PDA

View Full Version : Surprise, Surprise..

Jessika
11-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Now before I get into my story I would like to say I would appreciate it if you all wouldn't preach to me to get her spayed, because it is on my list of priorities, but due to certain circumstances now and in the past few months has not been possible, but it WILL be done. :)

---

So I woke up this morning and Jamie has started to go in heat. Or rather, she is bleeding so she isn't in the 'heat' phase yet if I read correctly. It wasn't bleeding a lot at first and she was doing good with cleaning herself then throughout the morning its progressively bleeding a little more heavily or she's just getting lazy and hasn't been cleaning herself. I don't know. In any case, I have her outside right now because really she's allowed up on the bed and couch and I don't want to get anything on them.. I've already had to clean up a few spots on the carpet. I don't want to keep her outside though either since its not COLD today but its definitely not warm. And I WILL NOT keep her outside over night since it has been dropping below freezing and not only that but I just won't do it.

I know they make diapers for this time of the 'year' (haha) but I'm afraid she won't keep it on. During the daytime its not so much of a problem since I can monitor her and make sure it stays on. But its while I'm sleeping that is going to worry me. Jamie and Charlie both sleep with us up on the bed at night and I don't want her getting it loose or whatever and me waking up to find a nice mess on the bed...

And no, I don't have a crate or that would have been my option. :)

So any thoughts or suggestions, or if any of you have had dogs her size/breed go into heat before, what are your experiences, and if you've used diapers also do you find they try to take them off???

ramanth
11-30-2005, 12:16 PM
I would say try the diaper. If she tries to take it off, then put a cone on her. She won't look very attractive but it'll do the trick. I'm not sure of the area you are in, but don't leave her outside unattended. If there are any stray unneutered males, well.... I'm sure you can figure out what'll happen.

And don't under estimate the determination of a male. I've seen dogs climb fences to get at a female in heat.

Jessika
11-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Ohh I know. She's outside on the tie-out right now, and I can see her from where I'm sitting (I'm like, four feet from the front door) and I've been watching her like a hawk. :)

Thanks I'll look into it :)

beeniesmom
11-30-2005, 12:25 PM
I thought that Beenie would pull the diaper off but she didn't.
She has now been spayed so we don't have that issue anymore.
As for sleeping in the bed, it's still possible.
Just put a towel in between you and hubby and put her diaper on anyway. She may get out of it but the towel will protect the bed from unwanted stains. :P
I wouldn't keep her ouside though... Probably be better for her to be closed in the bathroom with her bed until you get diapers and put a thick towel on her bed. Male dogs can get pretty aggressive when they want a female. You or her could get bitten in a confrontation.

beeniesmom
11-30-2005, 12:27 PM
:o embarrassing info to talk about...
but before I could get her the diapers... I used an underwear of mine and a pad and she kept it on... :o

Jessika
11-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Oh I know, but trust me, its more cruel to keep her in my tiny poor-excuse for a bathroom than tying her up outside. :( This is only the first day, and the only time I'm going to have her outside unless she has to potty. Maybe the bathroom is an idea for while we're not at home or something though.. I don't know. I've had to do it with Charlie before when he had diarrhea so its not all THAT bad I suppose.

Does anyone know if Walmart carries them?? For some reason I doubt it.. but that's the only place even remotely near us (except for Petsmart 45 minutes away) that carries pet items. :(

Thanks though so far you guys have been a big help! ♥♥♥

EDIT: omg I hadn't even thought about that!! If worse comes to worse that's something I will have to take into consideration... embarassing as it may be. THANKS haha

beeniesmom
11-30-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't remember seeing them at Walmart.
I got Beenies at Petsmart... an hour from me too. :(
How big is she in lbs.
I still have Beenie's contraption thingie. You just change the pads twice a day.
I could mail you hers if you think it would fit.

lv4dogs
11-30-2005, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't leave her outside alone, a male dog can smell a female dog in heat for miles!! And some male dogs are pretty focused on getting to the source. Thats how a LOT of accidental litters happen. All it takes is just a few minutes. Some male dogs can even smell it through the house so don't be surprised if you have any males on your porch waiting for her to come outside. But when they are bleeding *most* females will not allow a male to mate with her, BUT I have heard about some females that will and even female dogs that have got raped. Yes it can happen to dogs too.

