PDA

View Full Version : What type?

Lando
04-01-2002, 01:07 PM
I am wondering, what is the best type of breed for a house cat?

AmberLee
04-01-2002, 01:19 PM
:D :eek: :rolleyes: I could be wrong, but I think you're going to get a ton of different opinions on this one! ;) Just bet we all think our cat's breed is the perfect one! (Though I am partial to one that has been rescued, myself...)

Heather Wallace
04-01-2002, 01:32 PM
To be honest ( hope this doesn't sound bad) but I don't think that cats really like to be inside all of the time. I know when my cats where in doors all of the time they hated it. But for the past 2 yrs they have being going out and they are much happier with that option.

Anyway i don't think there is a breed that is best for indoors they are all the same.

I agree with Amberlee that you are better to get a rescue cat, one that is in great need on a nice owner like you.

luvdemabys
04-01-2002, 05:44 PM
When we got our first Abyssinian, we started keeping our furkids indoors. The two strays who were in our household and had been indoor-outdoor cats weren't crazy about it, but as time went on seemed reconciled. For some years we have had ALL Abys, who have never known any other way. A couple of years ago, a couple of them came out on the patio, then stepped into the back yard, saw all the vast open space and sky...and could'nt get back indoors fast enough! I think, if you have a fairly large space, and/or companion cats, indoors is fine. And it's saved us those awful sleepless nights when the cat doesn't come home to sleep and all you can think of are ornery dogs and speeding cars.

Former User
04-02-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Heather Wallace
To be honest ( hope this doesn't sound bad) but I don't think that cats really like to be inside all of the time.

Casper and Kitty are inside ALL THE TIME! They don't have a desire to go outside, and they don't even have a change to go there. I rather keep them inside than find them dead next to the road....

yumyum6970
04-02-2002, 06:35 AM
I agree with Heather Wallace...My little Yum Yum loves going outside. I wanted her to stay inside though but everytime we would open the front door she would race outside. So we just let her go out and she is very happy. Although I believe she now would be an outside cat all the time if she didn't want to be held and cuddled some, and something to eat. :)

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

wayne0214
04-02-2002, 06:41 PM
Lando, did you see my PM to you?

To answer your question, much depends on the personality of the cat rather than the breed. If you want a specific breed that likes to be inside, may I suggest a male Abyssinian cat. But most any other breed may also enjoy being indoors most of the time, but it depends on the personality of the cat. It is very difficult to determine which cat will be happy being an only indoor pet. Unless, of course, you obtain a cat that has been raised indoors and still has that trait. But as has been mentioned, most cats prefer to be allowed outdoors during the day. Otherwise they can get destructive and cause much trouble by forcing them to stay inside. This has been my experience with them.:)

.............wayne

wolflady
04-02-2002, 06:50 PM
I'm in the same boat as AmberLee. I'm partial to rescued cats as well. Most cats in my family have been rescued from the street and have no desire to go out. But, I'm sure just about any cat would be fine. I do have to agree with wayne also in that it really would have more to do with the purrsonality rather than breed.
The nice thing about rescues, is you can find out a cat's background, likes and dislikes. So, I'm sure you could find the purrfect housecat for you!:D

Karen
04-02-2002, 07:30 PM
A rescued, neutered cat! Any size, shape, color - just a grateful sweetheart that needs you! :)

Logan
04-02-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Karen
A rescued, neutered cat! Any size, shape, color - just a grateful sweetheart that needs you! :)

Exactly, Karen!!!! Indoors only or indoor/outdoor, depending on your situation, one that needs you will always repay the kindness. Heck, even my Butter is beginning to do that!! :D :D

purrley
04-03-2002, 06:50 AM
Karen's got it!!! Any kind, shape, breed, color, purrsonality - they're all good house cats:) :)