PDA

View Full Version : Pranks to pull at work (ones that won't get you into too much trouble)

Cataholic
11-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Caseys mom has led me to create another lovely thread. I was thinking of pulling a prank on my friend (though that status might change) upon her return from maternity leave. I might get a remote control whoopie cushion.....really, I don't know if I will, as that is pretty outrageous, even for me.

So, let's talk about pranks you have pulled on your co-workers. Nothing discriminatory, please. I mean good old fashioned funny.....

This was one of my funniest (and one that did NOT get me in hot water- I swear, the law needs to lighten up a little).

When one of the new attorneys started working here, my friend was his secretary. I knew she would be nervous about things for awhile. So, with his knowledge, I had him call her on our inner office phone thing (you don't dial out, you just pick up and push a button...you know). I asked him to pretend to have a sensitive issue to talk to her about. The only 'problem' was, I taped her phone receiver jack thing down. So, she could only hear him over the speaker...because when she picked up the head set, which would normally switch off the speaker, the little button thing stayed taped down. So, anyhow, he is talking to her about work performance issues, phony, and said, "Tina, would you please take me off speaker?" acting all annoyed with her...and she was so flustered, and it wouldn't go off speaker, and I was standing right next to her desk acting like, "lord, I can't believe he is getting mad at you already". Of course, I started crying funny tears, he started roaring over the speaker, and she tried to HIT ME! Lord. It makes me laugh all over again. Needless to say, I have taped her phone down, and everyone elses, many times over.

Why don't they learn!!!

So, besides work and earn your keep, what have YOU done?

caseysmom
11-29-2005, 01:55 PM
I have dont the phone taping down one lots of times too.

Once I taped a big phony spider under a coworkers desk, it was years ago when I worked in a help desk so we could all see each other. She scooted in under the desk and felt something, the spider "jumped out on her" She stood up screaming her head off and started crying. :o

Cataholic
11-29-2005, 01:57 PM
CM- OMG! That is hilarious! There was one girl here I could have done that to. Sadly, she left. She still insists that on her first day here I taped a thumbtack to her chair. I so did NOT do that....

We did trick her into believing we stored files in our utility closet, she went partially in and we tried to close the door on her. LOL. If you can't laugh at work, stay home.

caseysmom
11-29-2005, 01:59 PM
This is right up my alley I have another one.

We had a new person on the job and it was thursday, she was very sweet and very nervous. I said " have you run the critical thursday programs?" she said no I haven't, my boss was in on it. I said we need to go talk to the boss about this, this should have been run hours ago. The boss sets her down at the desk and tells her the program to go into, she says now go onto line 70 and key in " this is a joke we are messing with you", it still took her a few minutes! I am so mean but it was so funny. We were friends before all this otherwise I would have never done that....we remained friends thank goodness.

Cataholic
11-29-2005, 02:03 PM
That would be a good one.

I have a couple of friends that call up and ask for me, and tell the receptionist that they are Judge so and so's bailiff, and why wasn't I present in the courtroom for some argument. Gets my heart racing every time. :o

ramanth
11-29-2005, 02:07 PM
I haven't done anything here other than bring Litterbox cake in and I think that's prank enough. ;)

However, a few friends of mine have worked for Microsoft and some of the pranks they have pulled are hilarious.

Once while one guy was on vacation, they totally repainted his office and decorated it to look like the football team he hated the most. The rivals to his favorite team.

Another time and a different person, they filled his office full of packing peanuts all the way to the ceiling!

caseysmom
11-29-2005, 02:08 PM
I thought of another one:

I use to work on swing shift, there were 3 shifts and there always had to be coverage. The whole crew decided on april 1 to meet in a far away break room and we would all call in sick. The boss was a nervous nellie...he went out and yelled at dayshift that nobody was leaving because all of swingshift was sick, he finally found us and by then he was redfaced and worked up quite a bit.

We tried that one a few years later but by then we had voicemail, before each of our voices saying we were sick was the name of the persons office we were calling from, that boss came knocking on that door we were all busted...we forgot voicemail preceded your message with the person's name you are calling from.

poofy
11-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Oh my those are so funny, wish there was some one here to pull a prank on..the only one I did,
I called a brother that had ignored me for years..
I said "Is this Mr Roy Boyd"
He said "Yes it is"
I said "Do you have a sister..Patsy Wilson."
He said "Yes I do"
I said.."Im sorry to inform you she died this morning"
well theslience on the other end was like death..I finally cracked up laughing,,and he said ..Pat that was not funny..and has been upset with me evey since..ummm, he didnt even recoginse my voice..lol..not a good joke I guess..lol.. :)

Kfamr
11-29-2005, 02:12 PM
One of our on-going tricks, working at a chicken place, is hiding a rubber chicken on eachother. There's days where I find it in the soup pot (with no soup of course), in boxes of stuff that I need in the morning, etc..