She will be in heat for about 3 weeks (even if there is no bleeding). And any reputable vet will not spay her while she's in heat so no one should even pester you about that as it's too late now, nothing can be done until she comes out of heat.

Other than crating her or using a diaper I don't know to tell you. You may just have to buy a diaper & see how she acts with it on & hopes she behaves during the night.

Good luck!

lv4dogs
11-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Ohh I know. She's outside on the tie-out right now, and I can see her from where I'm sitting (I'm like, four feet from the front door) and I've been watching her like a hawk. :)

Thanks I'll look into it :)

I know you know but all it takes is a few seconds. You take a trip to the fridge to bathroom & boom she can be hooked by a male.

JenBKR
11-30-2005, 12:42 PM
I have seen them at Walmart before, but I think they only had one brand. I would imagine that would work...this may sound stupid, but if they don't have any at WalMart maybe you could buy depends until you can get to Petsmart :D

Jessika
11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
But she isn't in the phase where she would let a male mount her first off and secondly she isn't in the ovulation phase, so she couldn't get pregnant. :o Correct me if I'm wrong, and yes I know males can "rape" her. And I know I should NEVER assume but I'm in an area where there are hardly any stray dogs and the members here have brains enough to either keep them leashed or indoors. Though as I said I should never assume and ANYthing could happen. It's just I DO NOT have a lot of options. If I did, she wouldn't be out there right now. The furniture in here IS NOT mine, its our landlord's. And not only that, but we are in the process of getting ready to move in the next two weeks, so I can't really risk anything right now.

I'm not sure of her weight in pounds, she hasn't been weighed in awhile. Though I think its safe to say she's around 40 pounds, as its average for dogs of her age/breed.

thanks guys

EDIT: Depends, hmm, that's also a good idea I wouldn't have otherwise thought of. Thanks! :D

beeniesmom
11-30-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure of her weight in pounds, she hasn't been weighed in awhile. Though I think its safe to say she's around 40 pounds, as its average for dogs of her age/breed.

No, it's too small. Beenie is 20 lbs. :( sorry.

lv4dogs
11-30-2005, 12:50 PM
But she isn't in the phase where she would let a male mount her first off and secondly she isn't in the ovulation phase, so she couldn't get pregnant. :o Correct me if I'm wrong, and yes I know males can "rape" her. And I know I should NEVER assume but I'm in an area where there are hardly any stray dogs and the members here have brains enough to either keep them leashed or indoors. Though as I said I should never assume and ANYthing could happen. It's just I DO NOT have a lot of options. If I did, she wouldn't be out there right now. The furniture in here IS NOT mine, its our landlord's. And not only that, but we are in the process of getting ready to move in the next two weeks, so I can't really risk anything right now.

No she *shouldn't* allow a male dog to mate her but that doesn't mean it can't happen. And she *probably* isn't in the ovulation phase either... but not all dogs bleed for the entire time they are supposed to. Each dog is different so ya never know. I know it's something that I wouldn't chance no matter what the odds are.

And although your neighbors are good about keeping their dogs confined again you just never know. One may get loose by accident or something. And I have actually seen dogs, even well behaved dogs go through house windows, chew tie outs, jump fences, & the such to get a female in heat. Male dogs go to extremes to get a female in heat.

Jessika
11-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Well its only the first day so I think its safe to assume she isn't in the ovulation phase yet. REGARDLESS that does not mean that I shouldn't take all the precautions, you are entirely correct. But as I said, for this point in time (and probably ONLY for today and *I* don't even like the thought of her being outside, whether I'm keeping an eye on her, or not) its my only option. Someone mentioned putting her in the bathroom but my bathroom is so small it would almost be cruel (but, still an option nontheless). I may consider the bathroom here in another hour or so if I can't come up with a better temporary solution (I DID like the pad and old pair of panties idea... :D)

No, it's too small. Beenie is 20 lbs. :( sorry.

