PDA

View Full Version : Mailing advice for everyone

Lady's Human
12-01-2005, 02:22 PM
When I'm not wearing a green suit (which, thankfully after two plus years of active duty has been more frequent lately) I work for the US Postal Service. Lately, when working on the machinery that sorts the mail, I've been finding things in the machines that should not have gotten there in the first place. Coins, necklaces, candy, you name it. The USPS does a lousy job of communicating with our customers, so I figured I could assist and explain a few things to PTers, mainly what should and shouldn't be mailed in an envelope, and some packing suggestions.

Many people put things into envelopes and them stamp or write "Hand sort", or "Do Not bend" on the envelope. That doesn't work. The last time a human handles your letter is when the carrier picks it up from the mailbox. After that, all handling is done by machine. If you put statements like that on the envelope it does no good.

Things that seem to fit in envelopes do not work well at all in the First Class mailstream. Anything that causes a bulge in the envelope (Coins, necklaces, candy, you name it, I've seen it) will be ripped out by the machinery when it goes through the pinch points on the machines. This is not intentional, it's just the way it happens. The machinery that handles First Class mail (the mail you send with a $.37 stamp) is made to handle letters. Flat envelopes with paper inside. Not flat letters with something inside wrapped in paper. If you put something in an envelope, (i.e. coins, jewelry) you not only stand a good chance of losing what you mailed, but the ensuing machine malfunction will also tear up the mail around your letter.

If you need to mail a necklace, coins, or other small items, there are mailers available (normally at the local post office) which will ensure that they get to their destination safely. Pictures will normally do quite well in a normal envelope, but if you are nervous about putting it in the regular mail, just put it in a large manila envelope and it will get handled by much gentler machines.

CD's and DVD's do not do well as a First Class Mailpiece. There are mailers available for those items as well.

If you are mailing a parcel, please make sure there is PLENTY of padding around the item(s). Bubble wrap is cheap, lightweight, and easy to use, and the Post Office charges for parcel shipping by weight, not volume. Newspaper works, but should not be used as the sole packing filler. Take what you think is the appropriate size box, go up one size, and fill the rest of the box with packing of some kind. You will be much happier in the end.

I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'd rather have your mail get to its destination than have to clean it out of a machine in pieces.

Jessika
12-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah I'd always heard that and that's why I NEVER put stuff like that in envelopes. I'd rather pay the extra... dollar, or whatever, to get a better suited envelope to make sure it gets to its destination and in one piece!

momoffuzzyfaces
12-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the tips!
I have some packages I need to get in the mail soon.
One thing I've used as packing is shredded paper. I get different colored typing paper and shred it with my shredder. It looks like a party in the box! :D

Oh, yes, MAIL EARLY everyone! :D

I don't work for the post office, I just use it a lot! ;) :D

RICHARD
12-01-2005, 03:14 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/277/4100/400/20stamp450.jpg

:confused: :D ;)

moosmom
12-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Lady's Human,

Thanks for the tip!! I mail out catnip to alot of people on this site and thought that by putting it in an envelope marked "Fresh dried catnip enclosed" would help. Any thoughts on that??

buckner
12-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks for these tips! :D

I do have a question, maybe you can answer it. I'm sending a boxed package to another state (I live in Kentucky, and I'm sending to Pennsylvania). To ensure that it gets there in time for Christmas, what's the last possible date that I need to get it out? It'll be relatively small, but still a box of some sort. Just wondering if you knew how fast/slow the United States Postal Service was this season. :)

Thanks!

poofy
12-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks so much.. :)

Karen
12-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Donna, was the catnip loose in the envelope, or how was it packaged within the envelope?

It's worth reminding people that, if they're packing anything breakable, remember that the box is going the be moved and rattled a whole lot of different ways, so just using something like wrapping it in newspaper or papertowel doesn't really do anything. I had to resend a part of a gift swap once because I did that instead of using bubblewrap and peanuts, and the dog's dish broke in transport.

