PDA

View Full Version : A weekend of rescuing......kittens that is...

carole
11-28-2005, 06:22 PM
This is a long post, be warned .
Well this weekend just gone was a harrowing time for us all, the weather was ghastly and my daughter Melissa had decided that it was time we rescued the kittens from next door,(some of you will know i have a terrible and irresponsible neighbour behind me who lets her cats continually breed feral cats and takes no responsibility for them whatsoever, she is the one who let one of them suffer terribly, and denied ownership when the SPCA tried to prosecute her)

Her cat who is named Victoria had five kittens, they are around five weeks old and were suffering eye infections, we managed to get one little boy on Friday, a white kitty with black splotches we named Specs, then on saturday which was the worst weather you can imagine , Victoria kept bringing out one kitten at a time on the back doorstep , so Melissa went and grabbed one at a time, getting bit by Miss fiesty the pretty and only calico girl, we named her Tori after her mother, and then the little jet black boy Midnight, and the little ginger boy Skittles, we were very fortunate Melissa's cat shelter she volunteers for agreed to take them all in, even though it is against policy because Mama is not spayed, they now all have a chance of getting tamed and good homes and getting their eye infections cleared up. I left a twenty dollar donation, not much but it all helps., and Melissa has specifically asked to be on duty the day they get adopted out, I forgot silly me to take pics, but will get some eventually., hopefully.

Now there is another set of kittens about three weeks old, I can get the shelter to take them if i can persuade this woman to agree to spaying the cats, Duchess her other cat, Victorias mother is due any day to have a litter, so all in all there are three cats needing spayed,there is also another one the brother or sister to the injured kitty, but it seems to have disappeared.

I know she will not pay for it, so I have to raise the money to get it done, I can get it done for fourty dollars each which is under half the normal price, and i want to get them de-flead and wormed for the first time ever in their life i imagine.I am thinking of holding a garage sale and getting my friends to donate items and raising it that way.Of course if she does not agree I am stumped, I legally cannot take them and do it., but lets hope it does not come to that.

I have been supplementing their food, as I know she only feeds them now and then, and we have a nursing mother, a pregnant one and the other thin mother from whom we took the kittens, today was awesome, i feed them through a hole in the fence further down as I do not want her to see me doing it, as she will probably not bother feeding them at all then, and i can only afford so much, but today I called and they came running and Victoria was eating as i was putting it in the bowl and i managed to pat her even though she hissed and spat at me, they are really semi-feral as only this woman can touch them no-one else, but it is a step in the right direction, they are beginning to trust me a little. I am going to call the other young kitty mother Zara, so she is no longer a no-name keeping in line with the naming of the kitties after the royal family lol, pity this woman did not treat her cats like royalty instead of just naming them after them.

This whole situation has been overwhelming for me and has taken its toll, and i still see no real solution here, but i will try my darnest, to help these kitties, and Donna thank you for being my friend through all of this and being that person i could confide in and lean on , it has been so appreciated.

I have to say I am very proud of my Melissa, she has sheer determination that girl of mine, she had made her mind up she was getting those kitties no matter what, standing out in the pouring rain and cold did not phase her, I think i see a kitty rescuer in the making. :)

CagneyDog
11-28-2005, 06:35 PM
What an awful neighbour. I feel so bad for those cats :( Thank god you and Mellissa are helping them. You two are amazing! Good Luck! I hope you guys are able to help them.

moosmom
11-28-2005, 06:59 PM
I have to say I am very proud of my Melissa, she has sheer determination that girl of mine, she had made her mind up she was getting those kitties no matter what, standing out in the pouring rain and cold did not phase her, I think i see a kitty rescuer in the making

Like Mother, like daughter!! I am also proud of BOTH of you for taking charge and trying to get those precious babies away from that idiot.

Donna thank you for being my friend through all of this and being that person i could confide in and lean on , it has been so appreciated

That's what friends are for!! ;)

BIG (((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))) to you both.

carole
11-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Aww thanks Donna :o I could not have got through it all without you , still soldiering on here. ;)

poofy
11-28-2005, 10:55 PM
I hope that lady will agree to it..Great job your doing there.. :)

moosmom
11-29-2005, 06:53 AM
Carole,

How is Melissa's bite wound?? I hope it didn't get infected.

Corinna
11-29-2005, 10:44 AM
It seems to me if the woman isn't caring for the moms how about they disappear too? That solves a lot of the problem. Praying you have a great garage sale to help these poor kitties. Looks like the compassion gene is strong in your daughter.

carole
11-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Donna Melissa's wound seems fine, but will keep an eye on it, was not a very big bite, so it should be ok.

Corinna the trouble with nabbing her kitties is there is no-one to take them, as they are semi-feral and no-one wants to adopt them and the shelters cannot take them, so the best i can do for them is to get them de-sexed and supplement their food as long as they are living nearby, just had a donation from my neighbour the one who has lost George, of some nice kitty food to help me out.

carole
11-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I have GREAT NEW, GREAT NEWS, I saw the woman outside and decided its now or never, i approached her , and it took a lot of courage on my part, my heart was pounding like crazy, i was a nice a pie to her, and guess what SHE AGREED to letting me take the cats to be spayed at my cost of course, but she did offer me something for my trouble, i declined because i don't want her to change her mind , go back on it and say i have not money to give you or whatever, at the end if she wants to give me something , then i will donate it to the Human Alternative Cat Shelter, at first she said she would do it all, but i know there is no way in hell she will, I have to be responsible and do it for her, sure as heck not giving her the chitty to get it done cheap and know that she won't even bother, so hopefully next week folks Victoria will get spayed, all going to plan, i did ask her to keep her in for a few days and I will provide a kitty litter and pan, and she said she would, but that remains to be seen.

Of course she was all nicey nicey, and thanked me and said i was a nice neighbour, whatever, underneath I truely hate the woman, but one must put on a good front for the kitties sake and to get done what needs to be done, she still denied the other cat, she brought it up , so i just let it slide, no use getting into an argument , will defeat my whole purpose, still a problem with the one I named Zara, which is her cats kitten from last year, she is saying its a stray that comes to feed when she feeds hers, but i know the truth, but she has babies and will need to be trapped somehow, as she says she cannot get near it either, Victoria her cat even hissed and spat at her when she picked her up, might have been because i was there who knows.

There is something else NEAT i want to share with you all but until i have permission I cannot say anything just yet, but i sure hope i can eventually share this with you all soon.

carole
11-30-2005, 02:08 AM
OK now I can tell you all what i have been dying to tell you, not that it was a secret but I thought it was courtesy to ask the person if it was ok for me to tell you , one of our wonderful PT members Lisa Kuhio98 has donated the money needed to spay both of the neighbours kittys, without this I was struggling to get it raised in time to have the first kitty spayed, now i am able thanks to her wonderful generosity, I will book Victoria in next wednesday and hopefully everything will go according to plan.

Words alone cannot express how grateful I am to Lisa, this is a wonderful gesture, one I willingly accept as I now know these kitties are going to have a better life, no longer continually breeding, unwanted sick feral babies, I wish their lives could be as my cats and that of PT, but I can find comfort in knowing they will be better off than they were before and at least they are not complete strays, they do have access to food, although not as our kitties are accustomed but their lives will be a little better now.

Bless you Lisa and hubby, you have made me the happiest person in the world today,it is no wonder I love PT so much, just look at the awesome people here ,Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and to everyone who has offered advice, support to me through all of this, I now can see light at the end of the tunnel, at long last.

Thank you, Thank you, Lisa you are the best. :)