PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy gift... or not?

Kfamr
11-29-2005, 05:32 PM
My sister is closing on her very first house December 15th.

I know there are quite a few walls she wants painted in her new home and there's some things she wants to do with it. I know she can't afford to do it all right away.
I was thinking of getting her a Wal-Mart or Home Depot card for $100 as a Christmas Gift. I'm leaning more towards Wal-Mart as she can buy paint as well as other home essentials there.

I plan on making/drawing her something as well. She's always liked my drawings/crafts/etc.

What do you all think? :o

Flatcoatluver
11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I think thats a great gift, I always love gift certificates, and specially sinc she is buying a new home she need that kind of stuff!

jackie
11-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Gift certificates are always great, much better then buying something they may never use!

gemini9961
11-29-2005, 05:38 PM
That is a great gift for a new homeowner. She can put it to good use for sure.

Samantha Puppy
11-29-2005, 05:39 PM
I think it sounds like a great idea, but I'd suggest an actual home improvement place over Wal-Mart. The quality of paint is actually different and you'd be shocked to find out exactly what kind of things you can buy in a Lowe's or Home Depot that you never thought about. My brother asked for ideas for gifts for Josh and I and I actually said a gift card to Lowe's would be awesome. We want to paint, switch out faucets in the kitchen and numerous bathrooms, get new towel racks, new lighting fixtures, you name it... I definitely think it's a great gift, but I would definitely suggest a home improvement store over a Wal-Mart type place.

Just my $.02.

caseysmom
11-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Thats a great idea.

Christiansmommy
11-29-2005, 06:03 PM
I have to agree, I would pick Home Depot or Lowes over Walmart. I do shop at Walmart allll the time, but their paint quailty is no good, IMO. I have used their paint and Home Depot is much better. You could always do $50 Walmart, $50 Home Depot too, and add a note inside saying you will help her paint a room when needed :) . I love gift cards to Home Depot, I can always find stuff there I need/want.

Cookiebaker
11-29-2005, 06:23 PM
I have to agree, I would pick Home Depot or Lowes over Walmart. I do shop at Walmart allll the time, but their paint quailty is no good, IMO. I have used their paint and Home Depot is much better. You could always do $50 Walmart, $50 Home Depot too, and add a note inside saying you will help her paint a room when needed :) . I love gift cards to Home Depot, I can always find stuff there I need/want.

This is exactly what I was gonna say :) I know that when we bought our new house, suddenly home improvement became not boring ideas, but a passion and pasttime! :o I'm sure your sister will love the paint idea! :)

.sarah
11-29-2005, 06:24 PM
I too would be wary of the paint at Wal-Mart. Personally, I think a new home owner could go right through $100 at Lowes, especially if there are a lot of walls to paint. Paint can be expensive.

I think I'd go with Lowes.

cyber-sibes
11-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Are you kidding? $100 gift certificate for a home improvement store sounds like a fabulous gift to a homeowner! (I agree, better quality at Home Depot or Lowe's or whatever you have around) plus a drawing or project from you will be a treasured gift for their new home!

Laura's Babies
11-29-2005, 06:32 PM
One time I got one of those form emails that people pass around and one of the questions was if you could have a gist card for $1000 from the store of your choice, which store would it be.. I said Home Depo. Days ;later I told Marie about it and made the comment "Just THINK what you could do with a $1000 gift card from Home depo!" I got a gfit card from there that Christmas... not for $1000 though, but I did get enough to get the cabinet for my fabric that I wanted.

poofy
11-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Home Depot for the home for sure..great idea.. :D

slleipnir
11-29-2005, 07:51 PM
I think she would really love it :) Anyone would, I think!

catnapper
11-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Definately a great gift idea... and definately NOT Wal Mart. She'll be living at Home Depot or Lowes - trust me! :D

Corinna
11-30-2005, 12:10 AM
Sounds like both ideas are great .

elizabethann
11-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Cheesy? I think it's an awesome idea!

Kfamr
11-30-2005, 07:41 AM
The thing is, I know she shops at Wal-Mart a lot. Maybe i'll just get her a few different Gift Cards. There aren't many Lowes around this area (that I know of), however there is a Home Depot or two.

About helping her paint, I'm sure it'll happen wether or not I bring up the offer. :p

elizabethann
11-30-2005, 07:45 AM
What about an American Express gift card? You can use it anywhere credit cards are taken and American Express is taken almost everywhere. Just a thought.

:)

Kfamr
11-30-2005, 07:58 AM
What about an American Express gift card? You can use it anywhere credit cards are taken and American Express is taken almost everywhere. Just a thought.

:)

I wasn't aware you could get those! I could just tell her my intent was for her to get something nice for her house. She's really excited about getting her first home, as anyone would be.

