PDA

View Full Version : Do your dogs sleep in crates at night??

Jamieejo85
11-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Just wondering how many dogs sleep in crates at night. Chico does because he likes to try to tear up the couch pillows when no one is around. Guapo only sleeps in his crate if no one is home, otherwise he sleeps with me in my bed.

lute
11-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Gracie and Maggie sleep in crates in my room at night. Houston and Trudy stay in the kennel at night. Beanie does whatever he wants.

Kfamr
11-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Nope. None of my 3 do. They have the choice to sleep wherever they want.

Kiara and Nala usually come to bed with me, sometimes Simba too. But, he likes to sleep on the floor next to my parent's bed.

gemini9961
11-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Nope, no crates for mine. Grant sleeps on the couch. Sadie and Maggie are usually in bed with us. Sometimes they sleep under the bed or in the living room. They can sleep anywhere they want.

ramanth
11-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Kia used too. Then she was able to roam loose when I wasn't home or at night. But she tore some things up last night so she's back in the crate.

Bonny
11-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Our sons dog Max is a black lab & from a puppy on he has slept in a kennel. Our son had to invest in a huge Kennel because Max has grown into a huge dog. Our Australian Cattle dog is a couch lounger & sleeps on an old couch in the basement. My Australian Shepherd sleeps on the rug by my bed or on an old comforter blanket down on the floor.

LeahMM
11-29-2005, 12:31 PM
My foster is the only one that sleeps in the crate. Everyone else is with me.

4 Dog Mother
11-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Snoopy, Taggert and Pippi sleep in crates at night. Not because they would tear things up but because they think they all can sleep with us and we only have a queen size bed. Also Snoopy and Pippi like to play at night and I don't appreciate being awakened by their growls and barks trying to get each others toys. If they would lie on the floor or sleep on the couches in the family room or living room they would not have to stay in their crates. Dazzi usually sleeps in our room. Sometimes on the bed but a lot of time on the floor. Jack has a bed next to our bed and that is where he sleeps. He is the best - he rarely moves after he goes to bed!

Uabassoon
11-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Payson sleeps in his crate at night because he still isn't fully potty trained.

elizabethann
11-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Fenway sleeps with me. At only 19lbs. he hogs the bed!!

:D :)

PJ's Mom
11-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Neither of mine have ever seen a crate. ;)

poofy
11-29-2005, 01:22 PM
My 2 sleep with me..lol..its a real comfort to have them even with yollie so small..lol..she sleeps mostly up by my head on the pillow..and they both stay there all night.. :)

Jessika
11-29-2005, 01:24 PM
My two don't -- they don't have accidents overnight any more and sleep on the bed with us at night :)

luvofallhorses
11-29-2005, 02:27 PM
My dogs have never seen a crate either. :) and probably won't ever have to. :D

k9krazee
11-29-2005, 02:48 PM
No sleeping in crates here. Micki sleeps with my brother, Mini with my parents, Shadow usually on the couch and Jack with me. Kyra just recently lost all night privaliges because she was pooping on the floor almost every night. She isn't in a crate though, shes tied up to my bed.

finn's mom
11-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Not anymore. :)

lv4dogs
11-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Nanook & Raustyk have never even seen a crate until I got Kaige. lol

And Kaige hasn't slept in a crate since last Wed. He can hold it all night & hasn't chewed anything either. His crate is open though and sometimes he'll wander in there by himself and go to sleep.

ParNone
11-29-2005, 03:29 PM
None of mine have had to be crated at night, since they were puppies being housebroken.

I do however still have Gull's Crate up for barking time outs. If I'm on the phone or watching TV and he won't stop barking after I give him a warning, then I tell him to go get in his bed. Then he gets a short time out, just long enough for him to chill out.

This is getting rarer, but he seems to love sleeping in it, so I keep it up, even though it's a hassle to clean around. I gotta get a video of him opening the door to go in it, when I tell him to go get in his bed. It's a wee bit funny. :)

Par...

new mom to a veiled
11-29-2005, 04:04 PM
I don't think Thor has even seen a crate.....He sleeps right between hubby and I........Tyson is way to little to leave out!!!!! Once he is fully potty trained, I'll try him with us........

Daisy and Delilah
11-29-2005, 04:09 PM
We don't own a crate. Daisy and Delilah would laugh if they saw one ;)

slleipnir
11-29-2005, 04:10 PM
I never crate my dogs. Only Zeke at flyball practice for a couple hours inbetween runs.

.sarah
11-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Oh man, I'm so surprised to see that most don't use a crate :eek:

My dogs all sleep in one for different reasons. Mandy has dominance issues. Nova chews on stuff if you don't watch her. Luka I just prefer to crate her, as she is new here and I don't want her thinking she rules the roost. Nova actually LOVES her crate because I have used it since day 1. The doors are open during the day and she'll go in there to sleep. Luka is getting used to it ... Mandy still hates it since we just started crating her last week and before that she hadn't been in a crate since she was a puppy.