That's all right, its the thought that counts, and thank you anyway!! :)

EDIT: This is breaking my heart, I brought her inside and put her in the bathroom, and she's in there crying. :( The poor girl. She even tried doing 'bow' multiple times (if you've read my other thread you'd know the frustrations I had with trying to teach that one!!) to show me she's a good girl and why did I put her in the bathroom?? :( :(

My only concern is her scratching the door or eating the shower mat, haha.

Kfamr
11-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Do you have a crate, a x-pen, something? Is Charlie fixed?

Honestly, I think she'll survive a while in the restroom until you figure out something. It's a lot better than bringing puppies into the world!

Jessika
11-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Oh yes yes yes Charlie is fixed, thank God. I would NEVER have an unfixed male AND female together in the house. :o Though he was fixed before I even got Jamie. I was told it was high-priority to have him fixed since he had retained testicles.

But yes she's stopped whining for now which is good I suppose. It's ME who has to get over it, LOL

And no I have no crate, or anything. Even if I did, my place is so.. SMALL.. there would be nowhere to put it except right smack in the middle of the living room, and that would probably take up all the room, sadly. :(

Kfamr
11-30-2005, 01:47 PM
If it really hurts YOU that much ( ;) ) then you can always try Carmen's idea of panties and pads, in the bathroom before inside the whole house.

You could also try it and keep her on a leash with the panties/pad contraption so she will be by your side at all times. I know when Nala had her HotSpot and she was itching at it, I kept her on a leash a large part of the time to keep her from scratching at it. It may be miserable to see, but atleast she's safe, your carpets/furniture is safe, and she can atleast be with you.

At night I think i'd keep her in the bathroom. You could always put everything (shower curtain, rug, etc) out of her reach. Do you have a kong or any sort of food ball... you could leave her with something to keep her occupied until she falls asleep.

Just think how relieved you'll be when she's spayed! :p ;)

areias
11-30-2005, 05:20 PM
I have used Depends for my dogs incontinence. Works great :)

areias
11-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Oh and if it dosen't stay on-duct tape fixes everything. :p

Jessika
11-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Oh kmafr the leash thing is a great idea, now why didn't I think of that?? I always suggest it to everyone else, but go figure I wouldn't think to do it myself! LOL

And thanks I think I might go with the depends idea since as of right now its really the only source I have (as I said, walmart is the closest thing, the nearest pet store is 45 minutes away!). I'll have HJ stop by on his way home from work tonight and pick some up.. boy I'm sure he'll feel akward haha

LuvGold00
11-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Those doggie dypers are a wonderful thing! We use them here all the time, you can't get them at WalMart, they are usually only as pet shops. You can order them online from www.petedge.com. I've used the depends before, but didn't have very good luck, my dogs liked to eat and pull at them much more than the fabric doggie dypers.

Good Luck!

k9krazee
11-30-2005, 05:45 PM
When Mini went into heat we bought one of the doggie diaper things and it worked for the first day. During the night she chewed it all up. We ended up just using human underwear and it worked much much better.

Vette
11-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Do you have any tile floors or linoleium(SP?) floors?
when Muffin came into heat,, we tyed her up in the kitchen which has a linoleum floor. and most of the walls and cabnits were coverd with wallpaper. so it was fairly easy to wipe any messies.

then we'd mop with hot soapy water on any of the walls and the floor in there and sprinkle that stuff that makes your carpets smell good thast supposed to get rid of pet oders in any of the carpted ares after she was out of heat.

Jessika
11-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Nope, the only linoleum we have is the bathroom. When I say my place is small, I mean small. EVERYTHING is in one room lol. But its not a studio lol. Its soooo tiny in here. And the bathroom is maybe 4 x 5, including the shower and toilet. So not much room to lock her up in, and I feel horrible for doing so. :(

.sarah
11-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Nope, the only linoleum we have is the bathroom. When I say my place is small, I mean [i]small[/b]. EVERYTHING is in one room lol. But its not a studio lol. Its soooo tiny in here. And the bathroom is maybe 4 x 5, including the shower and toilet. So not much room to lock her up in, and I feel horrible for doing so. :(
But it's probably about the size of a crate where there is flooring, right? And putting a dog in a crate isn't cruel. I mean, you could put her bed in the bath tub at night time and she could sleep in there, and then put a water bowl out on the linoleum.

