PDA

View Full Version : PSP tutorial for cat eyes

Laura's Babies
11-29-2005, 07:05 PM
I have been playing around trying to get rid of that glowing eye thing when I take pictures of my babies. What few times I have tried it, it made their eyes look worse so I have been researching that and found this tutorial. I haven't tried it yet but here is how you do it for those of you with PSP...

http://www.khiba.com/PSP/Fall03Viewlets/91103CatEye.html

Jessika
11-29-2005, 07:08 PM
All I get is a blank screen :(

I need a good tutorial for dog eyes though! :)

EDIT: Oh nope, after refreshing like ten times I finally see just a loading bar, lol

Laura's Babies
11-29-2005, 10:17 PM
It is like a video and takes time to load but it is VERY easy to do and I saw what I have been doing wrong. I would think this is a basic tutorial and could be applied for dogs too, easy enough.

I haven't been selecting a color for the whole eye, just doing the black part and that didn't look right.. Now I (hopefully) can do it right.

Kfamr
11-29-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm too impatient for the tutorial to load, but PSP has a red-eye removal option.

Just go to Effects >> Enhance Photo >> Red-eye Removal.

They have different options, Animal Eyes, Humane Eyes, Freehand Pupil Outline, and Point-to-point Pupil Outline. I always used the Freehand Pupil Outline. After you've got the pupil covered, mess with the pupil lightness, Glint Size/Lightness, Feather, and Blur.

I have mine set on the following and they almost ALWAYS turn out good looking.

Pupil Lightness = 0
Glint Lightness = 100
Glint Size = 4
Feather = 8
Blur = 0

When you're doing it you may want to change around the settings to fit your specific camera qualities, etc.

(This may only be good for PSP 7 and may only work for dogs. Cats eyes seem to mess up quite a bit more than dogs in pictures, weird!)

Laura's Babies
11-29-2005, 11:04 PM
This tutorial shows you how to color the WHOLE eye first... blue for blue eyes cats, gold for gold eyes and such, then how to do the pupil and add part of the eyelid.. It is really neat! Well worth the wait for me to see how it is done.

Kfamr
11-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Yeah, It loaded after I had typed that out. I knew how to do that before but i've never had to do it with dog's eyes. It's interesting how differently animal's eyes come out with pictures!

AlleyCat
11-29-2005, 11:15 PM
This may sound lengthy, but this is what I've done -- this only works on neutral eyes, though. In the case of my Cleo who has grey eyes, this works wonders: I take my elliptical tool and encircle both red eyes as accurately as I can, and then "copy" and paste it into a new file -- I grayscale this file, and then copy and paste it back. I don't use PSP, but Photoshop, so I'm not sure if this works the same. And if I don't de-select the original selection I encircled, when I paste it back, it pastes right into that selection. Generally, pupils are a dark color and this works really well. Cleo is forever showing up in my photos with red eyes, yet for all the photos I've posted of her -- you can't tell that I modified her eyes using this grayscale option. I find that trying to re-color often loses a lot of the natural shine that eyes have, so what I've been doing has much better results. See here for examples of Cleo's eyes that I've modified:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=90788&highlight=cleo

Laura's Babies
11-30-2005, 08:48 AM
OK, I can NOT tell which ones you fixed! I want to be that good at it! You have mastered the eyes, I am just beginning.. I have had PSP for so long and am just now learning how to do stuff with it. There is so much to learn with that program. Since cats are my most photographed thing, I needed to learn how to do the eyes correctly!

Jessika
11-30-2005, 09:35 AM
I'm too impatient for the tutorial to load, but PSP has a red-eye removal option.

Just go to Effects >> Enhance Photo >> Red-eye Removal.

They have different options, Animal Eyes, Humane Eyes, Freehand Pupil Outline, and Point-to-point Pupil Outline. I always used the Freehand Pupil Outline. After you've got the pupil covered, mess with the pupil lightness, Glint Size/Lightness, Feather, and Blur.

I have mine set on the following and they almost ALWAYS turn out good looking.

Pupil Lightness = 0
Glint Lightness = 100
Glint Size = 4
Feather = 8
Blur = 0

When you're doing it you may want to change around the settings to fit your specific camera qualities, etc.

(This may only be good for PSP 7 and may only work for dogs. Cats eyes seem to mess up quite a bit more than dogs in pictures, weird!)

Yeah I've tried this and they always look like crap. LOL

I'll try the settings you put but I have a feeling mine are close, if not identical.