I think crates are wonderful :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Keeva sleeps in a crate at night and Tia has been the past few months only because niether of them behave during the night.

tz1
11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I crated zero since I got him, and I think it helped prevent accidents in the house...Now that he never goes in the house anymore , I just leave the door open...he goes in & out and is free to sleep where he wants.

one thing most people find strange is that zero never took a #2 in the house ever, and peed under 5 times...i got him when he was 8 weeks old...quick learner ;)

LKPike
11-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Jillie and Frankie both sleep in their kennels at night, when I get home from work around 4:AM I let Jillie out to sleep in the bed with us, though. :)

.sarah
11-29-2005, 06:18 PM
I crated zero since I got him, and I think it helped prevent accidents in the house...Now that he never goes in the house anymore , I just leave the door open...he goes in & out and is free to sleep where he wants.

one thing most people find strange is that zero never took a #2 in the house ever, and peed under 5 times...i got him when he was 8 weeks old...quick learner ;)
I can beat that ;)

Mandy peed once. We got her when she was 8 weeks, as well.

tricollie4me
11-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Bijou is always crated at night. We keep our crate in the kitchen, and she typically wanders into it on her own at about 10:00 p.m. or so and snuggles in for the night...sometimes we really have to coax her out in order to potty her one last time before we go to bed -- she knows it's her cozy place and hers alone! With five people-kids and three cats along with Bijou, we have a very busy household -- it's very nice to know that our pup has a secure, comfy place of her own. We didn't begin crating her until about 5 months old, though -- when we first got her, we just gated the kitchen off and kept her there at night...then Bijou began to jump over the gates and get into mischief just like healthy, curious puppies tend to do! I'm now very much a supporter of kenneling pups; however, it's our eventual wish to give Bijou free reign of the house once she's a bit more mature and less likely to instigate a nocturnal chase-about with the cats (what are the odds? lol!).

KYS
11-29-2005, 07:32 PM
I used to have a crate on each side of my bed. (Door left open)
Sheba loved her crate, but with her hips getting so bad,
she could no longer get out once she got in.
So now Rocky has the only crate.
He goes in and out of during the night.
He is fickle and can't make up his mind where he wants to sleep. :)

Vette
11-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Yep my dog sleeps in his crate at night.
and when were not here.

its not that i dont trust him at night,, i just dont like having worry about stepping on him in the dark,, or rolling over on him in bed.. and i used to sleep with my bridge dog Tasha.. and i didnt like it made my sheets feel like i was sleeping on cookie crumbs or flea eggs. so Kirby is a crate dog,, and any futre dogs are going to be crated at night

anna_66
11-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Nope no crating here. Roxey was crated when she was a pup to keep her from pottying in the house but that didn't last long! She was a howler and we couldn't stand to leave her in it :o

Bon never was crated at night. We tried once, he cried which was so pitiful so we let him on the bed. He was afraid to try and jump down so I never worried that he would try to potty in the house.

And Huney, the only time she's crated is when we are in the car. She's never pottied in the house! What a good girl she is!!!

.sarah
11-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Bon never was crated at night. We tried once, he cried which was so pitiful so we let him on the bed. He was afraid to try and jump down so I never worried that he would try to potty in the house.
Oh man, Nova was the same. She was afraid to jump off my bed up until a couple months ago. Such big dogs to be afraid of something like that! Actually, come to think of it, she still doesn't jump off. I had gotten a new piece of furniture that sits at the end of my bed and she steps off onto that and then the ground. I guess that's easier on her hips, though.

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-29-2005, 07:47 PM
yup, Blaze sleeps in his crate...he's too restless otherwise! (especially sleeping with him...whew!) And he knows once he's in bed, it's time to sleep, not play!:p;)

Alysser
11-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Sassy is crated at night because when she poops she eats it. She LOVES her crate anyway so it doesn't matter to her. She is also crated while we're out for the same reason. She is VERY good in her crate so it doesn't matter.

dogzr#1
11-29-2005, 08:02 PM
None of my dogs have ever seen a crate. They sleep wherever they want to.

Cincy'sMom
11-29-2005, 08:13 PM
All of ours started in crates until they were housebroken (or in Spot's case, he had worms when we got him). They now all sleep in our room.

wolf_Q
11-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Nebo sleeps in my room at night. I doubt he'd ever ruin anything in the house at night (never has in my room) but I'd rather he just stay in my room just in case. ;) I have a crate in my room, he slept in it when he was a puppy...then he graduated to full room night priviledges...now he has full room night priviledges + bed priviledges lol. I took the door off the crate and it has a dog bed in it. He sleeps in it sometimes or the floor, or my bed.

Pam
11-29-2005, 08:58 PM
No crates here any more. Once they are housebroken they are allowed in the Big Bed.

chocolatepuppy
11-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Lacey and Mandy are only confined when we're not home. ;)

sammy101
11-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Nope,no crates here. Lucy slept in a crate when we first got her because she wasnt pottytrained yet. Kodie sleeps on my bed, and Lucy sleeps downstairs with my parents.They both sleep with me on the weekends though :p

BitsyNaceyDog
11-29-2005, 10:35 PM
he knows once he's in bed, it's time to sleep, not play!:p;)
That's one of the main reasons my dogs sleep in there crates. The cats get them all riled up, so crating them keeps them calm. They love being in their crates and often sleep in them during the day (when the door is open).

cocker_luva
11-29-2005, 11:00 PM
no jesse sleeps on the bottom of the stairs, couch, rug, and some other places.

Sky57
12-02-2005, 11:10 AM
I had never used a crate until I got my Westie a few months ago. I had done research on this seemingly cruel practise and became a convert. The crate was brilliant for toilet training, but now Jindi still sleeps in her crate. Sometimes she starts the night on our bed, but I'm always afriad of her falling off the bed and hruting herself. She is not flexible like our kelpie and I do think she could fall off and hurt herself. So sometimes she starts on the bed but later I get her to go into her crate.

She loves her crate and I love that she loves her crate. And its all she has known for ngiht time. Its in our bedroom with us. She doesnt; need it anymore for toilet training and maybe as she gest older I will leave the door open so she can go in and out as she please. I would like to keep her in the habit of using her crate though so that if she ever is in it for travel or to keep her safe from something or for recovering from a health issue or whateevr it might be, that it is not foreign to her. Having a dog crate trained is a wonderful thing. Its not cruel if done properly. If your dog happily goes in and out of the crate then you know you have trained them well and its not cruel at all.