PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins?

Former User
04-01-2002, 10:37 AM
Is there a need for vitamins other than for those C & K get from the wet food and dry food they eat? They eat Whiskas dry and wet food (they get a bit of wet food in the evening and morning) and Friskies dry food (we change the flavour when bag is empty so they don't have to eat same flavour again and again....So, any need for more vitamins?

Our vet isn't the best in the world and we can't get all information from him (if we want to know more, we have to pull the info out of him, and that's not nice I think!), but we are in a process of changing a vet. We had to take this vet because we don't have a car yet and he lives close by. But soon we'll have a car and we can go to this other vet who is immensely good (so my friend told me!). So, in the meanwhile, I ask this question from you guys.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-01-2002, 10:45 AM
I don't know as they need vitamins since they are both healthy. I give Leonardo one a day to keep his system as healthy as possible because of his allergies. The others who are healthy don't get them regularly unless I see a sniffle or something coming on. I use a chewable vitamin I get from their vet. Does that help any?;)

Former User
04-01-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
[color=darkviolet]I use a chewable vitamin I get from their vet. [color];)

Wow, and you actually get him to eat it? We had to give C & K some pills after their operations, and they didn't take them, had to smash them and mix them up with their food, KIDS!!! :rolleyes: ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
04-01-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty

Wow, and you actually get him to eat it?

They get a brand called FaVor. I have to break the tablets into 4 pieces so they can eat them better. The cats all love them except Luke. He'll have none of it. There is also a paste-like that comes in a tube. It's real sticky and you put a bit on the cats nose then they eat it. Luke loves that and will eat it right out of the tube. I can't remember the name of it right now. I usually keep it on hand but have been out and not stocked back up. It's usually used on sick cats because it's highly concentrated. I'm not sure if these are available world wide or not. But with your healthy babies, I wouldn't worry about it.

AmberLee
04-01-2002, 01:11 PM
I asked my vet about vitamins for the furkids and he said it was only needed if they were ill or when they got much older... for what it's worth.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Another "for what it's worth" here. As you know, Tubby is soon to be 16, and Peanut is soon to be 14 and I've never given them vitamin supplements. The have been fed Science Diet dry food for the majority of their lives, most recently the "senior" formula. I have never given them canned food because I figured if I did, they'd never go back to the dry. 6 months ago I took them both in for a checkup. The Vet said Peanut was "perfect" and Tubby's only problem are his kidneys, and those are under control now. So I guess my point is that I wouldn't say that vitamins are unnecessary, but unless there's a reason (illness, etc) I don't think they are entirely necessary either.

Good luck with you new Vet. It's nice to have one that is helpful and volunteers information, especially when he can see that you are new "parents" and have many questions. :)

4 feline house
04-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Although the vitamins will not likely do them harm ( I'm sure you don't plan on giving them massive doses!) they really don't need them unless, like already mentioned, they are ill or old.

Good for you on getting a car!