QueenScoopalot
12-01-2005, 05:59 PM
My hubby also works on machinery at the P.O and it never ceases to amaze him what people will send. Chocolate bars...great fun when those go through the machines.. instant hot fudge! And pens by the dozens, often sent out by companies. :rolleyes: I have sent gift cards in the past, and knowing the pressure those machines can exert, I always put them into a card first. ;)

Lady's Human
12-01-2005, 06:48 PM
MM,

It all depends on how oyu package the Catnip. If it's in something like a ziploc bag, then the recipient is probably going to get an envelope full of loose catnip. If you used the puffy envelopes it would probably be fine, as that mail gets run on different machines. (though marking it as catnip would probably get around any scrutiny you might get for mailing small envelopes of dried leaves...LOL)

Buckner,

If you want it to get there before Christmas, give the package a MINIMUM of a week. You should be well within the three-four day zone, but I'd check with the clerk when you bring the box to the PO.

QS,

All I have to say about pens, mini calendars, magnets, etc. is I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES! They seems to be the worst offenders, other than our own Bulk Mail acceptance people. Chocolate isn't the worst thing I've had to clean out of a machine by a longshot.

Cataholic
12-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Hmmm...is there a difference between 'hand sorting' and 'hand cancelling'? I swear I have had special things 'hand cancelled', and spared the trauma of going through the machine. I had my brother's wedding invitation specially postmarked the day he got married, and returned to me that moment. Then, I had some different shaped envelopes 'hand cancelled', again, not going through the machine.

And, I guess my luck at sending things in an envelope is good! While I can't confess to sending a chocolate bar, I have sent some other items in an envelope! :o

Lady's Human
12-01-2005, 08:00 PM
It is possible to get an item hand cancelled, however that requires going to the PO and seeing the clerk in person. Most of the time people don't do that.

As far as the "different shaped" envelopes, those don't go through the machines. The machinery only handles "normal" envelopes. round, oval, etc envelopes don't run through the machinery. A while ago there was a group that was determined to cause the PO as much grief as possible by mailing things in wierd containers to defeat the machinery.
Haven't heard from them lately, but I'm sure they're still trying :rolleyes:

catnapper
12-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Yikes, I mailed a few CDs yesterday in a greeting card envelope :o I hope they get there ok.

My hubby used to work for the post office, but he never told me any of the interesting things they found in the machines... I'll have to ask him!

cyber-sibes
12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
good tips, thanks!

sandragonfly
12-01-2005, 08:56 PM
other 'machiner' reading here.. :D

actually, few years ago I volunteered there (about four months) but it was fun for a while. you get to see so many different kind of (decorative/colorful) envelopes and see withhere, which states they will go .. you have to be so quick!

one time, oh my, I felt bad! there was a cute little envelope drew full of crayons.. it (the wax) got smudged and ruined the kid's drawing. :( well, not too bad but I liked it better before it went through the machine! :eek: guess kid had coats, coats of crayons on it - I wanted to write a note for this kid's and his family who colored the envelope and explain but their policy.. :rolleyes:

lady's human.. thank god me in my bubble wrap, wrapped by you is too big for the machine so you can't send me off to anywhere! :eek: :o :D ;) ;)

Lady's Human
11-29-2006, 01:14 PM
bump

KYS
11-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Lady's Human, I think I might have blown it?
Yesterday I mailed out a T-Shirt folded in a Big Manila Envelope,
Approx. 10x13 to England via Air mail. (no padding just put it in a plastic bag)
Do you think it will be ok?

Blue_Frog
11-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Lady's Human,

Thanks for the tip!! I mail out catnip to alot of people on this site and thought that by putting it in an envelope marked "Fresh dried catnip enclosed" would help. Any thoughts on that??

Sorry, the first thing I thought when I read this was "Yeah, the catnip will be OK until the day that they exchange the Drug-Sniffing-Dogs for Drug-Sniffing-Cats". And then I had to picture what a drug sniffing cat would do and ended up in a fit of giggles.

It's been a long day, and I think my last brain cells have finally died :D