PDA

View Full Version : Houston, Nug has a birthday!!

Samantha Puppy
11-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Hello All!

One very happy Samantha Puppy here. I just got back from the OBGYN. I am in week 36 so today begins weekly appointments (with internal exams at each one, joy and rapture). As of right now, I am 1 cm dialated and 70% effaced. But even cooler is that she scheduled us for an induction. So unless dear Nugget decides he wants to be born even earlier, we will be having our baby on... <drumroll please!> December 21st!!!

I am so freakin' psyched - that's only THREE WEEKS from TOMORROW!!!!

JenBKR
11-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Yea congrats! It'll be hard to wait those three weeks though ;) Can't wait for nug's arrival!

Daisy and Delilah
11-29-2005, 04:29 PM
:) :) :) :d :) :) :)

Lobodeb
11-29-2005, 04:32 PM
How nice to have a date! (Unless he decides to come early, that is.) Is Nug putting on more weight now? I know you were concerned.

Suki Wingy
11-29-2005, 04:37 PM
CONGRATS! That is Oslo's birthday! He'll be one.

Samantha Puppy
11-29-2005, 04:49 PM
How nice to have a date! (Unless he decides to come early, that is.) Is Nug putting on more weight now? I know you were concerned.
Well, we had a sonogram on November 7th and one yesterday (the 28th). In 3 weeks, he gained approximately a pound so he's now around 4.5 lbs. If we allow him to cook another 2-3 weeks, I'm assuming he'll gain approximately another pound which will put him right around the same size Josh and I both were when we were born. I'm not so worried anymore!! :)

Lobodeb
11-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Sooooooooooooo glad to hear that he's growing. :D

Samantha Puppy
11-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Sooooooooooooo glad to hear that he's growing. :D
Me too, but he's still in such a 'low' percentile compared to "normal" babies, I don't feel like anyone's listening to me (the sonographers) when I tell them how small Josh and I were at birth. All they see is percentiles that other babies are/should be in at this stage in the game and compare him to them. He's small, yes, but not abnormally so. The fundal height should be within 2 cms (or whatever measurement they use) of your gestational week. Last week, at week 35, he measured 33. THAT'S NORMAL!!! And Josh and I are tiny people! This baby was never destined to be gargantuan! I've found that that is the most frustrating thing to deal with now... along with the morons who look at me and say "You don't look pregnant at all!" or "You look like you're maybe 5 months along - not 9!" I'M EXACTLY THE SIZE I'M SUPPOSED TO BE!!!! :mad:

Lobodeb
11-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Perhaps you'll appreciate his smaller (yet normal) frame during delivery. I was just measured yesterday and my little one came in weighing 5 lbs. 6 oz. I'll be 36 weeks in Friday. I weighed 8 lbs. 4 oz and my hubby weighed 8 lbs. 6 oz.

I look like I swallowed a basketball. There is a small part of me that's hoping for a c-section.

Samantha Puppy
11-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah, that's what the doctor said. While we were in the exam, Josh asked how long I'd be in the hospital and I said depending on the time of day I have him I'd be out on the 23rd as I get 48 hours in the hospital for a vaginal delivery. Then I added "Or I'll be out on Christmas Day if I have a c-section." The doctor started laughing and said "Not with this little guy! Are you nuts?" hehe

I know I've said this before, but I was 5 lbs. 4 oz. at birth (one week early) and Josh was 5 lbs. 9 oz. at birth (two days late). I'm now 5'2" and Josh is around 5'5" or 5'6". We're tiny people. Our kids will be tiny. My dad always said that if Josh and I got married (we started dating in '95 when we were 17), we'd have puppies because they'd be so small. Looks like Dad knew what was going on all along! ;)

Lobodeb
11-29-2005, 05:24 PM
My dad always said that if Josh and I got married (we started dating in '95 when we were 17), we'd have puppies because they'd be so small. Looks like Dad knew what was going on all along! ;)

LOL!!!! Don't you hate it when they're right? ;)

CountryWolf07
11-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Awww. :) Congrats!

I know that my kids would probably be small if I have them.