Jessika
11-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Hey, yeah, that's an awfully good point. I just suppose I'd thought that locking a dog in a room versus a crate where they can actually see what's going on, etc, was a tad bit more 'cruel' in my book in a sense. Then again since I've never had a crate I wouldn't have known to compare lol anyway thanks, I don't feel AS horrible about it now, maybe we'll set camp up there for her overnight ;)

CagneyDog
11-30-2005, 08:27 PM
I like the bed in the bath tub idea. She'll probably not be too pleased about it at first but it's not awful, and it's only temporary. Make sure she doesn't hurt herself getting in and out though.

haha, when Cagney was sick my parents insisted that he stayed in the bathroom so I set up a bed for myself in the tub so I could be with him :p :eek:

Jessika
11-30-2005, 08:36 PM
LOL I don't have a tub though, only a stand-up shower. But I suppose tossing in an old blanket or a few towels on one side would work fine. :)

.sarah
11-30-2005, 08:38 PM
That's probably even better, then, because she won't hurt herself getting in and out.

And you're welcome. I can be a genius sometimes :D ;) :p

Jessika
12-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I wanted to thank whoever suggested the depends. They worked fine overnight! Though sometimes she would push them to the side to clean herself (which was GOOD - I WANTED her to clean herself), she kept them on overnight and I didn't even have to put her in the bathroom.

Though I have noticed she is SO much more lovable and snuggly now that this has been going on. More with HJ though than with me. It's so adorable. She HAD to sleep between us last night, or up by HJ's chest and watching TV she slowly crawled up in his lap, and just LAYED there. It was so adorable. It's a shame I'm going to get her fixed because she's so cute right now LOL

JenBKR
12-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Yay glad it worked :) How sweet, she's being all lovable - hate for it to end! ;)

Jessika
12-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Oh I know, right?? LOL

Anyway boy doesn't she look happy???

http://www.dont-stay.com/off/Img_8442.jpg

Kfamr
12-01-2005, 05:35 PM
But it will certainly be a lot safer and healthier for her. :D

areias
12-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Aww, that picture is too hilarious!

JenBKR
12-02-2005, 08:04 AM
LOL she looks THRILLED! At least it's working though ;)

Jessika
12-02-2005, 12:23 PM
LOL she looks THRILLED! At least it's working though ;)

Haha doesn't she??? Hehe.

And yes it is working, a LOT better than I'd thought it would, too. AND she's keeping it on with NO problems now!! :o At first she was walking bow legged and crouched to the ground acting miserable like "this.. thing.. weighs... a.. TONNNNNN!!!" but after a few "no's" she hasn't touched it since!

Now Charlie, on the other hand, sees this as opportunity to try to drag her around the house.. haha

finn's mom
12-02-2005, 12:39 PM
You can always order the dog pads online if you needed to. :) And, I wouldn't think it would take too long...but, I'm not sure, I've never ordered from them. That picture is great!

Suki Wingy
12-02-2005, 04:02 PM
glad it is working!
And I have the opposite problem, closest petsmart is 3 miles away, closest walmart is 30 minute drive away!

dab_20
12-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Well I am glad you found something that worked. When Molli went into her first heat about a month ago, she kept herself clean. Although I coulden't let her be on my lap because she woulden't lick herself then! lol wonder why

lute
12-02-2005, 05:02 PM
defianatly keep an eye on her! neighborhood dogs seemed to pop out of nowhere when Gracie got her first heat.

when she was in the house i used a pair of little boys underwear. they have the little slit for her tail.

Vette
12-02-2005, 07:16 PM
When I say my place is small, I mean small

I know the feeling. we dont have a very big 'house' either.
we dont really have a house that normal people have.

our house is actually made up of two trailors,, and RV. and we just enclosed them to make a 'house'. LOL

we moved up here in the RV.. and the trailors we later on.