My boss had my dad bring it home once and hid it in the shower for my mom in the morning. In return, my mom has his wife pack it in his suitecase when they went on vacation.

That chicken has traveled all around the country, every place in our store, and back!

I'm thinking of buying this for my boss for our Christmas party... our chicken needs a girlfriend!

http://www.ryanspet.com/ryanspet/images/large/CPP79888S.jpg

ramanth
11-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Okay, not work related, but cracks me up everytime. My mom once threw an (unplugged) hairdryer in the shower when my dad was in it. Mom said he nearly tore down the shower curtain trying to get out. :eek: :D

caseysmom
11-29-2005, 02:20 PM
I have asked my kids to hit the switch on the garbage disposer for me then I scream my head off like my hand was in there :eek:

Prairie Purrs
11-29-2005, 02:23 PM
My sister has pulled some classics over the years. When she was in high school she super-glued the school librarian's telephone and receiver together. It was one of those big, old-fashioned phones. Phone rang, and the poor librarian nearly knocked herself out.

Once sis somehow rigged a co-worker's computer so that when the co-worker tried to sign onto the Internet, her phone rang instead. The co-worker kept answering the phone, finding no one there, and couldn't figure out why she couldn't get online.

neko1
11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
OMG this thread is so funny!!! Keep em' coming :D

I needed the laughs today :D :D :D

Cookiebaker
11-29-2005, 02:59 PM
One of my co-workers took a kid's watch (on the hour it would play a little tune, and say it is now four o'clock, five o'clock etc) and hid it in one of the partitions. The watch was about 5 hours off, and REALLY annoying. At 2:20 it would say "the time is now 6:00".

The problem was, you could only hear the watch for about 10 seconds and then it was in oblivion. It took us about 3 weeks to find that stupid thing, and it was a good laugh afterwards. :D

GRRRRrrrr!

Barbara
11-29-2005, 03:11 PM
I got one of these funny mails you forward and it was about "The diary of an IT responsible" and had lots of fun stuff what that IT guy did to make life difficult for his co-workers. I forwarded it to our own IT guy- saying like "What I always wanted to know about your job...." and he forwarded it to his boss saying: We've got a problem here, Barbara got access to my confident diaries. I want to talk to you about what we can do against it." Well his boss didn't read the entire mail but he really called immediately, wanted to talk to the IT guy and was ready to make a big big fuzz :D :D :D

DJFyrewolf36
11-29-2005, 04:05 PM
At my dad's work, one of his buddies went over to the print shop and got bags upon bags of hole punchouts (those little things that get caught by a three hole punch) and filled his bosses office with them. The boss opened his door, looked in, shut it and told the secretary he was going home sick lol.

Prairie Purrs
11-29-2005, 04:09 PM
I've always wanted to try this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/april-fools-cubicle-web.jpg

Samantha Puppy
11-29-2005, 04:14 PM
When my brother-in-law also worked at my office, we created an eviction notice and put it on our boss' office door. We meant for the boss to find it but one of our coworkers did and called our boss at 11pm at night (and the VP of the company). hehe Thankfully, the boss and VP had a sense of humor about the whole thing and we didn't get in trouble for it. Our coworker was a bit of a moron - the notice was on plain white paper (not letterhead from the landlord) AND it wasn't on the main office door but one specific office door within the office. Doof.

A few weeks later, I laid down on the floor in said boss' office and my brother-in-law taped around me (with masking tape) so it looked like a chalk outline of a body at a crime scene. That was hilarious. :)

Donnaj4962
11-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Several years ago, the office I worked in was decorating for Halloween. However, one of our co-workers wasn't there, so I took advantage of her absenteeism by taping a little black plastic spider to the voice piece part of her phone. The next day when she went to answer the phone for the first time, she screamed and fell over backwards in her chair! Of course, myself and the others in the office simply went on about our work! Poor thing! She didn't hurt herself, and laughed about it later in the day.

Another time, same office, which was a Manpower (temporary work) office. Our summer helper and the other three of us in the office were talking about some work related things (imagine that, talking about work related things at work! :D ) and the phone rang. The summer helper answered, "Thank you for calling Wal-Mart!" and of course we all burst out laughing and she just looked at us with this "WHAT?" look on her face! She then realized what she had done and of course had trouble directing the call! After it was all over, she said, "I have no idea why I said that. I don't even need to go to Wal-Mart!" It was hysterical because she just said it as if she REALLY was answering the phone for Wal-Mart.

And one more.... sorry!

Years ago, I worked at the local Girl Scout summer camp between semesters at college. One summer, we decided that everytime another staff member had an evening off, we would "rearrange" their belongings! Staff members would come back to camp to find their car in the horse pasture (that one was for the camp director!), or their bunk, bedding and all on the roof of their unit shelter house, or their clothes would be found spread along a path to another unit! That was so much fun, trying to decide what to move each week! Sometimes staff members would refuse to take their alloted time off for fear of where they would find their things when the returned!