Christiansmommy
11-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah, that's what the doctor said. While we were in the exam, Josh asked how long I'd be in the hospital and I said depending on the time of day I have him I'd be out on the 23rd as I get 48 hours in the hospital for a vaginal delivery. Then I added "Or I'll be out on Christmas Day if I have a c-section." The doctor started laughing and said "Not with this little guy! Are you nuts?" hehe

I know I've said this before, but I was 5 lbs. 4 oz. at birth (one week early) and Josh was 5 lbs. 9 oz. at birth (two days late). I'm now 5'2" and Josh is around 5'5" or 5'6". We're tiny people. Our kids will be tiny. My dad always said that if Josh and I got married (we started dating in '95 when we were 17), we'd have puppies because they'd be so small. Looks like Dad knew what was going on all along! ;)

Christian was 5 lbs. 4 ounces at birth ( 9 days early). I was 5 lbs. 10 ounces. I am still small...5'2". Christian is now in the 75% for height and weight...so the size at birth really doesnt indicate the size as they mature. The only thing with having a baby so small...is they usually lose a few ounces before they return home, so with Christian, he ended up being 5 pounds 2 ounces the day we were going to take him home, and so we had to bring in his carseat and have him hooked up to monitors to simulate a car ride, to make sure he would be okay going home from the hospital, apparently they have a rule that if they don't pass that test ( being so little), then an ambulance would have brought him home ( which would have been no big deal). ANyway, that was the way our hospital worked, yours could be different.

Anyway, very happy for you...can't wait to see pics of the baby.

k9krazee
11-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Thats great!!! :D

prechrswife
11-29-2005, 06:54 PM
How exciting!!! We'll be seeing pictures of Nug here before you know it! :D

poofy
11-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Wont be long now..cant wait :)

carole
11-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Another little saggi on the way, now make it the 20th if you like , thats my birthday, here's to the safe arrival of little nugg., not long to go now, you must be ever so excited. ;)

finn's mom
11-30-2005, 03:33 AM
Wow! How cool! :) Can't wait to see who's in there! :)

Pawsitive Thinking
11-30-2005, 07:00 AM
How exciting! Can't wait to meet the little guy.......(my work mate's birthday is 21 December and he suggests Tom as a great name....- here we go again!)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-30-2005, 10:45 AM
How exciting for you and Josh! It's getting so close!!! A new baby for Christmas, what better present to get. :D

I do have a question though, and please don't feel like it's a negative one at all, I'm just confused since I've never had kids or know anybody in person who has had one lately.

Ok, my question is, it seems to be such a common things these days to induce labor - why? What's wrong with just letting nature take its course and let him come out when he's good and ready to make his appearance? I can see in a medical emergency way where an induction would be good, but it seems - besides a few blips here and there - you've had a relatively good healthy pregnancy, so why induce labor? Just curious because this seems to be a fairly recent trend in having babies. I never heard of it until people here on PT started having so many babies. ;) :D

Cataholic
11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Yippee! The BEST Christmas present EVER and it will be EARLY! :)

Samantha Puppy
11-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Ok, my question is, it seems to be such a common things these days to induce labor - why? What's wrong with just letting nature take its course and let him come out when he's good and ready to make his appearance? I can see in a medical emergency way where an induction would be good, but it seems - besides a few blips here and there - you've had a relatively good healthy pregnancy, so why induce labor? Just curious because this seems to be a fairly recent trend in having babies. I never heard of it until people here on PT started having so many babies. ;) :D
I don't know about other people, I can only answer for my own particular situation. And in my case, there actually is a reason.

The umbilical cord is supposed to have 3 vessels in it - 2 from mother to baby and 1 from baby to mother. Mine only has 2 vessels - 1 from me to Nug, 1 from Nug to me. The bigger he gets, the more the placenta is struggling to give him everything he needs, so by inducing labor and having him born a little early he will come out and get the proper nourishment he needs on the outside because I can't provide it anymore.

Felix
11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
I wish i get a present like that this year ;) Congrats,cant wait to see pictures :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-30-2005, 12:01 PM
I don't know about other people, I can only answer for my own particular situation. And in my case, there actually is a reason.

The umbilical cord is supposed to have 3 vessels in it - 2 from mother to baby and 1 from baby to mother. Mine only has 2 vessels - 1 from me to Nug, 1 from Nug to me. The bigger he gets, the more the placenta is struggling to give him everything he needs, so by inducing labor and having him born a little early he will come out and get the proper nourishment he needs on the outside because I can't provide it anymore.

Ahhh...so there is a medical reason. Then it all makes much more sense. Thanks and I hope only the best for you and Nug! :D

PS - how is he ever going to be able to explain "Nug" to his friends? ;) :D

Samantha Puppy
11-30-2005, 12:14 PM
Yup. My guess is that most inductions actually have medical reasons behind it though some don't and I'm sure that percentage is getting larger.