PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's advent calender ready?

Miss Z
11-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Yay! Advent calenders start tomorrow!:D i bought one from Lapland when we went there on holiday in January that is just a picture one but is really nice, but i've got a chocolate one aswell. We also have a little advent tree that has little drawers underneath it and each day you open a drawer and hang the decoration in the drawer on the tree! Christmas is coming:) :) :) !

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/weihnachten/xmas-smiley-045.gif

Do you have yours?:)

ramanth
11-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Never personally bought one as I don't celebrate Christmas, but I do see the appeal in them.

We have one here at work and everyone gets to open one of the little windows. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-30-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm Catholic so I should know this, but what exactly is advent? :confused: :o

Kfamr
11-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Debbie, I believe she's talking about those candy calendars, where there's a little "window/door" in a box with a piece of chocolate, a picture, or something in each one, counting down to Christmas.

My neighbor used to get them for me when I was younger.

carole
11-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Even though Melissa is 13 she still loves her advent calendar, I have a felt one I bought on sale two years ago, it has a pretty nativity scene on top and little material pockets , I put little chocolate santas, ladybugs and chocolate gold coins in each one, nearer the end towards xmas I usually put some real money in it for her or some little gifts like jewellery or something along those lines, she still gets a kick out of it, Guess she will still be having one in her twenties lol. :D

Cataholic
11-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Lillycat bought me a lovely felt one several years ago. It WILL be already, when tomorrow comes!

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-30-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm Catholic so I should know this, but what exactly is advent? :confused: :o

That is how the 4 weeks before Christmas are called here. I think you call those "lent"?

Edwina's Secretary
11-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Lent is the 40 days before Easter....an advent calendar has the 24 days before Christmas....but now I'm rally stretching here....Advent is the four Sundays before Christmas (I remember an Advent wreath that had four candles...three purple and one pink or was it three pink and one purple?)

I decided to cheat....

Advent is the period preceding the Christmas season. It begins on the Sunday nearest November 30, the feast day of St. Andrew the Apostle, and covers four Sundays. Because the day it begins changes from year to year, so does the length of each Advent season. In 2005, Advent begins on November 27.

The word advent, from Latin, means "the coming." For centuries, Advent has been a time of spiritual reflection as well as cheer and anticipation. Even as the Christmas season has become more secular—with advertisers urging holiday gift-givers to buy and buy some more—Advent still brings joy and the observance of ancient customs. Christian families find quiet moments lighting candles in the Advent wreath, and children use Advent calendars to count the days until Christmas.

elizabethann
11-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Have you seen the pet ones? Each day has a treat for your pet. It's cool.

I have one for myself that I use every year. I just keep opening up the same doors & windows.

:)

Suki Wingy
11-30-2005, 03:54 PM
yep, we got ours in a german deli. We have to go to the german fest to get some Printen cookies!

caseysmom
11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
My neighbor got my daughters one every year and didn't get her one last year, she got her feelings hurt so this year I am going to go out and buy her one, even though she is 13 she still enjoys it.

carole
11-30-2005, 07:13 PM
He He Johanna , :D Melissa has already started her's, we are a day ahead here remember.

Karen
11-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Advent is the period leading up to Christmas, as was posted. There are 4 outer and one inner candle on the Advent Wreath - we lit the first of the three purple ones on Sunday at church. The candles represent, let's see,
Week 1: Hope (purple candle)
Week 2: Peace (purple candle)
Week 3: Joy (pink candle)
Week 4: Love (purple candle)

Then on Christmas the middle big white candle appears and is lit, representing Christ, of course!

Advent calendars usually just include the December days leading up to Christmas, but Advent usually starts in November, depending on what day of the week December 25th falls.

Suki Wingy
11-30-2005, 10:38 PM
I never knew that! I am not really religious, but I had one when I was little with a small wooden thing to paint in each, but I opened them by day and painted them the rest of a few years. I have a mallard duck painted nicley that says To Eva Love Dad 1991 on the back so that will always bring me very warm memmories.

Corinna
11-30-2005, 11:14 PM
My pregnet 24 year old daughter asked to day if I was getting her advent calendar this year. I guess I'm looking for one tomorrow.

Uabassoon
12-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Better late than never, Alexa and I got our calenders today.