That's all I can remember now. Sorry this one is so long! Hope you enjoyed!

Cincy'sMom
11-29-2005, 08:37 PM
These are great!! Bringing back some of the fun I had co-oping in Arizona...ah college days!!

I worked at a Semiconductor fab in the engineering department with a great group. We were always looking for ways to get each other. ...paging one girl, just cause she had her pager on vibrate and would scream everytime it went off, panging another engineer away from lunch and replacing his food with kids plastic food while he was away...rubber band fights over the cubicle walls...wrtiting an Standard Operating Procedure for building a potato gun. One of my favorites was writing weekly reports. We would add in stupid stuff about each other, like "Angela doesn't play nice with others and needs to go to a finishing school". One time one of the guys added a statement about being trapped in a room with smelly vendors for hours. And on and on about their hygene. Well, it was a habit of managers to cut and paste the weeklies into their report, and on up the ladder. That paragraph went all the way up to a VP!!! More then just our department got a good laugh out of that one!!

More recently, we filled my friend's car with balloons for her 30th. She had to pop enough to drive home, and left the rest! Would have like to see her driving downthe interstate with a car full of balloons!!

Laura's Babies
11-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Some of the deckhands on the river (the ones that have been there awhile) will pull pranks on one another. Their favorite is to put saran wrap in the shower head so no water will come out.. They do this to the ones that don't bathe often to see how long it takes for him to complaine he has no water in his shower.

One fella super glued the bathroom door to the Butt Hole Captain's room shut just to watch him rant. Another time they poured the sugar out of the sugar bowl and put a napking in it so it looked like it had sugar in it.... to watch him rant. (It was one of those you pick up and turn upside down to pour)

A Captain I know set this up with styrafoam cups.. Take the second cup from the top and punch a hole in the bottom. Invite someone to have coffee with you and pour yourself a cup, picking it off of the stack, pour the victim a cup and tell them to come fix their coffee. Go on about your business while their coffee drips all over them..

Deckhands have to wear gloves out on tow when messing with those big wires that hold the barges together. They take food coloring and drip some down in those gloves when the victim is off watch and it has time to dry.. Once they get wet, that food coloring stains their hands and they can't get it off for days.. (I saw that one pulled and it made me mad!)

I have also head of them doing that to shampoo... food coloring in the bottle of shampoo that stains the hair and head when they use it.

We had one young fella that had worked for a cell phone company and he unlocked another guys phone, using knolage that only the cell phone people have and put a different code in it so the guy couldn't use his cell phone.

I have one of those fake hands that looks real and I have played a lot of pranks with that. OOooooo, the fun I have had with that!

slick
11-30-2005, 10:38 AM
My boss and I pulled one on each other......can't post it here....

...it involves a black male blowup doll.... :eek: :D :D

Cataholic
11-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Lordie these are funny ones! What great ideas for the New Year.

LB- I did that one with the cups at the water cooler. Most of the crew knew about it, except for the supervisor. I nearly peed myself, of course, instantly giving myself away. (Not from the pee, silly, from my mirth!).

There was the time I was in Massachusetts, and knew this police officer that was, uh, how to say it, accepting cable without paying for it? Like the poster above with the eviction notice, ON PLAIN PAPER, WITH A PLAIN ENVELOPE...not the cable company's logo, not EVEN with their phone number on it....I sent him a letter so crudely written, "Listen, man, stop stealing the cable, would you"? I mean, it was set up in a business format, but, I didn't really use proper business terms. Honest, it was that basic, phony account number, the works. I purposely did not include their phone number, return address or anything.

Would you believe this idiot looked the number up in the phone book and CALLED the cable company? SHEESH! At some point it dawned on Einstein that this was a prank, and he hung up...of course, I did NOT confess to that one...

smokey the elder
11-30-2005, 03:16 PM
My first job out of college was for a company that made glue. One product looked like gumballs. Favored pranks were to put Picketts into the QA officer's shoes, or fill his drawers with them. (DESK drawers! :p :) )

Alysser
11-30-2005, 05:21 PM
My dad doesn't like his boss to much so he sent him an e-mail that hhe hadn't paid a bill and it it would cost him over a million dollars in paying! He almost had a heart attack. My dad was laughing SO hard it's not even funny. Another time, about last christmas, my dad and two other co-workers put a VERY realistic looking reindeer in his office. IT WAS SO FUNNY! His boss was like so scared. He came out of the office screaming and yelling at his secratary to call animal control! She cracked up laughing. The whole office knew about. And another time my mom, who worked at target put a rubber,but VERY realistic, looking snake in the cash register. When, their boss, Joe I think his name was, looked in a co-worker made a hissing sound. Joe fell on the floor and everybody laughed. It was hilairous to hera about. :D

Alysser
11-30-2005, 05:22 PM
LOL! I ment reindeer statue. They added on the bells and harnesses lol