PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinion...

moosmom
11-28-2005, 04:41 PM
As you know, I've been feeding two neighborhood strays, Fluffy and Mama Midnight, since I arrived in CT.

Here's the link:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=93750&highlight=Midnight+Fluffy

Well, tonight I went out and was petting Fluffy while her mama ate. They're both pretty friendly, although Mama seems to be a little more shy than her kid.

So, I went to go inside and asked Fluffy if she wanted to come in. She came right up to the door. My heart broke!! :(

If my roommate wasn't home, I would've attempted it, of course making sure my cats were in my room with the door closed, just to see what Fluffy would do. The thing is, Mama is so used to hanging around with Fluffy. I'd love to get them both inside, but I don't think Mama would go for it.

What do you think I should do? My main concern is Mama being lonely, all alone out there in the cold.

Any comments???

catmandu
11-28-2005, 04:53 PM
I think that if you took Fluffy in,and then her Mama would want to come in now.
she would see her Baby safe and warm,and eventually she would want to come in too.
Tuna Fish makes a very good incentive!!

kimlovescats
11-28-2005, 05:25 PM
You could just try it, and always let mama back out if she just isn't happy. At least you'll know you tried! ;)

Kim

kb2yjx
11-28-2005, 05:34 PM
I agree with Kim and Gary!!! You have nothing to lose, but have to lovely cats to gain!!!! They both are beautiful cats!!! Good luck and keep us posted! Sandra

moosmom
11-28-2005, 05:46 PM
The thing is I doubt I'd be able to get Mama to come in. Fluffy looks very eager and loves being petted. She even rolls on her back for belly rubs. I don't want to stress Mama out by taking away her baby.

G535
11-28-2005, 05:46 PM
I would not separate them, either both in or both out. If you can't get them both in then some extra warm bedding in the garage should help. We need lots more people like you to help these poor cats all over the world. :)

Laura's Babies
11-28-2005, 05:48 PM
I agree.... I was going to say BEFORE I read what they wrote that if you let Fluffy inside and the Mama saw she was comfortable and happy being there, that she may not be so afraid and give it a try. TUNA? Yea, just inside the door where she could get a good whif of it and have the safelty net of the door open so if she gets spooked she could run back outside. (to start with)

Randi
11-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Donna, before you consider trying to take them in, will you be sure you are allowed to keep them where you live?

When we first got Fister up here, we were in the same dilemma, about whether to "steal" him from his mom. Well, at least she had other company in the yard. :)

We did it the way Laura's Babies describes, by enticing him up the staircase with food, and then into the kitchen - further and further, until one day he wanted to go all the way in to the bedroom. However, if the door was closed, he was crying to get out, and he didn't want to stay for long to begin with, but after a few months he stayed the night.

As you know, now he rules the place and is hardly never out!!

moosmom
11-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I also have to consider my roommate. He likes my cats. But I'm not sure how he'd react if he saw the girls in the apt. Besides, I don't want to step on Joe and Toni's toes, since they've been feeding the girls LONG before I got there.

catland
11-29-2005, 03:08 PM
You said they live in the garage? Is there power to it? Maybe you can work with your neighbors to create a warm box with a light bulb or something. We did that, just with an old milk crate, a theromstat, some styrofoam, and a light bulb. (it was a long time ago, sorry I don't have any pics).

Whatever happens, I do think that every effort should be made to keep them together. Good luck.

QueenScoopalot
11-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Styrofoam bins are often thrown away by large vet clinics, and these make the best shelters for cats in the Winter.I've used them for ferals for years now, and one bitter cold Winter when I was feeding, one feral wasn't moving and I thought she was dead in the bin. Turns out she didn't want to come out of her oven! I stuck my hand in there a few minutes later and it was very toasty inside! :eek: It would be nice for the two kitties to live inside seeing as they are seniors, but I don't think I'd let in one without the other. If you can get a bin big enough for the two to get in...let me know and I'll give you tips on how I set them up for maximum warmth. ;)

moosmom
11-29-2005, 07:16 PM
The garage has no heat. Basically there are two boxes with quilts in them and feeding dishes. They rely on me and the girls in the law offices to feed them during the week. Toni and Joe come on the weekends. There's really no way to set up any heat or lights in the garage.

I wouldn't think about separating them.