Do you know where i'd be able to get one?

elizabethann
11-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Go to this link:

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/page/0,1641,24903,00.asp?referrer=ushome&section=cardnav

You may have to just copy & paste it into your browser.

Samantha Puppy
11-30-2005, 08:45 AM
The American Express gift card is a great idea BUT if you end up opting for an actual store card, I'd still suggest Home Depot over Wal-Mart. I shop at Wal-Mart regularly too but for all my home improvement stuff, I go to Lowe's or Home Depot.

Great idea, Kay - and if you're giving these things out, I'll take one too! ;)

ramanth
11-30-2005, 08:55 AM
I think that's a great idea! Andy's brother just bought a home and we plan to give him gift cards for Home Depot. :)

JenBKR
11-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Great idea! When we first bought our house we went to Lowe's and Home Depot every weekend! We still go alot, there are always projects that we are working on. She's love it :)

Cinder & Smoke
11-30-2005, 09:12 AM
Go with the Home Depot card rather than the WalMart card ...

She may shop at WalMart NOW; but after she gets the House -
she'll find a lot more "house stuff" with a better selection at Home Depot!

BEWARE the American Express cards!
* They charge "extra" to buy the card = it costs YOU a few dollars MORE than it's
actually worth to your sister;
* After 12 months; the American Express card *looses* $2.00 a month in value!

A Home Depot card only costs what it's worth - there's no "fee" to buy it.
A Home Depot card has no "expiration" or monthly fee - Sis can hold onto it as
long as she wants to and it won't loose any of its value.

/s/ Phred

anna_66
11-30-2005, 10:23 AM
I love gift cards so personally I think either is a good idea! I'm sure she's going to love it!

beeniesmom
11-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Congratulations to your sister!
I think a gift card is a great idea. I'd go with a HOME DEPOT card.
When we closed on out first house, we went to Home Depot and/or Lowes every weekend for house stuff! It's surprising what a new home needs once you move in: blinds, ceiling fans, rugs etc etc.... :)
I wish someone had given us a gift card for Home Depot or Lowes ... :o

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-30-2005, 11:57 AM

I'd go with the Home Depot card over an American Express. I'm somewhat prejudiced against AE because of all the fees they charge so take this with a grain of salt.

Last time I looked into American Express gift cards - they cost to get one! This, admittedly, was about a year ago or so and things may have changed in the meantime, but why pay for a gift card when you can get them for free at specific stores? I don't remember the details on paying, but read all the fine print carefully because it may be that the user (your sister) would pay a small percentage on each purchase instead of you paying up front. Like I say, I don't remember details exactly, but I remember something to this effect.

I agree that once she buys the house she will be a regular at Home Depot, but if you're unsure, maybe get her $50.00 at Home Depot and $50.00 at Wal-Mart?

Oh, and Kay, if you're going to be marrying Johanna, can I be your sister for awhile? I'd LOVE a gift certificate to Home Depot as an x-mas present! :D

kuhio98
11-30-2005, 12:03 PM
I think gift certificates are a great idea. I would much rather get one than a present I don't want or need and have to stand in line for hours to return.

Cataholic
11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Kay- I will take a combo wedding and Christmas gift card from Home Depot, AND your offer to paint, AND a picture from you. Thanks! :D

Samantha Puppy
11-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Kay- I will take a combo wedding and Christmas gift card from Home Depot, AND your offer to paint, AND a picture from you. Thanks! :D
Me too, since you're Nug's honorary Aunt!!! ;)

Kfamr
11-30-2005, 02:12 PM
I will be starting two new jobs tomorrow so that I can pay for all of your gifts. And in return, you each will adopt me another dog.

Thank You.

Samantha Puppy
11-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Eh, how about a kitty? I'll ship Maya down to you for nothing! :D

Kfamr
11-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Eh, how about a kitty? I'll ship Maya down to you for nothing! :D

Simba wouldn't like that. :p How about Samantha instead?
Or Boscoe... He's just begging to be renamed to Mufasa or Kovu, and with those markings he'd fit right in!
http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/FL93/FL93.1247138-1-x.jpg

Samantha Puppy
11-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Simba wouldn't like that. :p How about Samantha instead?
Or Boscoe... He's just begging to be renamed to Mufasa or Kovu, and with those markings he'd fit right in!
http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/FL93/FL93.1247138-1-x.jpg
No way, Samantha is non-negotiable!

Oh Kay, Boscoe is adorable. If I had the money, I'd get him for you in a heartbeat.

sandragonfly
11-30-2005, 07:40 PM
hm, lowe's best I think! (more choices of colors) if she's gonna paint. khol's is nice too, any in her area?

gift certificates are always nice because we hardly know their exact preferences!