samantha Puppy
12-02-2005, 06:28 AM
He didn't hear anything physically wrong with me – no murmurs,
"clicks" or anything else that would lead him to believe I am
suffering from an actual heart issue. He took some blood last night
to see if I'm deficient in anything and should have the results back
this afternoon. He didn't say anything about limiting what I do but I
am just flat-out exhausted so I'm staying home today anyway.

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-02-2005, 06:35 AM
You are definately doing the right thing by " giving in" to the exhaustion and staying home today - your body is telling you that you need more rest and less stress!!!

Not sure what to suggest re the BP - at least the blood test will help to rule out any causes other than nervousness or stress. My next door neighbour HATES doctors, so whenever she goes to the Doc her BP is sky-high, but when we test it at home it is normal. Maybe you are just more apprehansive about the delivery and Nug's arrival than you realise?

(((HUGS)))

Pawsitive Thinking
12-02-2005, 06:52 AM
My BP went sky high before I had Katie. Try to keep relaxed and concentrate on the day you meet little Nug for the first time. Will be checking in on you from time to time xxx

Daisy and Delilah
12-02-2005, 07:04 AM
Thoughts and prayers are coming to you and Nug from Florida Jaime :) Try to stay calm and rested if possible. I know it's not easy. :)

Laura's Babies
12-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Could be anxiety. My sisters heart use to race away and she would get light headed, get sick at the stomach and she would go to ER and by the time her turn would come up to see a doctor, she would have been feeling fine and went home. One time they took her right in and everything was out of wack. They could find no reason why all that was going on and I told her to tell her doctor I thought she was having anxiety attacks... That was when I was living with her and soon as I would leave to go to work on the boat, she would have one.. She never had one when I was at home. Our Mama was dying of cancer at the time and she was left alone to take care of her while I was gone. They put her on anti anxiety meds and she hasn't had them anymore.

Having had them myself, I know how weired they make you feel and at first, they scare you to death because you don't know what it happening to you. I also know the fear of giving birth and could see how that would cause anxiety if you already have a phobia with seeing doctors. Just try your best to relax (easy to say, huh?)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Glad to hear the doc didn't find anything serious. Staying home and staying calm is definitely the right thing right now. Since he didn't say to take anything for the BP, I would try to stay away from things that raise it, such as caffeine, sodium, etc. Relax, breathe deep, clear your mind and oooohhhmmmmm....oooohhhhmmmmm......oooohhhhmmmmm.. .... ;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-02-2005, 11:16 AM
If the doc didn't find anything unusual, try to relax as much as possible. Sleep and rest whenever your body tell you to!
Few more days, and little nug will be right there, in your arms :)

Samantha Puppy
12-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like I needed the sleep - it's 1pm and I just woke up. :eek:

Lobodeb
12-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Glad you're feeling better!

Good morning, err afternoon, sunshine!

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like I needed the sleep - it's 1pm and I just woke up. :eek:

Hey, me too! Glad to hear that the doctor found nothing too serious!

pitc9
12-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Glad to hear nothing was wrong!
Good to hear you caught up on your sleep!!

Karen
12-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Yup, Nug was prompting you to get some sleep while you can ...

Glad it was nothing worrisome, and that you and Nug are okay.