PDA

View Full Version : OTC medications - skin irritations?

JenBKR
11-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Roscoe has a spot that looks like a skin irritation (almost like something has been rubbing up against it) and this morning it didn't look too good. I have a call in to the vet, but I was wondering if there are any OTC products (antiseptic or something like that) that would help in the meantime. He keeps licking it, and I want to get him to leave it alone. Anyone ever use anything that works well? Thanks!

lv4dogs
11-29-2005, 10:59 AM
There are a few products out there that you can use but you'll have to figure out what it is first.

If it's an allergy benadryl can help but you have to find out what he is allergic to and remove that from his diet or surroundings in order to keep it away.

If it is itchy or swollen again benadryl can help with that too but again if its something more than just irritated skin (hot spot or something) you'd have to get him on other meds too to clear it up fully.

If it's a lick granuloma you'll have to figure out if it is caused by boredom or by something else. A lot of things even things that are not visable can cause a lick granuloma, like little pockets of bacteria under the skin, a broken or irritated hair folicle, ingrown hair, plugged and scarred oil glands and dilated and inflamed capillaries or just caused by a simple small cut or sore.

Or it could just be a sore or cut & nothing else.

You can apply neosporin to the area if the skin is broken. It will help heal it. A small amount will not hurt the dog if he licks it off but you want it to stay on so it works. It's best to apply it when he is sleeping, before going for a walk or when he's eating a meal or a chew treat.

If it a hot sopt you don't want to cover it. A hot spot needs air (and antiobiotics usually) to cure it. They often shave the area around a hot spot. If it is a lick granuloma, depending on the cause, sometimes they can be covered with a bandage sometimes not.

To be safe I'd say you can give him benadryl and I'd probably invest in some bitter apple (if your dog dislikes the taste anyways). The vet can give you the proper dose by phone. Benadryl usually makes a dog a little sleepy so don't be alarmed if he's a little lethargic afterwards. But it would probably do him good so he's not bothering it.The bitter apple can be applied to the skin & fur around the affected area, it should deter him from licking that area.

JenBKR
11-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Thank you so much for your help. I gave him Benadryl last night, but this morning I looked at it again and it looks infected now. *sigh* poor guy. I probably didn't notice it soon enough. I'll have to get him in to the vet. I doubt there's anything I can do for him over the counter now...

lv4dogs
11-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Aw poor Roscoe. Hope he gets better soon. Good luck at the vets!

Glacier
11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Too late to help you this time, but I use Bag Balm on minor skin irritations. It's actually for cow udders, but it works great!

Hope your pupper is healed up quickly.

JenBKR
11-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys. I feel so bad...I made an appointment for tomorrow at 1:30 - it was the soonest I could get him in. Poor guy. Glacier I will keep that in mind in case we have this problem again, maybe I can catch it sooner.

lv4dogs
11-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Too late to help you this time, but I use Bag Balm on minor skin irritations. It's actually for cow udders, but it works great!

Hope your pupper is healed up quickly.

I forgot about that. Bag Balm is awesome stuff, you can use it for so many things.
I also forgot about tee tree oil but it should only be used in VERY TINY amounts.

poofy
11-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Hope hes is better soon.. :(

Glacier
11-30-2005, 02:48 PM
I forgot about that. Bag Balm is awesome stuff, you can use it for so many things.

You can even use it on yourself. I use it on my hands in the winter when I am exposing them to alot of cold.

RoseyRose
11-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi, I'm new to Pet Talk. Sorry to hear about your Rosco. My vet has me use Mentholatum around the area, but not to close to the sore. Just to keep them from licking it and making it worse. They don't like the smell, but it's not harmful. Hope everything works out ok.

JenBKR
11-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Hi, I'm new to Pet Talk. Sorry to hear about your Rosco. My vet has me use Mentholatum around the area, but not to close to the sore. Just to keep them from licking it and making it worse. They don't like the smell, but it's not harmful. Hope everything works out ok.

Thanks for the idea, and welcome to Pet Talk!

JenBKR
12-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Roscoe went to the vet today - he gave us an antibiotic and said to keep putting neosporin on it (I've been doing that the past few days). He should be feeling better in the next few days. I feel like a bad mommy because I didn't notice it sooner :(

beeniesmom
12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Roscoe went to the vet today - he gave us an antibiotic and said to keep putting neosporin on it (I've been doing that the past few days). He should be feeling better in the next few days. I feel like a bad mommy because I didn't notice it sooner :(

No, you know that you are a good Mommy. :D
Sometimes these little things go unnoticed. I'm guilty of the same. :p
I hope he'll be all better soon.

JenBKR
12-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Aww you are always so sweet. Thank you for your kind words :)